Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 AM

406 posts, read 1,035,120 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm driving to Chicago for the first time from Indy on Thanksgiving. I heard that Chicago is notorious for traffic tickets...can you give me some tips to avoid getting traffic tickets? Any specific things I should be aware of like cameras and such?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 AM

389 posts, read 917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
Hi,

I'm driving to Chicago for the first time from Indy on Thanksgiving. I heard that Chicago is notorious for traffic tickets...can you give me some tips to avoid getting traffic tickets? Any specific things I should be aware of like cameras and such?

Thanks!
the most common cars I see pulled out on the road recently are old cars for some reason, I dunno, perhaps they use the profile of car condition to catch drug dealers...

As long as you go 60-65 you wont get ticket and little bit slow down on work zones. If you have one of your lights busted up and plan to drive at night, you need to fix it.

Also if you have Android or iphone smartphone, you could download Waze to track down any incidents reported by drivers including police patrols. very handy app!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,123,751 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
1. Do like the locals do.

2. Don't go through yellow lights.

3. Don't insist on turning on a red signal.

4. If stopped, don't presume (or state!) that the police would be better utilized going after criminals.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
I second Waze; I haven't used it in Chicago (but I'd imagine with a city its size there would be a lot of users, which is the key to its success) but it's a handy little program to be sure.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
Parking tickets could be at play too. Make sure you look at the signs and do not park in street cleaning zones or loading zones or anywhere else you should not park. It is really hard to find a place to park in some areas. Also do not park in store parking lots unless you plan on going to that store. Towing is a big danger and very costly.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,942,173 times
You have to be doing something very stupid to get a moving violation. Parking ticket, well, if you only get one while your here be happy

Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
You have to be doing something very stupid to get a moving violation. Parking ticket, well, if you only get one while your here be happy
In the city? Yes. The drive in is probably a different story though.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,064,870 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Check out Trapster if you have a smartphone.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM

483 posts, read 838,108 times
I don't really think it's much different from most places I've been in the US. On the highways, I'd say you're less likely to get a ticket given the generally high volume of traffic. On the city streets, I think you're much less likely to get a ticket for things like speeding and stop signs. The main thing to be aware of (for now) is red light cameras. Don't push it on yellow lights.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,181,179 times
Chicago is notorious for parking tickets. For traffic tickets, not so much, other than the ones generated by the red light cameras, which are only at certain intersections (which you can look up online), and which are avoided by stopping in time.

As for regular traffic tickets, you're more likely to get one in Indy or on I-65 on your trip than you are in Chicago. I regularly see people in Chicago pull illegal traffic moves in front of cops that would get them a ticket most other places (not signaling, going 10 over the speed limit, making u-turns, coasting through stop signs, etc.) For the most part cops have bigger fish to fry here.

If you're going to park on the street, though, read parking signs very carefully. You may have to walk up and down the street to find the sign. When in doubt, just park in a pay lot. It's cheaper than a parking ticket. I've never been pulled over or received a red light camera ticket, but I've had many parking tickets, as has everyone I know who owns a car in the city. Most have been towed at least once, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago