Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,149,343 times

Advertisements

So I got caught by a traffic camera turning right on a red light because I never saw the "no turn on red" sign being under a bridge in the city. Went back and I saw it so I know I can't contest it. Anyway, it's $100 due in 2 weeks and I can't afford that until a month from now when I get my commission check.

What do I do? I've never gotten one of these tickets before for a moving violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times
First things, a red-light camera ticket is not legally considered a moving violation even though it obviously is. There are legal reasons for this -- namely it allows the city to meet a lower burden of proof -- but the bottom line is that it won't show up on your driving abstract like it would if you were pulled over and issued a ticket by a cop, so it won't show up on your insurance.

There is a certain grace period after a final determination to pay the ticket. If you don't pay by then, it doubles. If you still don't pay, they turn you over to collections. That's pretty much their only recourse for now. It's only when you have at least two outstanding tickets for more than one year that they can boot you.

Harwood Heights has been hounding me for about 3 years now for an unpaid red light camera ticket. They can hound me until Hell freezes over for all I care; I stay out of their schitty little hamlet anyway.

1,988 posts, read 2,211,078 times
You will most likely have to pay double if you don't pay it on time. Can you pay it with a credit card online?

1,210 posts, read 3,051,733 times
Request a date to appear before a judge. I doubt it will be within 2 weeks. When you show you can either pay, or maybe ask for an extension?

I think.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Request a date to appear before a judge. I doubt it will be within 2 weeks. When you show you can either pay, or maybe ask for an extension?

I think.
He can only do this if the ticket isn't already in final determination, which I suspect it is if the payment due date is coming up before his next pay period.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

40 posts, read 128,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post

I think.

This is my suggestion. As stated this only works if the ticket is not past due yet.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM

I can contest it over the phone I think. Any chance on winning it if I just explain that I had just moved, didn't see the sign the first time, and now I know it's there and I won't make the mistake again? It was during the night under the Kennedy Highway bridge....I had to look hard to find it even after going back to it.

What could happen to me if I just never pay it besides it doubling? I've never had a ticket like this and I don't ever run red lights so I don't plan on getting another...

Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM

P.S. Spoke to a former CPD Sergent at my office...

It DOES go on your driving record, they boot you after 3 tickets, and if you get pulled over the cop can see you have an oustanding ticket for it.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
P.S. Spoke to a former CPD Sergent at my office...

It DOES go on your driving record
No it doesn't.

Quote:
they boot you after 3 tickets
Actually it's 2, and only if both are outstanding for over a year.

Quote:
and if you get pulled over the cop can see you have an oustanding ticket for it.
And there's nothing he can do about it.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,355,620 times
I admit I'm uninformed, but I think Drover is right. For it to affect your driving record, they would need to know that you were the driver, but the only thing that the red light violation photos can show is that the car registered in your name ran the red light (or turned right on red illegally, or whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago