U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,480,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I agree with this, but just pointing out that NYC doesn't have that frat vibe, and Chicago does.

Obviously there are d-bags all over the country, both Greek and non-Greek, but you don't get the Lincoln Park/Lakeview feel in many other major cities. Even Hoboken is nowhere near as frat-oriented as Lincoln Park. There are no "Sigma Nu at Michigan State" bars in Hoboken like in Lincoln Park.

And I didn't get that vibe in the Bay Area either. For whatever reason, the Greek presence is just more prominent in Chicagoland, and especially in the yuppie Northside areas.

I don't think Williamsburg is really similar to Logan Square, BTW. It's sorta similar to Wicker Park/Bucktown in that there's a mix of hipsters and professionals, but no way comparable to Logan Square. You have CNN anchors and investment bankers living in Williamsburg. I don't think Chicago's .1% are living in Logan Square, which is pretty tough, even today. Bushwick would probably be the closest equivalent to Logan Square, though Bushwick is much more hipster-oriented than Logan Square.
Are you saying that greeks are D Bags?

Also, as I mentioned earlier it is an unfair comparison. Lincoln Park is home to DePaul which IS a HUGE college campus WITH fraternities and sororities. It has a COLLEGE TOWN feel and nothing more. All greeks and non greeks partied hard at my school. It doesn't take a fraternity to do that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,554,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
On another thread I noted that there was a large Greek presence in Chicago, and very fratty feel as opposed to my experiences living in NYC and CA, and some Chicago forumers jumped on me.

I stand by my comments. Among major U.S. cities, Chicago has the most obvious "frat-sorority" feel. Obviously there are plenty of Greeks in all major U.S. cities, but Chicago appears to be unique in that people identify with their greek experience well into their post-grad years (enough so that there are, for example, bars in Lincoln Park and Lakeview associated with certain fraternities at certain Big 10 universities).

In contrast, the Ivy League tends to be the biggest "feeder conference" into NYC, and there isn't a big Greek presence in the Ivy League (and what exists isn't as obvious and in-your-face as at large state universities). Also, many of the smaller private colleges in the Northeast don't have Greek systems, and frat-boy culture is considered kinda lame.

Now, granted, you don't have to be Greek to live in Chicago, but I'm just saying that the presence is tough to ignore, especially in the yuppie areas.
You seem to base your posts on the assumption that "Frat Vibe" is bad and "Ivy League Vibe" is good, which is completely moronic. I lived in NYC for 2.5 years, and there is definitely many Frat types there and many many many college bars in the city. Some of the douchiest people I have met in my life are Ivy Leaguers.
It is obvious that your Chicago experience ends at Lakeview and Lincoln park, because try walking through Bridgeport, Pilsen, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, Wicker Park and telling others there is a huge "frat-Sorority feel. That is like me spending most of my time in Sound View, Bronx and saying New York has a huge Public Housing Vibe.
Why is it that everyone of your posts is passive-aggressively bashing Chicago?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,041,833 times
I pretty much agree with PA Born. I think the point is that the social life in Chicago for white-collar people in their 20's contains a very substantial aspect related to people living out their frat/sorority ways during their post-college lives. I agree that Chicago is extreme when it comes to this and it seemed a bit weird to me upon moving here.

Areas in NYC like this do exist (e.g. Hoboken, Murry Hill) but they're more of a niche rather than large aspect of the social scene.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I pretty much agree with PA Born. I think the point is that the social life in Chicago for white-collar people in their 20's contains a very substantial aspect related to people living out their frat/sorority ways during their post-college lives. I agree that Chicago is extreme when it comes to this and it seemed a bit weird to me upon moving here.

Areas in NYC like this do exist (e.g. Hoboken, Murry Hill) but they're more of a niche rather than large aspect of the social scene.
Perhaps my view of "frat" vibe is entirely different. Considering I was in a fraternity I thought I would be able to understand what you all mean. I am confused on how "frat vibe" is any different from just another drunken college kid.

Subtract the greek letters and you get drunk college student. What the hell is the difference? and I KNOW people don't go to bars with their letters on in Chicago.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

What is the difference between "frat/sorority ways" Post College and just going out drinking heavily post college?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
What is the difference between "frat/sorority ways" Post College and just going out drinking heavily post college?
Exactly. If that is what the OP/5lakes meant by Frat Vibe then yes Lincoln Park is full of heavy drinkers in their 20's.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,041,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Exactly. If that is what the OP/5lakes meant by Frat Vibe then yes Lincoln Park is full of heavy drinkers in their 20's.
There are plenty of heavy drinking 20-somthings out there that do not fit this mold. If that was not the case then why would this conversation be happening and why does this topic continue to come up in regards to Chicago's north side neighborhoods? Yeah, it's a stereotype about Chicago's north side but it did not come out of thin air. Nothing inherently wrong with it either, but that vibe can be off-putting to some.

As to what typical "frat vibe" traits are; well, it's kind of like one of those things where you know it when you see it. Kind of like spotting a hipster, a hood rat, or redneck. If you often sport a North Face fleece, like to play bag toss on the sidewalk in the summer, love the Dave Mathews Band, attend lots of parties where flip cup is the central activity, and frequent such drinking establishments as the Schoolyard, Kirkwood, McGee's, the Pony Inn, or Duffy's; then there is a strong chance that you give off the "frat vibe."

Not saying that you had to have been in a frat/sorority to have these traits, but they're often common in those circles. They're probably also common at colleges among the non-greek population where greek life is a large part of the social scene. Also not saying that every person who was in a fraternity/sorority is like this either, because I certainly know that's not the case. Just speaking in general terms.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
There are plenty of heavy drinking 20-somthings out there that do not fit this mold. If that was not the case then why would this conversation be happening and why does this topic continue to come up in regards to Chicago's north side neighborhoods? Yeah, it's a stereotype about Chicago's north side but it did not come out of thin air. Nothing inherently wrong with it either, but that vibe can be off-putting to some.

As to what typical "frat vibe" traits are; well, it's kind of like one of those things where you know it when you see it. Kind of like spotting a hipster, a hood rat, or redneck. If you often sport a North Face fleece, like to play bag toss on the sidewalk in the summer, love the Dave Mathews Band, attend lots of parties where flip cup is the central activity, and frequent such drinking establishments as the Schoolyard, Kirkwood, McGee's, the Pony Inn, or Duffy's; then there is a strong chance that you give off the "frat vibe."

Not saying that you had to have been in a frat/sorority to have these traits, but they're often common in those circles. They're probably also common at colleges among the non-greek population where greek life is a large part of the social scene. Also not saying that every person who was in a fraternity/sorority is like this either, because I certainly know that's not the case. Just speaking in general terms.
I definitely see where you are coming from, but outside of Lincoln Park and Lakeview bars, where else in Chicago is this prevalent? It is easy to avoid that scene. When people come on this board and say Chicago is a frat party city, they are mostly referring to Lincoln Park and Lakeview Bars, Chicago, like other cities, is too large to generalize.
Having moved to NYC right after college, that scene exists just as much there as it does here.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,943,714 times
Something tells me this issue goes way beyond the midwest

Greek Life Statistics | The Fraternity Advisor

Quote:
There are over 9 million Greek members nationally
Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
63% of the U.S. President’s Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
1 st Female Senator was Greek
1 st Female Astronaut was Greek
All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year
71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity
As Alumni, Greeks give approximately 75% of all money donated to universities
There are 123 fraternities and sororities with 9 million members total
There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada
That being said, if you don't like it go back to PA where you came from and go hang out with Rick Santorum or what ever. Or go back to Santa Cruz and look at a University with no greek life, no sports, and no spirit or community or even a student quad to gather. No one is forcing you to live in Wrigleyville. Go hang out in Englewood.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM

9,079 posts, read 10,508,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Something tells me this issue goes way beyond the midwest

Greek Life Statistics | The Fraternity Advisor

That being said, if you don't like it go back to PA where you came from and go hang out with Rick Santorum or what ever. Or go back to Santa Cruz and look at a University with no greek life, no sports, and no spirit or community or even a student quad to gather. No one is forcing you to live in Wrigleyville. Go hang out in Englewood.
Of course, but your being logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago