Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This video is sad and yet hilarious at the same time. What Walter should have done is had these guys talk to actual millionaires to find out how they got their mansions. They would have found quickly that the average person living in mansion didn't get their house from drug money are robbing their neighbors who are equally poor.
Even back in the late nineties the rappers always talked about cleaning up their drug money to legit money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
So, in conclusion of course someone from LA will survive in Chicago, but they're not used to a city, where every available resource has been pumped into the making a downtown/core area the greatest in the world for the last 50-60 years, leaving 2/3 of the rest of the city to rot and fester into steaming pile of death and decay.

You're making it very obvious that you are a relatively new transplant to the area. You're discounting the fact that the majority of the North Side (Save for near west) and sizable portions of the SW side along with Hyde Park, Hegewish, Bridgeport, and Canaryville, (While not the Gold Coast) are relatively stable, working class residential areas.

If you think the whole city is supposed to be one big streeterville, you're smoking crack.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
If you value your life, the north or northwest is where you want to be. Otherwise opt for the suburbs.
I'm glad you didn't give me advise when I was relocating.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
You're making it very obvious that you are a relatively new transplant to the area. You're discounting the fact that the majority of the North Side (Save for near west) and sizable portions of the SW side along with Hyde Park, Hegewish, Bridgeport, and Canaryville, (While not the Gold Coast) are relatively stable, working class residential areas.

If you think the whole city is supposed to be one big streeterville, you're smoking crack.
No I'm NOT a relatively new transplant to the area. If you look at my other post, I was replying to Nafsters assumption that I am an ignorant suburbanite. Now here you are suggesting I am a "relatively new transplant to Chicago."

I grew up in the suburbs, have spent time ALL over the city either through past work or for fun, visiting people that lived in various neighborhoods.

I now live in LA.

I never said the whole city is supposed to be one big streeterville. And yes, I know about all those aforementioned areas. What I am saying, is that Chicago has perhaps one of the biggest divides between world class urban core and bombed out rustbelt violent ghetto. This is NOT to suggest other cities don't have nice and bad areas.

In many other American cities, the downtown/core area is less impressive for a city of that size, young adults and night life are spread out a bit more evenly, and crime problems are a bit more dispersed throughout the city or metro. This is NOT necessarily better, it is just different, but I tend to prefer that type of urban/metro area layout.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I never said the whole city is supposed to be one big streeterville. And yes, I know about all those aforementioned areas. What I am saying, is that Chicago has perhaps one of the biggest divides between world class urban core and bombed out rustbelt violent ghetto. This is NOT to suggest other cities don't have nice and bad areas.
Yeah, Cleveland, Pittsburg, and Detroit have it made, as they have the whole bombed out rustbelt low population thing without the world class city thing going for them. At least they're consistent.

Quote:
In many other American cities, the downtown/core area is less impressive for a city of that size, young adults and night life are spread out a bit more evenly, and crime problems are a bit more dispersed throughout the city or metro. This is NOT necessarily better, it is just different, but I tend to prefer that type of urban/metro area layout.
That's the west coast you're thinking of. Where most of the development took place after the auto became ubiquitous and the urban areas spread out and density went down.

I like the tight core of Chicago and the dense walkable neighborhoods of Chicago.
Who the hell wants a huge suburb like LA where you can't get anywhere if you don't have a car, and you get to sit in insane amounts of excruciatingly slow traffic.

Give me Chicago, give me NY. You can keep your car, it's like having a rock chained to your leg.

And, there are issues with other parts of the city, in fact, my neighborhood had plenty. (It's still the city; Stabbings, armed robberies, beatings, break-ins) But, we also had CAPS and the neighbors all keep an eye out for each other and call the cops if something looks suspicious. Instead of an epidemic, these things would happen sporadically, then go away.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Cleveland, Pittsburg, and Detroit have it made, as they have the whole bombed out rustbelt low population thing without the world class city thing going for them. At least they're consistent.

That's the west coast you're thinking of. Where most of the development took place after the auto became ubiquitous and the urban areas spread out and density went down.

I like the tight core of Chicago and the dense walkable neighborhoods of Chicago.
Who the hell wants a huge suburb like LA where you can't get anywhere if you don't have a car, and you get to sit in insane amounts of excruciatingly slow traffic.

Give me Chicago, give me NY. You can keep your car, it's like having a rock chained to your leg.

And, there are issues with other parts of the city, in fact, my neighborhood had plenty. (It's still the city; Stabbings, armed robberies, beatings, break-ins) But, we also had CAPS and the neighbors all keep an eye out for each other and call the cops if something looks suspicious. Instead of an epidemic, these things would happen sporadically, then go away.

I give up on telling people that LA is one giant suburb. LAs neighborhoods are just as dense as any other city. A major difference, is that the apartment buildings are much newer, and the skyscrapers are more spread out in clusters all over the city and county. But whatever, believe what you want to believe. But your impressions of LA are outdated, as thinking that Chicago is looks like the Blues Brothers.

I take the LA metro (rail) all the time. The Expo line to downtown, the There are MANY people who live without a car.

I like the tight core of Chicago too and dense walkable neighborhoods. But LA has just as many, they simply have non-walkable areas in between. Have you ever spent time in Santa Monica, Venice, Pasadena, Koreatown, Mid-wilshire, the commercial part of Beverly hills, downtown obviously, Los Feliz and Silverlake. LA is only slightly less dense than Chicago,

(Don't go looking up statistics, I know them already. Chicago 11,000 ppsqmi, LA 6000-7000 ppsqmi. LAs pop density is brought down by uninhabited mountains (hiking and scenic views within city limits) and most of the San Fernando Valley which is a huge annexed part). But the flat BASIN is about 10,000 pp/sq mi.

Density in the Chicago METRO DID go down, as people moved to the suburbs. Density in California METRO areas and CITIES went UP over time, as they were surrounded by mountains and had no more room to build so they had to build modern apartment buildings.

I simply amazed by metro areas, that have stuff to do, in nearly all parts of the metro area. Chicago may have an awesome core, but how does that make the outlying areas any special just because they are in Chicago. When you have attractions and amenities, nightlife, museums, ethnic diversity spread out evenly across many different areas across the city that exposes all residents to diversity, etc.

The gives residents exposure to a lot of different qualities. Chicagos core is world class, but how in the world does Chicagos core make the residents of Hegewisch any more lucky or any more cosmopolitan than residents of South Bend, IN. Or even Archer Heights?? Its an old marginal Polish neighborhood that has seen an influx of different immigrants. Not unlike Hamtramck, MI. In fact most of Chicago is like 50 Hamtramck, MIs all one after another.

I have not found the traffic in LA to be any worse than what I have experienced in Chicago.

And as far as Detroit, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh go, they do have intact neighborhoods that are very similar to Chicagos counterparts.

You keep people who say: "Are you a Cubs fan or a Sox fan? You're not either? Well what are you interested in? Black people CHOOSE to segregate themselves. I don't have to sound progressive, I live in 773, I'm a bad*** and don't have to prove anything to anyone."

Chicago OFFERS an urban living lifestyle superior to anything that any other city has to offer, but that has NOTHING to do with the world of the average residents of the metro area or even the city.

For the record, this does not apply to anyone else, but rparz. He chose to stereotype and put down some cities, so therefore I am replying in the same kind. This is in no way is about Chicago, rather simply how the poster is pulling the same stereotypes out of a hat.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

OK, look, I'm not really disagreeing with you.

If the city of Chicago, and the surrounding metro area were divided the way NYC and the surrounding tri-state area is, there wouldn't be this problem.

If Chicago has rivers and harbors separating five distinct burroughs, with their own thing going on, and their own density and housing stock types different from the other four, with the suburbs being on a distinct island or a whole other state (Long Island and New Jersey) we wouldn't have this issue.

There would be separate geographic regions and places that everyone would understand to be different. Just like people from Staten Island can't be from Manhattan, people from Norwood Park or Beverly or wherever couldn't be from the same city that includes River North.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:

I simply amazed by metro areas, that have stuff to do, in nearly all parts of the metro area. Chicago may have an awesome core, but how does that make the outlying areas any special just because they are in Chicago. When you have attractions and amenities, nightlife, museums, ethnic diversity spread out evenly across many different areas across the city that exposes all residents to diversity, etc.

The gives residents exposure to a lot of different qualities. Chicagos core is world class, but how in the world does Chicagos core make the residents of Hegewisch any more lucky or any more cosmopolitan than residents of South Bend, IN. Or even Archer Heights?? Its an old marginal Polish neighborhood that has seen an influx of different immigrants. Not unlike Hamtramck, MI. In fact most of Chicago is like 50 Hamtramck,

You keep people who say: "Are you a Cubs fan or a Sox fan? You're not either? Well what are you interested in? Black people CHOOSE to segregate themselves. I don't have to sound progressive, I live in 773, I'm a bad*** and don't have to prove anything to anyone."

Chicago OFFERS an urban living lifestyle superior to anything that any other city has to offer, but that has NOTHING to do with the world of the average residents of the metro area .
Wow. You really laid it out for us. I would say that I enjoy the sophisticated lifestyle of Chicago. Like I said before LA has just as much if not more to offer. I don't believe Chicagoans are any more enlightened or tolerant because of its world class status than Jackson Ms.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:

Because the Daleys, etc. directly competed with African Americans for jobs back in the old days, no other city government not only had the power to get things done for the city, but unfortunately no other city government had quite the spiteful contempt for Black people as the Daleys. (and what we are seeing on the south and west sides are like the equivalent of the European colonial powers leaving the African countries a total mess. Modern British and French people are obviously not to blame for a civil war or dictators in those former colonies, but the fact remains the same. Chicago pays a price for the way Blacks were "managed" by Daley the first).

If you don't believe me, read Boss by Mike Royko.
I've read Boss three times, and that analysis above is far too oversimplified IMO.

If anything, Chicago paid the price for the mismanagement of the entire reconstruction of the South & Jim Crow, and companies recruiting black southerners by the tens of thousands to come compete with union labor up North. The Federal Government is the entity that forced the high rise public housing, Daley certainly is to blame for how it was rolled out in Chicago, but actually didn't want it at all.

Add American Pharaoh, Chicago: City of the Century, The Outfit, Mr. Capone, at least one book specifically on Rostenkowski's machine, Harold Washington and early black submachine boss Bill Dawson to your list. Then there's county government....then you've got to get up to speed on HDO and how the Latinos have been assimilated.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
If anything, Chicago paid the price for the mismanagement of the entire reconstruction of the South & Jim Crow, and companies recruiting black southerners by the tens of thousands to come compete with union labor up North.
Interesting point. I've always been fond of the Radical Republicans of that time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago