Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 AM

221 posts, read 335,325 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to do some digging on historical aspects of my building. I think it would be pretty cool to see the origional blueprints or whatnot from when it was built. Now since this place was built in the late 1920's...I'm scratching my head here.

Anyone know if some department in Chicago would have copies of such a thing? I figure with all the regulations in the city...maybe they kept records somewhere.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM

258 posts, read 760,187 times
I don't think Chicago keeps any such records. The Chicago History Museum does have blueprint files from a couple of large firms.

As for history, you can check the building permit records to find the architect and the date. Learn how here. Armed with that, you can go though back issues of The Economist at Chicago Public Library, but that's tedious and time-consuming, and the only new info it will really yield for an ordinary small apartment building is the estimated cost and the developer.

Now if it's a large apartment building—especially one by a well-known architect—more info might be available in architectural magazines of the time or even the newspaper real estate sections. What's the address?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM

289 posts, read 896,878 times
We bought our house ten years ago. My wife and I had some time after our closing so we went to the recorder of deeds to try to find our blueprints. Our house was built in 1898 and we were told that there are no plans/specs for buildings before the 1950s. There is a room where you can look up every owner of your building all the way back to when the land was first subdivided. That's about all the history available in the public record.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 335,325 times
Thanks guys.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,800 times
We bought our house in 1979.We would like to do some remolding and updates but we are in need of the blueprints, what is the procedure to obtain these blueprints? Where do i go?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
If it's just a normal house, and the blueprints aren't with the house, it's unlikely the city has a copy.

Hire an architect in the area familiar with homes. Your home is most likely of a typical design (Chicago doesn't have THAT much variation) they should be accustomed to, and you're going to need an architect stamp when you file the prints for the permits anyway.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,367 times
If it was built in the city they needed permits. Which require the submission of a blueprint.

Go to city hall
6th floor
(I think its room 605, but just ask the lady at the desk as you get off the elevator)
Fill out a 'Freedom of Information Act' for your home.
Bring proof it's your home.

No cost.
If you smile and be nice they will do it while you are waiting. But don't expect it.

[rpaz, why are you giving advice in the Chicago area if you live in the bay area?]

Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
If it was built in the city they needed permits. Which require the submission of a blueprint.

Go to city hall
6th floor
(I think its room 605, but just ask the lady at the desk as you get off the elevator)
Fill out a 'Freedom of Information Act' for your home.
Bring proof it's your home.

No cost.
If you smile and be nice they will do it while you are waiting. But don't expect it.
This is all stuff your local architect should know how to do -- who you'll need to prepare your new documents anyway. Besides, you never know if someone changed something over the years (and didnt file all the paperwork) or if the house has settled and shifted a bit.

Also, I thought I heard my dad talking about a fire years ago (sixties-seventies?) that burned a lot of the city records anyway. We're talking what -- 90 years ago the place was built, I don't think meticulous records were kept back then, but hey, worth a try.

Quote:
[rpaz, why are you giving advice in the Chicago area if you live in the bay area?]
Well, you're right about my current location, but I'd hope that I haven't forgotten everything about the place I lived my whole life.

Last edited by rparz; 11-03-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago