Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

I'll be coming to the Chicago area over the holidays for a couple weeks to spend time with family and friends three months from now, and have a crapload of books, music, and movies, in my dads basement.

I obviously want to get them off my hands, yet still get the best price for them.

Obviously websites like Ebay are where you go to get the most out of your used stuff, but Ebay does take a lot work.

Living a good chunk of my life in the nortwest suburbs, there was/still is a store called Top Shelf that bought your used books. But I want to find the best place to go to get the most to just drop off, rather than run an online store. I'm thinking there are places in the city that are much better.

And if I come home a few days before Christmas, I could possibly get a better deal, I wonder as people might be looking for last minute unique gift ideas, as I have a lot of stuff in very good condition.

I know Half Price Books has several locations. Any experience?
Powells Books is a bit more selective. Any experience?

For music, I know there is a place called Reckless Records, with two locations. Have a whole bunch of CDs. There are always kids rediscovering old music. I think they also take movies too.

And suggestions or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 AM

749 posts, read 580,033 times
I usually go to Myopic Books, about 1500 north Milwaukee. It is a very large packed book store. They will buy books only on Saturdays and Friday evenings though and they are picky. They give store credit or cash. They dont take textbooks at all. Books should be in very good condition.

Many places take CD's, including one in Oak Park and two in Forest Park on Madison Street. Do not expect to get much money unless your CDs are very special or uncommon and saleable. Also Remember When in Downers Grove, I think. HalfPrice Books offer a pittance for most books. I do not trade there.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks. Yeah, thats what I thought about Half Price Books. I will check into Myopic Books. I have some quality books, so I think it should be good. I do have books that were required texts for classes in the past, but are not necessarily textbooks per se. We'll see.

Thanks for the recommendation on the music. Oak Park/Forest Park was my neighborhood before I moved out to California.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Myopic books yeah. Almost next to that is Reckless Records. Theres also one in Lakeview (Broadway and Barry). They might not but everything from you (depends on what you have and the condition). They will but almost every music and movie medium. They will but music or pop culture related books too..at least at the,Lakeview location.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 PM

211 posts, read 394,756 times
Your idea of a "good price" (whatever it may be), will not happen dealing with local re-sale "busnesses".

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Your idea of a "good price" (whatever it may be), will not happen dealing with local re-sale "busnesses".
So then do you have an actual suggestion of an alternative?

And why businesses in quotes? Are you suggesting Reckless Records or Myopic Books are not "real" businesses?

Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 AM

179 posts, read 272,068 times
*bump*

This applies to the city or the suburbs- in September 2016, where do you think I would have the most success/get the highest prices for these three groups of things:

1 tennis books (biographies, historical books, instructional manuals, almost all kinds of tennis books)
2 CDs with jewel cases
3 CDs without jewel cases (but with all artwork/liner notes)

?

I have seen decent reviews for a CD place in Skokie but wonder about the tennis books, as Half Price in the suburbs never gives anything more than a pittance and various City-Data posts have mentioned okay things about booksellers in the city buying books at okay prices.

Thanks in advance for any current info/advice.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM

150 posts, read 295,123 times
Video Games, DVD or Blu-ray - The Exchange
Good books - Myopic
Good LP's - Reckless Records
Everything else/anything not taken - Half Price Books

Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
Most books have no financial value. Check a few titles on Amazon and used copies can probably be had for one cent. You may be better off donating them....

Old 09-02-2016, 02:31 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
I had something like 40 books, some in good shape, some not and took them to Half Price Books. Was hoping to get maybe 20 bucks.

They offered me a quarter.

For the entire stack.

I vowed never to set foot in there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago