Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is another place I'd move back to tomorrow if an opportunity came up to do so. I didn't bring it up because it doesn't fit the OP criteria. But since it's been mentioned repeatedly by others, might as well run with it.

Pittsburgh today is basically where Chicago was in the early 1990s when redevelopment was just starting to reach critical mass. Now's a good time to get in on the Pittsburgh market. The price run-up is already well underway in the East End, near north and near south sides. But there are still good, safe, and stable areas that are ripe for urban renewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,681 times
The only other mid-West city I would move to is Minneapolis/St. Paul, but the cold weather there is worse than in Chicago. Still, I like it there wherever I visit.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Ft Wayne was mentioned on NPR this morning. They said Ft Wayne has the highest Burmese population in the US, some 5000 Burmese, and the pro-democracy leader of Myanmar visited for that reason.

Thousands of Burmese to greet Suu Kyi in Fort Wayne, Indiana | abc7chicago.com
This is precisely why I would live there. Actually it is basically the reason I moved to Indiana. After traveling to Burma, I fell in love with the country and am trying to learn the language. Indiana has great volunteer opportunities with the Burmese, and linguists at the college who can teach the language. Very rare to find.

I saw Daw Kyi in Fort Wayne today. It was unbelievable--a true once in a lifetime experience. The city is speckled with elements of Burmese culture. And I love it!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
If we were going to move somewhere other than Chicago or St. Louis at this point it would probably be Pittsburgh; there really is a lot to like about that town.

I always feel as though Indianapolis lacks the rust belt grit and neighborhood feel of other midwestern cities -- like the Midwest for those who don't really like the Midwest. Not a fan. Actually reminds me a great deal of Kansas City FWIW.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If we were going to move somewhere other than Chicago or St. Louis at this point it would probably be Pittsburgh; there really is a lot to like about that town.

I always feel as though Indianapolis lacks the rust belt grit and neighborhood feel of other midwestern cities -- like the Midwest for those who don't really like the Midwest. Not a fan. Actually reminds me a great deal of Kansas City FWIW.
Indianapolis has no character.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

I guess, knowing your sentiments about Kansas City, that that would be damning Indy with faint praise.

Pittsburgh is an interesting town, although its subway is very limited; one negative aspect: its airport is a LONG, LONG way from the city center...

Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I really don't hate Kansas City; it just is what it is. Despite the protestations of some who live here, it's simply not a town that feels all that Midwestern to me -- at least not the Midwest I've grown up with and love. Those huge city limits, the general sprawl and the lack of well delineated urban neighborhoods with their own flair. And for me, it's become clear: It's just not far enough along in the urban movement. It's got quite the conservative regressive streak to it that isn't a great fit for me.

But there are others for whom it's perfect and who can't stand St. Louis and cities to the east. So obviously it's all relative.

edit: And FWIW, Kansas City International is farther away from downtown than Pittsburgh and there is zero public transportation there. Not even a bus.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Indianapolis has no character.
Wrong.
But your trolling and its obivious.
so carry along.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
But your trolling and its obivious.
so carry along.
How am I wrong? Indy is essentially a giant Schaumburg.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I guess, knowing your sentiments about Kansas City, that that would be damning Indy with faint praise.

Pittsburgh is an interesting town, although its subway is very limited; one negative aspect: its airport is a LONG, LONG way from the city center...
It's no further away than ORD and you face a lot less congestion getting to/from it. Unless you travel frequently for work, I should think the airport's distanceto the city center would be pretty far on the list of one's quality-of-life concerns when considering where to live Even if it is a major concern, it can be largely mitigated by living on the south or west side. The major downside is no rail connection (that's in the long-term plans if PAT and the state can ever get their fiscal act together) but there is express bus service.

The light-rail system may be limited but there are also 3 BRT lines so there are 5 dedicated public transit ROW's (though one of the light rail lines operates as a street-car line for about a mile and a half.) The bigger issue with public transportation is the near-impossibility of providing efficient or even comprehensive cross-town coverage due to the geographical barriers and how the city is laid out around those barriers. PGH's public transportation system is even more CBD-oriented than ours since not only do the rapid-transit ROW's (rail and bus) head to and from there but so do most bus routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago