Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Well, it is estimated that approximately 30% of the population of Maricopa County is originally from the Chicago area. I've heard Phoenix referred to as "Chicago in the desert." So yeah, we are losing people to the sunbelt.

Did you notice that about 1/3rd of the crowd at the Cubs/DB playoff series were wearing red & blue? They didn't all travel there to watch the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 05:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Did you notice that about 1/3rd of the crowd at the Cubs/DB playoff series were wearing red & blue? They didn't all travel there to watch the game.
Thats not really a good comparison...the Cubs have a national following that few sports franchises have ever achieved nor ever will

Old 10-14-2007, 11:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I'd like to point out that even though the CITY of Chicago is losing population, the METROPOLITAIN AREA is gaining population. We're not gaining population as fast as the Sun Belt, but we're still growing.

I'm hoping that the recent wave of gentrification in certain neighborhoods will someday outpace the urban population loss, but that's still not happening. Most of the areas losing population are working class or poor areas of the city.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Well, it is estimated that approximately 30% of the population of Maricopa County is originally from the Chicago area. I've heard Phoenix referred to as "Chicago in the desert." So yeah, we are losing people to the sunbelt.

Whats funny is that everyone Ive known who's moved to AZ has moved back. I just got word that my wife's best friends' sister and her hubby are moving back here, theyve had enough of the heat and bad food. Not to mention theyve had 3 cars broken into and one stolen. I think what did it in for them was their bachelor and bacholerette parties: they held them in Chicago. You could tell they were both yearning to live in a big city again, both of them didnt want to go back home. Theyve only been married for 1.5 years and are throwing in the towel in AZ. I also had my FIL and MIL up from AZ this weekend, they also made a dozen comments about how much theyd like to live back here. If I can work on those 2 and my BIL, we'll have claimed everyone back from AZ. Palm trees and mild winters do NOT make a good life, I wonder how long it will take all the others to realize that.

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but I figured Id share.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Default You might like my new thread

Quote:
I'd say a lakefront attraction would be a good idea... museums... restaurants... theaters... shops.... maybe a big ferris wheel.... Now all we need is a name. Hey, I know: Navy Pier!
Drover,

I created a new thread with a similar (read: identical) theme to this one. The difference: I added a poll with some suggestions. If you think it's Navy Pier, you might want to check out my poll.

--Joel

Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Drover,

I created a new thread with a similar (read: identical) theme to this one. The difference: I added a poll with some suggestions. If you think it's Navy Pier, you might want to check out my poll.

--Joel
dude, you're getting very annoying now. we GET IT, you have a poll out! you don't need to drag up year old threads and spam others w/ links to your thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
OK, here are the 2 cents from one of the Southern transplants....

I am a native Chicagoan that lives in Charlotte, NC. The weather here is decent, we actually have all 4 seasons, but, the winters are mild in comparison to Chicago. Up until recently, it was an employment haven; jobs were plentiful and it was very possible to leave one good-paying job in the morning and have 2 offers before 5pm in the same afternoon. Real estate here (again up until recently) is fairly cheap in comparison to Chicago. We are in the piedmont of NC, so, we are 2 hours away from the mountains and about 5 hours away from the ocean. However....
Crime here is beginning to rival that of Chicago. You must drive everywhere, public transportation is usually not an option. There are no real museums or zoos or baseball franchises to escape to. The people are shallow, not real and the demographics is that this is a young city; both in growth and population. So, if you are an older person, you really do not fit in.

I miss Chicago terribly for many more reasons than I could type. The main thing holding me back from moving back would be the weather. Winters would probably be the driving force in keeping people away if, indeed, the population is shrinking.

As I visit, however, I am also reminded that Chicago is a blue-collar town. Technology is not the focus there. Coming from a banking town (Charlotte) which is primarily white collar, I am accostomed to an ATM at every corner...sometimes, two to three in a block...and being able to pop open my laptop and work wherever I am, at a restaurant, in a park, in about 98% of all homes. Those kinds of things are not as prevaliant in Chicago. The focus is different. The identity is different. But, Chicago is Chicago, not Charlotte, not LA, and definately not NYC. Chicago does not need a tourisim draw, we already have so much! If you really want to bring the tourists in, build an enormus dome over the city and keep the temp at a constant 78 degrees. That ought'a do it!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 AM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
dude, you're getting very annoying now. we GET IT, you have a poll out! you don't need to drag up year old threads and spam others w/ links to your thread
Eevee,

My mistake. I guess you frequent all the threads I've posted in, huh? We have a lot in common.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am accostomed to an ATM at every corner...sometimes, two to three in a block...and being able to pop open my laptop and work wherever I am, at a restaurant, in a park, in about 98% of all homes. Those kinds of things are not as prevaliant in Chicago. The focus is different.
I don't know what Chicago you were living in, but these things are very prevalent in Chicago. Just sitting in my home I'm picking up dozens of wireless networks right now, and ATMs are almost as prevalent as street signs on most blocks. The "Blue Collar Chicago" thing is becoming a myth. Chicago is now mostly a mix of immigrants, urban African Americans, and white collar whites. Most of the white blue collar folks who aren't first or second generation immigrants left the city years ago. Part of the Northwest Side and some South Side neighborhoods are filled with policemen and firefighters, but their neighbors are just as likely to be architects or lawyers these days--or immigrants.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't know what Chicago you were living in, but these things are very prevalent in Chicago. Just sitting in my home I'm picking up dozens of wireless networks right now, and ATMs are almost as prevalent as street signs on most blocks. The "Blue Collar Chicago" thing is becoming a myth. Chicago is now mostly a mix of immigrants, urban African Americans, and white collar whites. Most of the white blue collar folks who aren't first or second generation immigrants left the city years ago. Part of the Northwest Side and some South Side neighborhoods are filled with policemen and firefighters, but their neighbors are just as likely to be architects or lawyers these days--or immigrants.
That's what I'M saying... I re-read Chicagocubs post three times to make sure I understood what the heck I was reading...

Off the top of my head, I can name a half dozen places within a block that have free wifi. My neighbors are all white-collar people.

I have no idea what Chicago you lived in, but it bears very little resemblance to the Chicago I know well.

By the way, I just read that part about popping open your laptop anywhere you want to my girlfriend, who has lived in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Winston-Salem for the last ten years, and she said this "Yeah, if you ever get out of your car."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago