Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM

477 posts, read 660,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have actually been impressed with how accommodating and pleasant the Metra conductors are on the Rock Island line, not just to me but to many other passengers.
Agreed, and I'll also apply that to the UP North Line. I've been pretty blown away by the quality of service for public or semi-public workers. Lost my monthly pass once and they even called the number I put on the back to tell me they recover it and it was easy to retrieve down at Olgilvie station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,225,831 times
So, I have this one conductor on my 8:40 train, he is super anal about putting your feet up, taking shoes off, etc. He announces every night that it isn't allowed and he enforces it almost every night to someone, "Sir, you can't put your feet there." Not sure what his deal is, but it's his thing. Last night he told a guy to put his feet down and the guy said, "And what are you going to do about it, throw me off the train?" He didn't put his feet down. The conductor came back and they had another exchange and the conductor left and got security. The guy put his feet down for security. After the security guy left the guy put his feet back up and the conductor ended up doing nothing. It was kind of humourous, the whole exchange. It made the conductor look ridiculous for not enforcing his big rule when someone pushes back, and the other guy looked like an ass for keeping his feet up for no real reason.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM

185 posts, read 592,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
So, I have this one conductor on my 8:40 train, he is super anal about putting your feet up, taking shoes off, etc.
There's a rule against taking your shoes off?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
Most of the people with their feet up on the seats still have their shoes on and dirty up the seat for the next rider. That is why the conductors are constantly reminding people. Just like they remind the drunks who use the train for their pub crawls to keep the noise down.

Seems to me that conductors would have nothing to do but collect fares if CERTAIN METRA riders would have some common courtesy toward other riders.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
It's a commuter train, not a Club Med. Nobody wants to smell your rotten zombie feet.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,485,129 times
I have taken my shoes off, and put them on the seat in front of me, but i always had my sweater underneath my feet, but now i guess i should not even do that in case of foot odor. but I do hate the ones who sit on top and let their wet boots drip on the people in the aisle!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM

47 posts, read 86,239 times
I like the Metra conductors. No nonsense, terse, professional. They understand English well. Communication is easy, efficient and no BS. They do their jobs and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch28 View Post
I like the Metra conductors. No nonsense, terse, professional. They understand English well. Communication is easy, efficient and no BS. They do their jobs and that's the way it's supposed to be.
Too many people forget that there are nuts at TSA that would KILL commuter trains with airport style screenings and other nonsense. There are already too many jack-booted full-of-themselves paramilitary "railroad police" with big guts under their silly kevlar. Give me a "no BS" conductor over that without question!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of the people with their feet up on the seats still have their shoes on and dirty up the seat for the next rider. That is why the conductors are constantly reminding people. Just like they remind the drunks who use the train for their pub crawls to keep the noise down.

Seems to me that conductors would have nothing to do but collect fares if CERTAIN METRA riders would have some common courtesy toward other riders.
I can almost recite his daily notice about feet, and he always says that you can't put feet on "modesty panels". Every night I mean to ask him what a modesty panel is, but by the time I am exiting the train I forget to ask. I get the concept of what it could be at a table to something, but not sure what it is on the train...

Last edited by almost3am; 10-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
Default Ummmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
...what a modesty panel is...
Let's just say that since folks on the lower level would have otherwise "unobstructed views" of the, ah, general lap area of the skirt wearing riders on the upper level the conductor is accurately describing the function of the solid metal panels that some folks find as irresistible foot rests...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago