Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think Denver is probably not the greatest town for an urban enthusiast, though the landscape surrounding the city is beautiful and the weather is probably better than Chicago's. The downtown is dead on the weekends except for one strip--and that strip seems to be really suburban-mall in character in terms of the mix of businesses. There is a small "hip warehouse district", but once again, it's just too small to create any critical mass of things to do. However, Denver does have affordable single-family homes, so it could be a good city for families. I'm not sure what the schools are like, though.
Just moved to Denver a month ago after being in Chicago my whole life (Burbs, and then Logan Square) you can't even begin to compare the two cities, as they are quite different. Denver is definitely smaller but you still get that "urban" feel and it's not nearly as congested. I love that I can get out to the mountains in under an hour!

I miss Chicago and its food. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
SUV's are more than welcome in Chicago. I just love almost having the side of my car ripped off by a giant SUV on the crowded roads in the city. The reason for the animosity towards pickup trucks, as I understand it, has to do with contractors driving overloaded and uncovered pickups, dropping nails and other debris, creating hazzards on the roads. Lake Shore Drive and the boulevards are generally the highest speed limit roads in the city, excluding the interstate highways of course. So, debris in the roads is a particular hazzard there. Also, some neighborhoods find it to be troublesome as well.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I always see plenty of people with SUVs in the city, but I would probably suggest a smaller one like a Toyota Rav4 or similar as opposed to a Suburban or something. You'll have to parallel park in the city - and that would be very hard with something really large.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 20,553 times
She moved there because her husband got a job offer there and is into boating and fishing so I guess he convinced her. She misses Chicago tremendously. She doesn't dislike Tampa, but she misses the little things the city has to offer. I think someone else mentioned missing the food here, and that's her biggest complaint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky95 View Post
I had forgotten to mention that you wrote your sister moved here I kinda wonder why? I feel that way too. I miss not living in a city. What attracted me to Chicago was that not only is it a little cheaper but it is a bit less dense than NYC. And its location is nice. I can drive to NY and out to my nature areas, Montana and Colorado. I will drive to places more these days than get on a plane. I don’t have the temperament for the crazy security measures theses days. I know its for a good cause, to keep us safe, but it does become as hassle. That's why the pickup came in so handy.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 AM

29 posts, read 138,390 times
Default Chicago

Now that's a bad driver if they hit other cars. Thankfully they are more welcome, I hope to not using it within the city. I would like to use the trains for work and such. I would save on gas the way the prices are today. How high have they gotten there?
I would mostly be driving around when leaving town. I would like to travel and explore around IL, which is when I'd mostlikely use my automobile. That's one of the reasons I'm looking to head back to the city. You don't need a car to get around. You can walk or use the train. traffic, even here in Florida is quite ridiculous. I read something about it yesterday americans spend about
3.7 billion hours stuck in traffic. that's just awful.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky95 View Post
Now that's a bad driver if they hit other cars. Thankfully they are more welcome, I hope to not using it within the city. I would like to use the trains for work and such. I would save on gas the way the prices are today. How high have they gotten there?
I would mostly be driving around when leaving town. I would like to travel and explore around IL, which is when I'd mostlikely use my automobile. That's one of the reasons I'm looking to head back to the city. You don't need a car to get around. You can walk or use the train. traffic, even here in Florida is quite ridiculous. I read something about it yesterday americans spend about
3.7 billion hours stuck in traffic. that's just awful.
Well Chicago has the highest gas prices in the nation, and the second worst congestion. So the less you can drive, the better for your sanity.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,353 times
Chicago is a very pet friendly place. In Bucktown and other parts of the city shopkeepers often leave bowls of water in front of their stores for dogs to have a quick drink. Your dog will be welcomed with open arms unlike your pickup.

The weather isn't that bad and Chicago really is a city that works so even with a really heavy snow we are not out of commision for too long.

The lake front is beautiful and downtown is cleaner than any U.S. big city I've traveled to.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKeys View Post
The weather isn't that bad and Chicago really is a city that works so even with a really heavy snow we are not out of commision for too long.
And if you don't have to drive snow won't really affect you at all.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I know this isn't the suburban forum, but does anyone know offhand if the metra gets bad in the snow?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Almost never. Trains are generally powerful enough to push through snow. An exception might be during a blizzard, but it's been decades. Ice and freezing temperatures are a bigger problem. They can cause switches to stick. Excessive heat can do the same thing, as well as warp the rails. Still, these occurances are pretty infrequent, really not worth worrying about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago