Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Hipsters be damned, Chet got thru an entire post without his usual obligatory references to corrupt politicians and excessive taxation. Could he really be warming up to Chicago and Illinois?
He got distracted by a cute dog and forgot to be an irrational anti-urban a-hole for 5 seconds. Let's not get carried away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Sheesh I try share a heartwarming story and this is the response ?

Reminds me of the reason Ghostbusters gave for all the negative energy -- some of you folks with chips on your shoulder really ought to take a look at the efforts that lots of posters put into steering folks toward a situation that'll work for 'em. The one-side message of too many that preach some phony bs about every spot inside 606xx being a magical urban paradise or setting up unrealistic expectations abut finding great apartments at cheap rents are doing no favors to folks that end up in areas ill-suited to their needs...

I've seen more than my fair share of former pets along the side of the expressways with rigor mortis and I think it was great that the WMAQ helicopter was able to spot this pet before it ended up dead. The good fortune of a vetiinary office offering to do the surgery gratis is a darned nice story.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Sheesh I try share a heartwarming story and this is the response ?

Reminds me of the reason Ghostbusters gave for all the negative energy -- some of you folks with chips on your shoulder really ought to take a look at the efforts that lots of posters put into steering folks toward a situation that'll work for 'em. The one-side message of too many that preach some phony bs about every spot inside 606xx being a magical urban paradise or setting up unrealistic expectations abut finding great apartments at cheap rents are doing no favors to folks that end up in areas ill-suited to their needs...

I've seen more than my fair share of former pets along the side of the expressways with rigor mortis and I think it was great that the WMAQ helicopter was able to spot this pet before it ended up dead. The good fortune of a vetiinary office offering to do the surgery gratis is a darned nice story.
It is a nice Christmas story.

Most of the other comments are mostly just teasing, anyway. But I should say that most, if not all, contributors to the Chicago forum do their best to steer new residents to living situations that are with their budgets, have decent commutes to work, and enough amenities ( "urban" or otherwise) to make everyday life enjoyable. I really haven't seen many posters try to "push" the same neighborhoods over and over, especially if they make no sense at all to the newcomer. Some answers are pretty obvious, some will take a bit longer to arrive at...

Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
some of you folks with chips on your shoulder
You do own a mirror, right? Or maybe a black pot and kettle you could check in with?

In all seriousness, it is really a great story. People are reacting with surprise is because a heartwarming story is wildly inconsistent with the tone of most of what you post, and one heartwarming story doesn't cancel out thousands of vitriolic, obtuse, contrarian, and often flat-out trolling posts. I'm sure you must recognize that on some level. Steering every poster toward the suburbs when they come to a forum for the city to ask questions about the city is not "steering folks toward a situation that will work for them." How many city dwellers go to the suburbs forum daily to tell everyone who asks questions about the suburbs that they should move to the city? I don't read that forum often, but I'm going to guess the answer is zero.

And yes, as MassVt noted, we're teasing you about it, because it pretty much begs for it. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You do own a mirror, right? Or maybe a black pot and kettle you could check in with?

In all seriousness, it is really a great story. People are reacting with surprise is because a heartwarming story is wildly inconsistent with the tone of most of what you post, and one heartwarming story doesn't cancel out thousands of vitriolic, obtuse, contrarian, and often flat-out trolling posts. I'm sure you must recognize that on some level. Steering every poster toward the suburbs when they come to a forum for the city to ask questions about the city is not "steering folks toward a situation that will work for them." How many city dwellers go to the suburbs forum daily to tell everyone who asks questions about the suburbs that they should move to the city? I don't read that forum often, but I'm going to guess the answer is zero.

And yes, as MassVt noted, we're teasing you about it, because it pretty much begs for it. Happy Holidays.
Post. Of. The. Day!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Really, who cares?
I do.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Sit boo boo sit

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Sit boo boo sit
Ubu

Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Ubu

Maybe he/she meant "Sit Honey boo boo sit"? j/k

any update on the dog?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Maybe he/she meant "Sit Honey boo boo sit"? j/k

any update on the dog?

Maybe I referred to an old 80s tv show....??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago