Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM

156 posts, read 313,197 times

Advertisements

I just moved back after living in Asia for a few years to the suburbs and looking for a job in Chicago.

I was in the international export/import trading business; basically wholesale distribution sales.
Since I got back I found the only sales positions that call me for interviews back are 3PL and logistics companies(Jb Hunt, Kuehne Nagel, etc.).

I'll admit I prefer export/importing freight containers but I figure when in Rome...

Any advice on networking in this industry because I know 0 people in Chicago other than family and not many companies are listed on Glassdoor.

EDIT:

Many are near Midway airport(archer) or O'hare(elk grove).....what's the neighborhood like to live in those areas? Dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
In terms of safety, almost all of the areas near O'Hare are safe. Midway depends on which direction. I think this is one of the better cities for logistics in general, but not necessarily super hot for import / export. I've noticed that the import / export opportunities are generally better in the major coastal cities (ie. NYC, LA, SF, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
I just moved back after living in Asia for a few years to the suburbs and looking for a job in Chicago.

I was in the international export/import trading business; basically wholesale distribution sales.
Since I got back I found the only sales positions that call me for interviews back are 3PL and logistics companies(Jb Hunt, Kuehne Nagel, etc.).

I'll admit I prefer export/importing freight containers but I figure when in Rome...

Any advice on networking in this industry because I know 0 people in Chicago other than family and not many companies are listed on Glassdoor.

EDIT:

Many are near Midway airport(archer) or O'hare(elk grove).....what's the neighborhood like to live in those areas? Dangerous?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
I agree that a lot of import and export opportunities exist on the coasts, but outside of there, Chicago is actually a hot-bed of activity, due to our central location in the country and proximity to rail-lines and other modes of transportation.

I only work loosely with logistics and transportation, but I can say that I haven't seen as many of those types of positions open as others.

I agree that pretty much anywhere near O Hare is good, and I'd even say close to Midway, so long as you don't travel 15 or so blocks east.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I agree that a lot of import and export opportunities exist on the coasts, but outside of there, Chicago is actually a hot-bed of activity, due to our central location in the country and proximity to rail-lines and other modes of transportation.

I only work loosely with logistics and transportation, but I can say that I haven't seen as many of those types of positions open as others.

I agree that pretty much anywhere near O Hare is good, and I'd even say close to Midway, so long as you don't travel 15 or so blocks east.

Yeah, positions are very rare....and the few that exists ask me to speak chinese(not korean ).

I've been talking to a few Chinese factories lately so I might just get a bank loan and start importing again. I figure if nobody is buying or selling anything wholesale from China there must be a big gap in this region.

Every Chicago company I've talked to here has 0 idea what trade portals and methods chinese companies use for sourcing or getting customers.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Yeah, positions are very rare....and the few that exists ask me to speak chinese(not korean ).

I've been talking to a few Chinese factories lately so I might just get a bank loan and start importing again. I figure if nobody is buying or selling anything wholesale from China there must be a big gap in this region.

Every Chicago company I've talked to here has 0 idea what trade portals and methods chinese companies use for sourcing or getting customers.
That sounds very, very odd. Our company works directly with a handful of Chinese suppliers and and exporting companies.

I would think there is a bigger base; we have a fairly sizable and growing Chinese population. You'd think they'd have a way to move wares and such from China to here.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
That sounds very, very odd. Our company works directly with a handful of Chinese suppliers and and exporting companies.

I would think there is a bigger base; we have a fairly sizable and growing Chinese population. You'd think they'd have a way to move wares and such from China to here.
I'm guessing some have branches in L.A., Asia, or some middleman handles it, then it just gets shipped off to Chicago. Job searches have proven fairly fruitless in this region.

Jobs that deal with Asia are very rare here....so rare I've had to switch to the transportation industry despite sourcing from China, Korea, and Japan regularly. I'll sometimes offer companies the opportunity to sell their seasonal overstock directly to Asia and all I get is blank stares. Wholesale software exports are popular here but I have no experience with software(just metals, minerals, textiles, recycled goods, heavy machinery).

Alot of Chicago companies are heavily aimed at the midwest only. I wish I could find some chicago companies interested in exporting to Asia. I'm currently dealing with some mineral companies in hopes they're more receptive to Lead exporting.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Chicago is huge for intermodal shipping, but I suspect it's not huge for international arrivals and thus probably not as big as LA or NYC for sales jobs such as you describe. I'm sure some exist, but the kind of shipping and transportation ihere isn't necessarily as tied to the sales of what's in the containers as it is in the salt water ports.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chicago is huge for intermodal shipping, but I suspect it's not huge for international arrivals and thus probably not as big as LA or NYC for sales jobs such as you describe. I'm sure some exist, but the kind of shipping and transportation ihere isn't necessarily as tied to the sales of what's in the containers as it is in the salt water ports.
Right on!

Really sucks for me!!! I like transportation though and would love to work in that industry anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago