Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,532,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Living Atlanta, many blacks moved here for cheaper housing costs, which is understandable. However,those blacks who moved here without degrees or the ability to get jobs that pay $50k or more find that life is a struggle here and the QOL isn't as great as they thought it would be.
If you are black and don't make any money at all in this city it's like adding insult to injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
I think that's the case in many southern cities from my experience. I left Charlotte because I couldn't make any money and your competing for jobs paying 10 an hour with people with masters degrees.

In my little 4 years experience in Chicago, I've met people with no degree owning their own businesses, driving buses and many other occupations making it here. They do have a work ethic that will run circles around most southerners but i see all kinds of people making it here if nothing else off of pure hussle. I guess that's what creates the energy the keeps me and many others here and building a successful life even with the racism.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 10-17-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
The wittiest reply I've seen in a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Ssssssh!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
Has segregation, or any of the Black issues that existed 50-years ago improved enough to make a real difference in quality of life today?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,190,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think that's the case in many southern cities from my experience. I left Charlotte because I couldn't make any money and your competing for jobs paying 10 an hour with people with masters degrees.

In my little 4 years experience in Chicago, I've met people with no degree owning their own businesses, driving buses and many other occupations making it here. They do have a work ethic that will run circles around most southerners but i see all kinds of people making it here if nothing else off of pure hussle. I guess that's what creates the energy the keeps me and many others here and building a successful life even with the racism.
I think that is the main reason I want to move back. Even with few resources I alwaus found a way to enjoy the city and the racism I encountered didn't stop that. It is not to say that all whites or non-blacks in Chicago are racist. And the last time I visited, people were friendly as I made conversations with random strangers while shopping on State St.

While Chicago has racism issues, the city offers so many opportunities in terms education and job training that many lower-class or working-class blacks don't take advatage of. I find that they focus too much on the negativity and isolate themselves instead taking advantage of what is there.

I definitely feel off my hustle living in the south. The slow pace is actually draining and sometimes makes me feel less sharp and unmotivated. I miss that vibracy of Chicago.

I think the south is great for families who want a suburban lifestyle or retirees, but if you are single person who wants a thriving career, Chicago is best, as its not as expensive as other top-tier, alpha U.S. cities.

The running thought is that some people move south because they just couldn't cut it in LA, NYC or Chicago. I get wanting a cheaper housing cost but that actually comes at a price, which means getting nickled and dimed in unsuspecting areas and having fewer resources and cultural amenties and poor transit.

I also most definitely see a poor work ethnic here in the south.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-18-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,138,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you are black and don't make any money at all in this city it's like adding insult to injury.
Are you saying it's somehow worse to black and without money than it is to be "not black" and without money? I doubt that.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,040,566 times
Quote:
I think that is the main reason I want to move back. Even with few resources I alwaus found a way to enjoy the city and the racism I encountered didn't stop that. It is not to say that all whites or non-blacks in Chicago are racist. And the last time I visited, people were friendly as I made conversations with random strangers while shopping on State St.

While Chicago has racism issues, the city offers so many opportunities in terms education and job training that many lower-class or working-class blacks don't take advatage of. I find that they focus too much on the negativity and isolate themselves instead taking advantage of what is there.

I definitely feel off my hustle living in the south. The slow pace is actually draining and sometimes makes me feel less sharp and unmotivated. I miss that vibracy of Chicago.

I think the south is great for families who want a suburban lifestyle or retirees, but if you are single person who wants a thriving career, Chicago is best, as its not as expensive as other top-tier, alpha U.S. cities.

The running thought is that some people move south because they just couldn't cut it in LA, NYC or Chicago. I get wanting a cheaper housing cost but that actually comes at a price, which means getting nickled and dimed in unsuspecting areas and having fewer resources and cultural amenties and poor transit.

Wow, I realize Atlanta is not NYC, LA, or Chicago, but come on, its not like its some sleepy southern town. I mean come on it had the olympics, its attracted a major entertainment industry, has become the center of hip-hop/R&B within the last 15 years, downtown through midtown along Peachtree, etc. up through Buckhead. Beautiful parks like Piedmont, etc.

I mean sure if you were living in Charlotte maybe, I can understand what you are saying, but I still find Atlanta to be a city to give credit to. I find it a little sexy with all the music that has come out of there.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Wow, I realize Atlanta is not NYC, LA, or Chicago, but come on, its not like its some sleepy southern town. I mean come on it had the olympics, its attracted a major entertainment industry, has become the center of hip-hop/R&B within the last 15 years, downtown through midtown along Peachtree, etc. up through Buckhead. Beautiful parks like Piedmont, etc.

I mean sure if you were living in Charlotte maybe, I can understand what you are saying, but I still find Atlanta to be a city to give credit to. I find it a little sexy with all the music that has come out of there.
I am not saying Atl is necessarily Podunk, but it just doesn't compare to Chicago at all. Not even in the same league.

This is my personal opinion of course but it all comes down to what you value in terms of QOL and what impresses you. Given that I don't listen to R and B ir hip-hop, the fact that so much of it comes out of Atlanta is of no concern to me. It's like expecting someone who doesn't like country music to be impressed by Nashville.

Outside of Piedomont Park, there isn't anything else impressive. Midtown and Buckhead go for only a few miles. Of the few nice areas that are here to hang out in, they are very small. Buckhead's nightlife was killed off years ago.

You can see all there is to do here in one or two weekends. Atlanta is a one-stop shop and if you aren't a tourist, this place becomes very underwhelming and unimpressive very quickly. There is nothing to see or do in downtown Atlanta. Atlanta's downtown couldn't even support having a Macy's, which closed like ten years ago and never re-opened.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:

I agree with everything you written. Too many blacks are talking about their hood is this and how they can beat someone up because of where they grew up is crazy to me. Its like they never leave their block. That's what keeps them down.

In my day to day life racism isn't a thought. (now that I'm not in Lakeview). You choose a good neighborhood, good friends and do good things life can be great in Chicago.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree with everything you written. Too many blacks are talking about their hood is this and how they can beat someone up because of where they grew up is crazy to me. Its like they never leave their block. That's what keeps them down.

In my day to day life racism isn't a thought. (now that I'm not in Lakeview). You choose a good neighborhood, good friends and do good things life can be great in Chicago.
Oh my gosh, that is soooo typical! "I'm da Wes' Sahd! I'll beat yo' @$%!" LOL!

Metro Atlanta only has two community colleges and three major universites (HBCUs not included) compared to dozens upon dozens in metro Chicago. It makes me wonder why more blacks there don't take advantage of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago