Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times

Advertisements

I actually vastly preferred shopping in the North/Clybourn corridor using public transit. Parking is a damn nightmare right there. It would be easy peasy if you are anywhere off the red line because the stop is right there. We used the North Ave bus, which picked me up less than a stone's throw from my apartment and dropped me off right where I wanted to be. I remember one late fall day my best friend was in town and we went on a massive shopping binge there. Good memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,178,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
So IMO, cars today are practically maintenance free.
Most things are relatively maintenance-free if you don't use them. It's just that not using them also makes it pointless to own them.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Depends how much you want to use it. I mean if you are only going to use a car a few times a month then probably zip car will not cost you that much. If you are going to spending $2000 a year on zip car than it may make sense to look at owning.

I would think that if you took basic care of your car it would survive. All I ever do is oil changes, tires every 40K miles and brakes every 40K miles. Also I spend a few bucks on wipers and windshield fluid. Really that is all a car needs. And if you never drive those things don't really need to be done very often at all. So IMO, cars today are practically maintenance free. I had my last car for 8 years and it ran with no issues and those items are all I ever did. If you listen to the dealer than you will spend a lot more but that is not really what your manufacturer tells you to do.
Sure, if you're spending $2000/yr on zipcar, then maybe its better to get a car. Then again, I'd say the typical zip car user only uses a car for about 10 hours a month, which would be no where near 2k/yr.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,310 times
Default SpotHero - Reserve Parking Online for Downtown Chicago

If you're driving in the City of Chicago, parking is one of the major pain points. We wanted to make this pain go away, so we came up with SpotHero (Find Chicago Parking) - you can search for the best priced parking deals at tons of garages and lots around Chicago, reserve a space online or via our iphone app, and park without the hassle of finding parking spaces on the street and without a worry of costly tickets.

If there's any way I can personally help, email me at info@spothero.com and mention city-data and we'll work to get you the best parking to meet your needs, whether you want daily or monthly parking at any of our locations across Chicago. We're always working to improve our site, app, selection, and service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago