Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,016 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My husband and I are moving to Chicago and currently just doing some research on the area. Since I'm not from the area I don't know what a realistic commute is (everything is relative). Looking at Tinley Park, it's roughly a 30 mile drive but it looks like public transit takes 60-90 minutes. Let me know if you have any insight on what this rush hour commute would be like - thanks!

*for metra and for driving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Tinley Park is actually a suburb of Chicago. It's one of the more southern suburbs of Chicago. Is there a reason you're looking in the suburbs as opposed to somewhere in the city of Chicago? Or are you looking for a suburban area only and work will be in West Loop?

If you DID live there and went to the West Loop for work, then I wouldn't drive unless the company pays for parking. Most people who work in and around the loop (maybe 400,000 people) take public transit there (or maybe walk, ride a bike, cab, etc). Parking is expensive on average and adds up. Even if you found something for $12/day which would be considered very cheap, it would still end up costing you around $240/month to park there plus the cost of gas (30 miles in a car that gets 25 miles per gallon at $4/gallon would be around another $190-$200/month.

The interstate south isn't bad, but once you hit within a few miles of the Loop it will get busy depending on the day of week and whatever. Getting back out there..another story from downtown. You could be in some heavy traffic for awhile until you get south of around Chinatown maybe..then you probably have an alright path home.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-12-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Tinley Park is a not a particularly convenient suburb for commuting to Chicago. The relatively poor rail service does not compare favorably with lines that have better service. If you prefer to drive the distance and degree to which there are multiple routes makes other areas better suited.

There are some pluses to Tinley Park, like a selection of homes that are not particularly costly, but without knowing your budget or types of community you desire it is hard to say if there are not better choices.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,016 times
Thanks guys. My target price is around $400,000 - we are looking at places $350,000 - $475,000. We have one kid, so safety and schools and community are a priority. We are looking everywhere right now, I keep hearing Evanston and nearby is a place we should look but I don't see much inventory in our price range there. Also, I really want a 2 car garage.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 AM

I would not be focused on towns that are priced signficantly above your target nor those too far out. On the near north try Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove -- though those are older towns they ought to have pretty solid housing stock and two garages are pretty standard.

West I would look to Berwyn and Brookfield, Lisle and Downers Grove, Villa Park, Lombard Wheaton and parts of Elmhurst might also work.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would not be focused on towns that are priced signficantly above your target nor those too far out. On the near north try Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove -- though those are older towns they ought to have pretty solid housing stock and two garages are pretty standard.

West I would look to Berwyn and Brookfield, Lisle and Downers Grove, Villa Park, Lombard Wheaton and parts of Elmhurst might also work.
True but OP doesn't know which towns are priced significantly above target price! Berwyn, Brookfield, Lisle and Downers Grove are on the Metra Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line which has a great schedule for getting into Chicago's Union Station for work and sometimes for play. I lived in Bridgeview and drove to Berwyn to catch the train. Couldn't get much easier!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Default Funny you should mention that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
True but OP doesn't know which towns are priced significantly above target price! Berwyn, Brookfield, Lisle and Downers Grove are on the Metra Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line which has a great schedule for getting into Chicago's Union Station for work and sometimes for play. I lived in Bridgeview and drove to Berwyn to catch the train. Couldn't get much easier!
Our benevlolent hosts have recently upgraded the town / city level detail pages so that you can now see where the costly vs more affordable homes are located -- http://www.city-data.com/city/Evanston-Illinois.html

Pretty helpful to sorta narrow down the areas that might be attractive.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Tinley Park isn't a bad commute by public transportation. I took it for 4 years going to the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Tinley has 2 Metra Rock Island line train stations, one on 80th Avenue and the other on Oak Park Avenue. 80th Avenue has more parking but you will have to pay for parking daily at either station.

I would buy a monthly train ticket, you can check online for the price, and ride the train 5 days a week. During certain rush periods, the trains run quite frequently, maybe 15-17 minute gaps between trains.

You will get dropped off downtown literally right across the street from a Blue Line CTA el station which can take you out west.

It's really not a bad commute at all.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,457 times
could the OP find anything in Oak Park for that amount? that would seem to be much closer than Tinley Park. Maybe Norridge as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Tinley Park is a not a particularly convenient suburb for commuting to Chicago. The relatively poor rail service does not compare favorably with lines that have better service. If you prefer to drive the distance and degree to which there are multiple routes makes other areas better suited.

There are some pluses to Tinley Park, like a selection of homes that are not particularly costly, but without knowing your budget or types of community you desire it is hard to say if there are not better choices.
Tinley Park has 2 metra stops; Oak Park Ave and 80th Ave; my parents took metra downtown from Tinley for 20 years, never had any issues. It is an easy commute via metra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago