Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Since Im young and being from the South Side , I will tell you what's going on. What's different now is everything is about sets ( fraction). Media is making it sound as gangs these days are just young people, but it isn't.Its all ages no different then back in the day. After the 1990s with all the busts, it became a breakdown of the gangs.Young generation are more disorganized. Older gang members ( 30 and up )contributing as much to the violence ,murdering and robbing. Its just not as reckless as the young ones.
Can you explain further, your insight is unique to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I couldn't get these new maps to load very well on my iPad, but they looked identical to the old ones on the north side - I think the article/jwaiter's point is more on target for some of the insanely huge south and west side gangs. Although my take is that it really isn't anything new to see leadership of gang A or B taken down, it doesn't really change the overall dynamic that much. Let's just say the "career" (at least in free society) of your average high-ranking gangster is shorter than your average linebacker. These new little gangs only claiming a block here or there just look like "sets" from the old days, with the larger gang providing the networks/allegiances/clout necessary to not get pushed out by the big guys. But almost none of these gangs are stupid enough to parade around in their colors anymore, they have gotten a lot more subtle and evolved by necessity.

But yes, the GDs have had a presence in that chunk of LV since the waning days of Medusa's in the early 90s.

It isn't really that surprising, in that it doesn't mean they have actual gangbangers on corners in the area, it just means they have claimed the turf for drug sale purposes. ie, you try and start moving major amounts of illegal drugs near Wrigelyville (outside your little tight friend circle), don't be surprised if at some point the piper comes calling to either demand tribute in either money or an extended hospital stay.

Think about it - many of young twentysomethings want to party when they arrive in Chicago, but thanks to prohibition, they have to go to the black market.

It doesn't take more than a few apartments' worth of safe houses for a major gang to do their thing. Unlike their more IMO idiotic open-air markets on the south/west sides, these guys are actually going to be welcomed (within limits/reason) when they can bring the goodies into the clubs.nightlife circuit.

And if things get problematic, some meathead decides he doesn't like his girl fawning over the gangsters, one phone call and there are GD soldiers more than willing to take a trip to the softer north side to break a few heads.

One friend of mine got to know a local gang chieftain just out of home proximity, to outside eyes he's a fairly normal dude. Not sure how it came up, but he told my buddy "Look, I don't need to kill/hurt people. I have people to do that."
Yep. Kinda the way it works. I knew some gangsters and they weren't people and they weren't folks. But nobody messed with them either.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 10,570 times
Its still plently of old people but right now theirs a huge shift happening. Gang culture use to be standing on corners and having large wide terrority, and many wars would be people coming from different hoods. Now with all the social change ( projects being destoryed, hoods like logan square becoming good, ) the gangs have spread and lost lots of usually tight commincation. Gangs have taken over areas like portage park and are going north, but more dispersed, filled by people seeking cheap cost of living. The point is is that stuff is changing, its safer now than the 90s that's forsure. Shoot going through most hoods now people aren't out, even a few years ago gangs would fear outsiders by dominating their local business district, you can walk in almost area and be safe untilled going into sidestreets. More dudes are about setting up little groups and selling drugs, gangbanging is still popular on the SS though . Also many areas that were once "off limits " are now" Meh", while once thought super safe Hood has become sketchy. The scene has changed so much tho,

Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 10,570 times
On my phone so sorry about the poor writing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago