Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Speaking of the Jeffrey Jump, has anyone on here ridden it yet? I'm contemplating heading down there on the #14 just to see how it works. I'm optimistic about this solution to make up for the severe lack of political will to fund rail transit. Every time I ride a local bus, I almost go postal over the fact that the bus stops every single block, and then everyone gets on and individually rummages around for their transit cards while holding up the bus. The half-mile spacing of stops and dedicated lanes are welcome features in my book
You are so right about people. They could be waiting for 15 minutes just looking around and when the bus comes they jump to the front of the line and sit their purse down with attitude and take 30 seconds to find their card. You better not say anything to them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM

230 posts, read 385,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Given the challenges of even finding any kind of retail business in the area it would not be on any list of recommended neighborhoods I'd come up with but surely the real estate dreamers that can sell Pilsen or Humbolt Park as "on the verge" have no qualms about stretching the limits of credulity when it comes to gullible new residents...
I'm one of those new residents to Chicago who chose to make Humboldt my home. I am less than a block to both Cermak Produce and Family Dollar, meaning for many of my daily household and grocery purchases I can walk right outside my door. So Humboldt isn't even on the verge; it's functional and I am quite happy there.

Last edited by trailblazer33; 12-17-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
So Humboldt isn't even on the verge; it's functional and I am quite happy there.
And Pilsen is well past HP in terms of being "on the verge," so it was an even sillier example to use. It's been 10-15 years since Pilsen was where HP is now. It doesn't need sketchy landlords and realtors to stretch the truth. Those types have moved on to Little Village, uh, I mean "West Pilsen."

Humboldt, by the way, still has 16 murders the past year, though that's down from 21 the year before and 29 the year before that.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 12-17-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 AM

7 posts, read 10,807 times
Thanks for all the replys. Not a day goes by without gentrification on my mind. And a day dosent go by without me walking pass a middle class white business lady on 71st n Yates. Of course she's staring at me hard! We are two pioneers in gangland. As for 67th street and the east side of Jackson park there already starting to look like a "mini Hyde park" with demographics changing dramatically.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket View Post
Thanks for all the replys. Not a day goes by without gentrification on my mind. And a day dosent go by without me walking pass a middle class white business lady on 71st n Yates. Of course she's staring at me hard! We are two pioneers in gangland. As for 67th street and the east side of Jackson park there already starting to look like a "mini Hyde park" with demographics changing dramatically.
Pretty soon every city and neighborhood in America will be the same boring polyglot, multi-everything nonsense.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM

Better then being the only one. Also the color of someone's skin or way of life doesn't bother me I talk to the local residents . Either a huge thug or a artsy hipster. Everyone gets the same amount of respect

Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM

Ya sure if they **** with me but they don't it's not englewood

Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket View Post
Ya sure if they **** with me but they don't it's not englewood
My brotha, even if you were in Englewood you'd be fine. Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't pay no attention to these fools on C-D. Yes, there is plenty of violence in the hood. But, white folks are not the target. Trust me.

Grim Cycle: Black Men Killing Black Men - WSJ.com

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 37,658 times
I don't know if I have anything to add to this really, but I'll participate anyway since I am a White/Mexican living off of 47th and Lake Park. I guess there are a couple of things that stand out to me: one, it's really hard to get fresh tortillas, and I've never lived in a neighborhood where I had to search for them before (I've only been in Kenwood for a year); and two, sometimes I'll get asked "why did I move here" since I am not a student nor a prof at UChicago. I never ever answer in any snarky way, and it's always nicely asked, but I do get asked. I guess the question behind the question is, "if you have no business here, then why here and not the north side". I don't mind the question, I just notice it.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 PM

That's funny when I was young I would always go to a quince in that area. Even if the chick lived in south derring they would host it there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago