Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
How annoying is the having to take off and on some of your layers between being outside and indoors?

@ Lorielicious

Thanks your insight is most informative!

How much worse does it feel between 45 and 30 degrees?
Okay, a couple of things before I answer your questions.

- I feel the need to point out those L station heat lamps are entirely useless. When's the last time it's been cold, and anyone's turned on the heat lamp and thought, "Oh, well it's warm now"? Never. It's much like an elevator's notoriously broken "Door Close" button that you press because it'll make everyone feel better to see you've pressed it. That's the L stop heat lamps right there. They don't actually do anything, but but people erroneously feel better when they're on.

- I don't require that my next apt be near an underground L stop, but that would gain it massive awesome points. The stations are air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter, which would rule my school so hard.

- Difference between 30 and 45? Oh dear merciful Lords, it's 30 degrees right now, and if someone told me it would be 45 degrees tomorrow, I'd kiss that person, and then the ground.

- Oh, and the temperature changes between in- and outdoors aren't that annoying. Mainly you just take off your gloves, but meh. It's not like you break into a massive sweat the minute you walk into a building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
How frequently do you find that difference within winter cities in the Midwest/Northeast?
Midwest: Spend a winter in Wichita and a winter in Duluth and tell me there's no difference.

Northeast: Spend a winter in NJ and a winter in Bangor, ME and tell me there's no difference.

Until then, S.T. F. U. You have NO idea what you're talking about. None.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Midwest: Spend a winter in Wichita and a winter in Duluth and tell me there's no difference.

Northeast: Spend a winter in NJ and a winter in Bangor, ME and tell me there's no difference.

Until then, S.T. F. U. You have NO idea what you're talking about. None.

Oh, you've done this?

K.

Btw, the winters I spent in NJ were among its worst, bud.

Whats next?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
How much worse does it feel between 45 and 30 degrees?

Its like any other 15 degree difference. If youre used to 45 and go down to 30, youll be much colder. If youre used to 30 and go up to 45, youll be much warmer.

20-30 feels the same to me. 10-20 feels the same to me. Frankly, when youre getting lower and lower, flat out, there is no difference. Single digits (0-9) feel no different either. Its not until the temperature differences are greater than 10 degrees IMO that youll notice considerable difference.

However, one thing these fellas havent mentioned yet is that winter temperatures arent constant. Especially within the last few years, theres been days where its in the 40s and 50s, and the 10s and 20s. Chicago weather, like much of the North, can have these variances.

Its not going to be 32 or 25 every day. It will go up and down. The temperatures are not consistent like say, SF.

Look at the vast majority of the US tonight. between 20-40s. So basically its chilly or cold pretty much everywhere. But 30 degrees in Chicago is different than 30 degrees in NYC..

Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 PM

People put so much stock into numbers when it comes to temperature differences.

Comparing NYC and Chicago is not like Miami to Minneapolis here.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Okay, this is all stupid......and also technically, Chicago is warmer than a lot of places in the Upper Midwest. North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin (and half of Michigan) are all colder. HOWEVER, even though Chicago is warmer on average than say Ames, Iowa, Chicago is still considered "cold"

Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay, this is all stupid......and also technically, Chicago is warmer than a lot of places in the Upper Midwest. North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin (and half of Michigan) are all colder. HOWEVER, even though Chicago is warmer on average than say Ames, Iowa, Chicago is still considered "cold"

Right, and to the rest of us who live in similarly cold climates throughout the Great Lakes, Midwest, Northeast, its still par for the course.

It is definitely not the worst, thats for sure.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Right, and to the rest of us who live in similarly cold climates throughout the Great Lakes, Midwest, Northeast, its still par for the course.

It is definitely not the worst, thats for sure.
Yes, but it is still cold, and a lot colder than San Diego ever gets. I will never say Chicago ISNT cold..it is. Just compared to the rest of the upper midwest, it's slightly warmer (not by a ton though).

Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Again. This isnt warm climates vs. Chicago. Its warm climates vs. cold climates.

There is no majority who thinks Chicago is the "worst" winter other than those in warm climates, because the other 150+ million have ****ty winters of their own to deal with. Thats the entire point, and its why people only cherry-picking certain cities are wrong. You cannot say any majority of people thinks this way about Chicago considering the large number of people (whether its in a city that "matters" or not).

Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Oh, you've done this?
No, I haven't, because like most people I can notice the difference between winter in those places in a matter of hours, or at most a day or two. You're apparently a little too slow for that, so I was hoping maybe after an entire winter you'd get it. If subtlety isn't your thing, perhaps being beaten over the head with the difference would do it.

Quote:
Btw, the winters I spent in NJ were among its worst, bud.
1) What does this even mean? "Among its worst"? Among the worst of what? Did you drive north during that winter? If so, did the weather stay the same? No, it got worse. The difference in winter weather is quite noticeable even between Boston and Northern Maine, let alone between New Jersey and Northern Maine.

2) Stop calling me "bud". You're a few dozen IQ points below anyone I call a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago