Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times

Advertisements

Chicago doesn't seem touristy and it might not be a destination spot for a lot of folks, but if a person likes to travel, Chicago is somwhere on their list of places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
I don't think Chicago is great for sight-seeing tourism. As a place to live, however, it's awesome.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I don't think Chicago is great for sight-seeing tourism. As a place to live, however, it's awesome.
I guess it depends on what one is looking for in a vacation.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I have to agree with those who say Chicago is one of the major tourist cities in the U.S. If it doesn't "come across as touristy" to you, you haven't spent much time around the Museum campus / Grant Park / Millennium Park / Navy Pier / Magnificent Mile area. I often wish it were less touristy when I'm downtown.
It's true. I live downtown and actually mainly avoid these areas, especially the Mag Mile, because of the hoards of tourists. Tourists are a little weird sometimes, even if they are pumping money here. Some of them act as if they own the city.

[/quote]

Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Chicago has less media exposure than Miami? Huh?

Chicago has more media exposure than any other city in the U.S. except NYC, L.A., and D.C. Atlanta might be in the running simply because of CNN being headquartered there. That's about it.

Heck, I grew up 800 miles away from Chicago watching the Cubs on WGN. The only thing I knew about Miami was that the Golden Girls and Tubbs and Crocket lived there.
Well I'd say they're on the same level but, to me at least, I think Miami has been shown more on TV shows and Music videos etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Chicago in under-rated in sight seeing.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Maybe because I want to go somewhere I didn't go last year?
Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing

Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
So how do you explain New York, Paris, London, Tokyo and most of the rest of the biggest tourist cities in the world that don't fit into either of your classifications?
Advertising. Chicago doesn't need tourist revenue since it's a working city. So it doesn't bother to advertise. The other cities probably don't need tourist revenue either, but you see all sorts of advertising for visiting them.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Advertising. Chicago doesn't need tourist revenue since it's a working city. So it doesn't bother to advertise. The other cities probably don't need tourist revenue either, but you see all sorts of advertising for visiting them.
I would tend to think that their rich histories, global importance and cultural impact weigh a bit more than advertising when it comes to tourism.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Um, tourism revenue pays for many, many of the services in this city. Look at the hotel taxes alone, etc. And look at how much city leaders fight for trade shows, etc.

Quote:
More than 45 million domestic and international tourists visited Chicago in 2008 and spent $11.8 billion, according to the latest figures from the Travel Industry Assn. of America. Those visitors generated about $656 million in tax revenue for the city and state, and contributed to 132,000 local jobs.

For a city in heavy debt, thats hardly chump change.

Traditionally Chicago didnt advertise much, but that has changed as of late.

Chicago to open tourism offices in Brazil, Germany and Japan - Chicago Sun-Times

Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM

359 posts, read 549,175 times
I will say this...I first visited Chicago 20 years ago...in 1992...to watch the Reds play the Cubs. I found myself at that game (as a "tourist") and LOVING the city...loving the people...loving the unique "energy" and vibe that this place has...and then when an opportunity opened up 6 years later, I moved there and never looked back.

When we were there that weekend, we rode the L, we went up and down Michigan ave, went to the Hancock lookout deck...and man it was awesome...and that area still to this day, has that tourist vibe and energy...but its a good energy. Although, I seem to remember Michigan ave having more "schlocky" knick-knack souvenir shops, at the time.

But, the tourist "scene" here is more about going there for the shopping, and looking at the architecture, high rises, the museums, Cubs games, etc. People from all over go there for that, but I do seem to think there is definitely a heavy midwest tourist crowd there. But yes you also get some tourism as a side effect from people going there for business, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago