Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Nice. BTW fun walk down Grand from downtown till around Western. Old Italian neighborhood. Maybe 10 percent Italian now. Still a lot of cool stuff to see/taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Nice. BTW fun walk down Grand from downtown till around Western. Old Italian neighborhood. Maybe 10 percent Italian now. Still a lot of cool stuff to see/taste.
I find the walk ... boring, for the most part. Particularly from "Downtown" west to just past the Kennedy. The Italian community is miniscule there. There might be a 5 block stretch of Grand, from, about Bari Foods to the other side of Ogden Avenue ... just past DAmato Bakery. It's not a stretch (the one suggested) that I think most visitors will be interested with.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
I think part of the Portillos wizardry is their high turnover. The meat isn't sitting in the gravy for hours getting overcooked because people just keep ordering it. Also, they bake their rolls before dipping which gives them a crusty exterior which no other stand seems to do.
I think you're right. Turnover ... and high-quality ingredients/products is Portillo's key to success. I eat the hot dogs there more than the beef. I wasn't aware that Portillo bakes its bread for the beef sandwiches; I thought they purchased it. Interesting. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM

It depends what you're interested in. I think places like Salerno, Oggi, the outdoor wine garden across from Salerno, D'Amatos, Bari, la Scarloa, Richard's etc. a lot of fun.

You are right that there isn't much toward Western...I think anything Italian kind of peters out around Ashland.

I still enjoy that stretch of Grand though.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
Hi, Bari is on my short list.
Bari has an excellent butcher/meat operation and from that sprang the sandwich-making. Depending on the day of week and time of day, you may have to wait 20 minutes or so for your order. But the meats/cheeses are fresh, the bread excellent. One thing I'm consistently disappointed by is the house-produced giardiniera. I rank it as the worst I've tasted in Chicago. My first-choice for a sandwich there is the Prosciutto and fresh mozzarella. Heavenly. There's no place to sit/stand to eat, however. Unless, of course, you use one of the newspaper boxes on the sidewalk out front to set things on. During warm weather months, when I head there for lunch weekdays, I sit on some stairs around the corner. Enjoy your visit!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think you're right. Turnover ... and high-quality ingredients/products is Portillo's key to success. I eat the hot dogs there more than the beef. I wasn't aware that Portillo bakes its bread for the beef sandwiches; I thought they purchased it. Interesting. Thanks.
Hi, I didn't mean they bake it from scratch. I think it's run through the conveyor toaster before dipping.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
I never understood the fascination with Portillo's. They are ok, but I've had much better at local places around town. That's the great thing about Chicago. Every few blocks you can find a hidden gem for excellent pizza/beef/sausage.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The Italian community is miniscule there.
They're out in Villa Park now.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
They're out in Villa Park now.
A guy who lives over there on Grand told me the neighborhood is around 10 percent Italian, if that.

I would guess Taylor Street is the same, or possibly even lower.

But considering Italian immigration started petering out around 1920, that is just to be expected.

It's nice a few of the neighborhoods still retain a little Italian character.

I suppose Bridgeport would be the closest thing in Chicago these days to an old Italian neighborhood similar to a traditional Italian neighborhood one might expect to find in NY. Not that they are even close to a majority, but it's still a middle class neighborhood with a fair amount of Italians and a little Italian flavor.

A few of the burbs too of course.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
More like Elmwood Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago