Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times

Advertisements

I don't blame N. Siders and suburbanites for not knowing about thhe South Side. Especially since most everything is up north.

There's Chinatown and museums on the S.Side but other than that, unless you know someone, there's not much of a reason for a Northsider to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
This isnt unique to Chicago whatsoever.

The larger the city, the more likely this is to happen.
This is definitely true. Growing up in Boston people who lived in Back Bay or Allston/Brighton couldn't even tell you where Jamaica Plain or Somerville were. Same thing in London when I lived in Shephard's Bush, it wasn't on the radar of most people living closer to the center of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsandStripes79 View Post
There are some really good bars and restaurants in the Bridgeport neighborhood. People don't even know where to go before and after a White Sox game either.
Part of the problem is that the good places to go are on/towards Halsted - away from the Red line. You have to walk a good distance away from where you're ultimately headed if you're headed North. I frequently go to Bernice's, Thaller's, or Mitchell's, but it takes some extra effort. Hell, sometimes I take the bus home and hit Skylark, but the bus ride is significantly longer than taking the Red Line. It's a lot easier to hop on the Red Line and grab some food in Chinatown or hit a bar closer to home after a game.

I moved to Chicago about 20 years ago and have made an effort to check out all parts of the city. I still make regular pilgrimages to Calumet Fisheries, Babara Ann's, and a few other places on the Southside. But overall there isn't the same density of places to go to as there are on the North and Northwest sides. It's not just the Southside though - the same can be said about the far Northwest and much of the West and Southwest sides.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
The real question with this topic, when it comes up every two weeks or so, is why people who love to poke around the South Side despite not having any friends or business there feel the need to be so self-congratulatory about it.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I am not specifically avoiding the South Side; but most of the things I want to do are either on the North Side, or in the Loop area. I am familiar with some aspects of the South Side (Comiskey, Bridgeport, Pilsen etc) but for the most part.........
Well there you go, Pilsen (often known as "18th St." to us oldtimers) is on the West Side.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The real question with this topic, when it comes up every two weeks or so, is why people who love to poke around the South Side despite not having any friends or business there feel the need to be so self-congratulatory about it.
Pretty snarky comment there. What is so wrong with people wanting to explore their city? If nothing else the south side is an amazing piece of territory for the amateur urbanologist to study.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
I always take care of my business and show respect no matter what side of town I'm on
because I have Chicago family everywhere in the city and the burbs.

and that's coming from someone who's stuck in the middle of yous guys ........West Side

Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
1. Its old.
2. Its boring.

Making it old and boring. Might include depressing.

Southsiders also have their own brand of special pride that can be annoying as well. Like "We're too big, bad, and tough for those sissy northsiders! Yeahhh!"

Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Southsiders don't care about northside either.

"Where u from"
Northside

"Lolzzzz northside boyztown..... lolz u live with *******.... bunch of white ppl lolzzz.... sweet ass neighborhoods lollzz."
Good that they think that way. Keeps the trouble out.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
There is a lot of intersting, fun, authentic stuff on the South Side. You really can't compare it to the North Side in terms of density of stuff to do. But for me going down to Briggeport and Chinatown, even McKinley Park, taking that long walk or ride down Canal or Halsted, or down Archer, is always very refreshing.

It's really no different than hanging out in, say, Belmont Cragin. You will find a few interesting things to do, like go to Polish bakeries or an old authentic pizzeria, but not enough to draw crowds down there.

I admit I haven't strayed too far south of 47th Street west of the lakeshore, though. Once in a while I've asked friends who live in neighborhoods south of that if there is anything worth checking out down there and they have generally answered "Not really." Obviously not including Hyde Park...

I don't have a car or I would probably go exploring those other neighborhoods more, at least some of them.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
agree with chicago south sider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago