Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times

Advertisements

The Aechdiocese list covers all of Cook & Lake Co. The link from Chicago Magazine covers the whole region. Normal people can generally figure out where they live and determine if it makes sense to cross a political boundary to get their kids to a private school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Normal people can answer questions as asked by an OP as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Agreed. Maybe what would be better is if the OP made clearer their desire for 1st hand input & criteria for evaluation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Normal people can answer questions as asked by an OP as well.
Didn't mean to come off too snippy. If folks how do have experience with various private schools maybe weigh in with their understandably subjective views of what makes one school worth considering that might be helpful. That said I realize that such subjective views are of limited value -- the staff changes as does the mix of other families and virtually no one has experience with more than one or two schools...

For folks who do live near a border it is not a big deal at all to cross the street to get kids to a different private school. Unfortunately that is not the case with public schools and living outside of attendance area / not being selected in admissions process will require relocation...

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 18,650 times
I don't think the question is too hard to understand. As I mentioned in my first post, I was looking for an objective ranking of private schools that included some/most of the catholic schools in the Chicago area.

As some of you have pointed out, there does not seem to be much out there. Based on the little that I've been able to gather there seem to be four schools that are generally mentioned in the reviews. Taking into account this four schools, as stated on my second post, and my current parish school (Mt Carmel). I would like to know the opinion of others that have had experiences, subjective or not, with these schools. In particular, I want to know about:

1. Quality of education, how does it compare to other private schools or best hood CPS?
2. School and environment safety?
3. Things to be concerned about, e.g., abusive teachers, lack of resources, lack of interest of parish in school, etc.
4. Facilities, technology, complementary programs?

I think that is all. Might come back asking for more if I think of anything else.

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangos View Post
Hi,

We are currently living in Lavekiew, but we might move a little north or south in the coming year. We want to stay north of Streeterville and south of Uptown... But that is just a wish.

Anyway, we want to enroll our soon to be four year old in a very good Catholic School. Both my wife and I attended Catholic Schools when growing up and we are very pleased with our education. However, we've only been living in Chicago for two years, so we don't know much about the school system here.

Our current parish is Mount Carmel, which has what seems to be a decent school.

Any recommendations? Is there an objective ranking out there?

We are strongly set on sending him to Catholic school, so no need to bring to our attention other private or CPS.

Thanks a lot!
Would Frances Xavier Warde in downtown Chicago (next to Holy Name Cathedral) be viable for you? If so, hands down, it would be the best.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
FXW is 'split up' ..the lower grades are at Francis Xavier Ward , attached to Old St. Patricks church in the West Loop ( Desplaines and Adams, roughly) .. The upper grades are near Holy Name, so ..

Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,650 times
Thanks, other thoughts on schools besides FXW?

FXW is a bit out of the way, plus applications are highly recommended before today

We will be touring AACA and IC in a couple of weeks. A friend also recommended St Clement in LP. Anyone has experience with these?

Thanks,

Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 AM

410 posts, read 491,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

I would avoid St. Benedict btw.
Any reasons?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangos View Post
Thanks, other thoughts on schools besides FXW?

FXW is a bit out of the way, plus applications are highly recommended before today

We will be touring AACA and IC in a couple of weeks. A friend also recommended St Clement in LP. Anyone has experience with these?

Thanks,
I work with a woman who sent her kids to St. Clement and she said that a lot of wealthy Catholics send their kids there. She was pretty happy with the school. The kids go on to St. Ignatius and Loyola.

Last edited by chicagobear; 11-06-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 AM

183 posts, read 338,769 times
St. Clement may be difficult to get into if you are not already a parish member. I have experience with 2 Catholic schools, and I really doubt there is a significant difference in the academic strength of the various Lakeview Catholic schools. Different gym sizes etc., yes. Mt. Carmel has a very good reputation and unless you want to try for Sacred Heart, I can't think why you'd bother sending your child to another area Catholic school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago