Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:16 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,148 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a high rise (20th floor) as well, but I'll probably be moving to a vintage low-rise after my lease runs out next year. Most of the pros and cons I would list have been mentioned here already. I really like my view, and I like that things are generally in nicer condition than in vintage low rise apartments. My building doesn't have a doorman, and I really don't think I'd like a building with one. I'm aware of the advantages, but to me, a doorman is just someone who's in my way when I'm trying to go home.

But since I want to move to a low rise, I'll offer some perspective on why. One major factor is that I hate relying on the elevator so much. I don't really mind walking up stairs, and I occasionally take the stairs down if only one of the two elevators is working. I've also taken the stairs up a few times, which is pretty exhausting. But when I add up all the time I spend waiting for the elevator to come and riding it up and down 20 floors, it just seems like such a waste.

However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is cell phone reception. In a lot of the high rises I've been in, cell service just sucks. I have Verizon, which is usually considered one of the best for reception. Due to the steel construction and the other tall buildings around, the signal is very spotty within my apartment. At street level, it's totally fine. But there are only a few places in my apartment where I can reliably talk without dropping a call (not necessarily near a window). Low rise buildings usually give me near-perfect reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM

82 posts, read 196,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think of my highrise as a "vertical village".
That's a nice way to think of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What are your negative ideas about doormen? I don't particularly like the idea of highrise living, but a doorman would be nice!
I guess privacy was my biggest concern, but that's probably a little overstereotyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCP View Post
I agree with all of the above. I should add that my experience with doormen has been almost entirely positive (or at worst neutral).

On the parking issue, I should add that marothisu's comments apply even beyond the close-to-the-Loop areas of the city. Whenever you have a cluster of high-rises, street parking becomes more difficult (though not necessarily impossible) to find, and garage/parking lot rates will run from $175 on up. This might not be as much of an issue in an isolated high-rise building surrounded by low-rise residential streets, but most high-rises come in clusters.

I will add one more consideration: noise. At a certain height, the street noise (plus the noise of any nearby El line, etc.) will diminish. On the flip side, high-rise complexes are more likely to be close to major roads and/or transit lines, so they will not be as quiet as the most low-key residential side streets.
I was wondering about the noise factor....actually that's the other thing about having so many neighbors...with the wrong crowd, I imagine it could be non stop racket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
My biggest issue with mega-highrise living is generally the area's that house them. I don't particularly love the very near north side from a neighborhood standpoint.
What don't you like? And which areas do you prefer? Just wondering

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
The ecosystem is a little different -
- If you're high enough up, and the elevator is quick, your ears can 'pop'
- all tall buildings are designed to 'sway' or move a little in the wind .. the higher up, the more you will notice it ..hanging lighting and toilet water are good barometers .
- see above for 'creaking' or noises you don't hear down below
- Power failures can REALLY suck ... backup generators are usually for 1 or 2 elevators and hallway emergency lighting only . Fortunately, they're rare in areas with high rises , because of buried utilities, etc ..but they can happen
- The building usually controls the heating and cooling - you control letting it into your unit .. older building with 'one pipe' technology can broil their residents in the Spring - 'Glass Box' can accelerate the effect ..if you're looking , ask for 3 pipe capability ( Air and Heat Year round )

I haven't lived below the 15th floor in 25 years , so I've grown accustomed to cliff dwelling ...

WOW This is a great list ! Thanks so much for sharing, especially the tip about the 3 pipe capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I currently live in a high rise (20th floor) as well, but I'll probably be moving to a vintage low-rise after my lease runs out next year. Most of the pros and cons I would list have been mentioned here already. I really like my view, and I like that things are generally in nicer condition than in vintage low rise apartments. My building doesn't have a doorman, and I really don't think I'd like a building with one. I'm aware of the advantages, but to me, a doorman is just someone who's in my way when I'm trying to go home.

But since I want to move to a low rise, I'll offer some perspective on why. One major factor is that I hate relying on the elevator so much. I don't really mind walking up stairs, and I occasionally take the stairs down if only one of the two elevators is working. I've also taken the stairs up a few times, which is pretty exhausting. But when I add up all the time I spend waiting for the elevator to come and riding it up and down 20 floors, it just seems like such a waste.

However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is cell phone reception. In a lot of the high rises I've been in, cell service just sucks. I have Verizon, which is usually considered one of the best for reception. Due to the steel construction and the other tall buildings around, the signal is very spotty within my apartment. At street level, it's totally fine. But there are only a few places in my apartment where I can reliably talk without dropping a call (not necessarily near a window). Low rise buildings usually give me near-perfect reception.
I didn't think about cell phone reception. I also have Verizon.
I appreciate your perspective on why you're "going low".

One thing i have definitely noticed is the nice appearance of the high rise apartments on craigslist. Seems standard there, while where I am now, every apartment is old and falling apart. Newish or modern is rare.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,576,222 times
I live on a lower floor right above the bus stop and it is hell! very noisy. I'd never live on a busy street unless I was maybe 20 floors up,, but then you can still hear certain noises, people protesting, kids drumming on the plastic garbage bags, etc.

Nice if you have a view of the lake but if you face another high rise, it can be claustrophobic.

True, you dont hear all the noise if your windows are closed, but sometimes you want fresh air on a nice 73 degree summer night. Then you hear the cars with music pumping very loud from cars going by, fire engine sirens and motorcylces revving up their motor and people screaming/talking loud when they go by as they go out and party.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiata View Post
I guess privacy was my biggest concern, but that's probably a little overstereotyped.
I have to admit, when I first moved into my highrise, I felt the same way. I had never lived in a doorman building before, and to suddenly have someone knowing all your comings and goings, and what guests you have and who they are and when they arrive and leave, and to have to let the doorman know when you have an out-of-town guest staying over and how long, so they know to let them in... all that made me a bit squeamish as I'm a very reserved, private person. I really didn't like it at first. But it's something you do get used to over time.

Quote:
I was wondering about the noise factor....actually that's the other thing about having so many neighbors...with the wrong crowd, I imagine it could be non stop racket!
I live in a huge building with 1,200 people under one roof, and it's remarkably quiet most of the time when I'm in my unit. In fact, I usually couldn't tell you if anyone else is even there at all. I love being right in the middle of things and yet experiencing such a splendid isolation at the same time... it's like the best of all possible worlds.

I've experienced much more neighbor noise living in smaller vintage buildings.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I live on a lower floor right above the bus stop and it is hell! very noisy. I'd never live on a busy street unless I was maybe 20 floors up,, but then you can still hear certain noises, people protesting, kids drumming on the plastic garbage bags, etc.

Nice if you have a view of the lake but if you face another high rise, it can be claustrophobic.

True, you dont hear all the noise if your windows are closed, but sometimes you want fresh air on a nice 73 degree summer night. Then you hear the cars with music pumping very loud from cars going by, fire engine sirens and motorcylces revving up their motor and people screaming/talking loud when they go by as they go out and party.

Yikes! I am not a fan of busy streets.....living "higher up" does seem to be a way to mitigate that, which is good.

Ths thread is giving me a lot to ask when I explore potential apartments. Some ads include floor # , etc but it is not a universal thing.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
To me, a 73-degree night is A/C weather. I'm uncomfortable at anything above 69. I'd rather keep the windows closed and run the A/C than deal with street noise.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,901,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I'm aware of the advantages, but to me, a doorman is just someone who's in my way when I'm trying to go home.
A doorman who does that isn't doing their job in the first place. If I'm across the street carrying groceries or something, all my doormen pretty much have the door open for me before I even cross the street. It's the exact opposite of getting in the way.

Quote:
However, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is cell phone reception. In a lot of the high rises I've been in, cell service just sucks.
Yeah, but somehow phones get "used to it" it seems. When I first moved in, my reception sucked for the first 2-3 days. Then all of a sudden it was fine. Same as pretty much any of my friends/girlfriends who come up to my apartment a decent number of times. It's kind of weird but true. Garden apartments are way, way worse for reception than a high rise.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM

I can attest for the noise thing. I mean, it depends on the building and the construction and everything, but it's really quiet up here unless I have my windows open (f'ing sirens and cab drivers). At night though after say 10pm even with my windows open it's fine. My building is a fortress though. During the whole Blizzard a few years ago, I couldn't hear a damn thing from outside. If I didn't have the TV on or I didn't go on the internet, I wouldn't have known it was even a blizzard.

The only thing that really bothers me now are sirens, namely fire trucks. I rarely hear any actual people noise. The only noise I hear are sirens (when they go off), cabs honking, and the occasional guy who's completely souped up his car and has like 400+ hp on it (happens maybe once a month). I've heard maybe a small handful of times drunk yelling, but then again I don't live near any big bars or anything.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-10-2012 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:

I think you have a different type of privacy to worry about more than if a doorman knows when Bobby Sue has arrived and is going up to your unit. 99% of doormen could care less who's visiting your place and when. The only thing they worry about is if they let someone in who is banned from the building, or if they let a dog in when dogs are banned from your building or something, or just doing their jobs in general.

Now, my opinion is that if someone is looking in on your apartment, it's their problem and they're the weirdo for doing so. I don't even care anymore to be honest and assume that nobody does it anyway. I don't have any places right next to me, but I have places where you could definitely semi make out what MIGHT be going on in someone's place. If I happen to get it on with my girlfriend spur of the moment and someone sees it because they're looking in through my windows, they are the perverts for looking in on my apartment and watching.. Would be different if I had a building right next to me I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago