Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
And you do know the housing prices in Chicago have been falling..and just bc the houses cost that much doesnt mean they are selling
Just looking at zillow, there have been are at least two dozen houses/condos that have sold for between 500K and 2 million in that neighborhood in the last 24 months. That's not where it was, but it goes to show that the market is still there.

I lived near Wolcott and Chicago for a couple years around 2000. The area might not be entirely sanitized of crime, but I can tell you it is completely different than when I was there. It went from a working class majority Hispanic neighborhood w/ a noticeable white hipster minority (except closer to western, where it was still E. European) to an area today that is roughly 80% white, middle class, and youngish. The median household income of the area (Ashland-Western/Chicago-Division) is roughly 65K. 20% of households in that area get by on less than 30K a year...which is about the same as Wheaton.

Most of the families I encountered when living there were very good people, but there were gangs and a couple "problem houses" on nearly every block. Some of those "problem houses" still exist, but I'd say 75% of them are gone. Gangs are still there, but they're on their dying breaths in that area. Crime is still a problem here or there--I know of a guy who was beaten walking home from a bar to his place near Augusta/Wolcott. Still, the area is nothing like it was and is overwhelmingly a yuppie place to live these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
Ukranian Village is working class. Yes, there are a some yuppies, but it's hardly upper middle class. Lots of Section 8 housing, lots of families under the poverty line....

Lakeview is upper middle class. Lincoln Park is upper middle class. Ukranian Village is most definitely not.
Rent/Home Prices/Condo Prices in UK Village have risen tremendously since the 80's. MI_OH, you seem to be defining UK Village as it was 10-25 years ago... it's a new ball game, homes are minimum $400K, condos are minimum $200K. It's a fairly high rent area now, it's not Lincoln Park... yet, but it's moving that way.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faintlyamused View Post
2 Shot, Critically Wounded In Ukrainian Village Robberies « CBS Chicago

"Both victims were shot during robberies. Details of the robbery in the first incident were not available, but in the second, the victim told detectives he was walking home on Thomas Street when a man approached him from behind, demanded his money and took his backpack. Reports do not indicate that the victim resisted the robber, but he was still shot in the face."

Ugh.
You folks (my good neighbors) to the south of me are experiencing alot of shootings and homicides this year for some reason/s.
All I see is your chief of police doing is giving press conferences, but no real tangible action to curb the violence.
I also do not see Rahm doing much about the violence either.
Is this going to be the precedent for the future?
It used to be where ever there was gang violence or gand activity, police used to position themselves in those areas as a presence, to let the people in gangs that police were seconds away. Whatever happened to police presence? or, aren't there that many cops to cover all the areas?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Larry you do know that the Satan Disciples..Insane Ashland Vikings..Harrison Gents..gangs call UK village their home right
No I have not heard of these people but they sound like heavy metal rock bands. Are they any good?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No I have not heard of these people but they sound like heavy metal rock bands. Are they any good?
I know (or hope) you're being sarcastic, but this actually pretty consistent with the naivete of wannabe yuppies in recently-gentrifying neighborhoods, aka the same type of people who would pretend Ukrainian Village is "established upper-middle class," so it wouldn't surprise anyone if you actually believed this.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 AM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You should check out some of their "greatest hits"! Seeing these groups can be a real "blast"!

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week

Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I know (or hope) you're being sarcastic, but this actually pretty consistent with the naivete of wannabe yuppies in recently-gentrifying neighborhoods, aka the same type of people who would pretend Ukrainian Village is "established upper-middle class," so it wouldn't surprise anyone if you actually believed this.
I said middle- to upper-middle class. My son lived there for years without encountering any crime problems. I realize there are some lower-income people in the area, but it wouldn't occur to me to worry about safety when taking a late-night walk there. Lower-income doesn't mean criminal. In fact, many of the young people who have settled in and around UKV are lower-income and might be counted as lower-class if they weren't almost certainly going to earn much higher incomes later in their lives, but they're not lower *class* because class is a matter of background, attitude, and expectations, not income. (Thus a student at an elite private university living on $5000 a year while he is in school can be upper class.)

My comment about the gang names sounding a little like Insane Clown Posse was deadly serious. Not.

Oh, by the way, Insane Clown Posse is the name of a band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago