Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,766 times

Advertisements

I am a college student in MI, right now for various reasons (Change of scenery etcetera,) I am considering a transfer to a school in NYC or Chicago.

My questions:

I happen to be a Japanese and a Communication major, what are good schools in that area? I've considered UIC, University of Chicago, and Loyola.

If I choose to live off campus, what are some safe yet inexpensive neighborhoods to live in?

How is the public transportation?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM

13 posts, read 49,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir33 View Post
I am a college student in MI, right now for various reasons (Change of scenery etcetera,) I am considering a transfer to a school in NYC or Chicago.

My questions:

I happen to be a Japanese and a Communication major, what are good schools in that area? I've considered UIC, University of Chicago, and Loyola.

If I choose to live off campus, what are some safe yet inexpensive neighborhoods to live in?

How is the public transportation?

Thanks in advance.
I am suprised no one has answered you on this thread. Having grown up in NYC, and currently living in Chicago, I will do my best to answer your questions. I can tell you that in addition to the 3 schools you listed for Chicago, you might also consider DePaul, Unversity of Chicago, or Northwestern. ALL are great schools located in/near the city. I imagine each exemplifies themselves in one are of study, or another. Although I cannot make a personal recommendation, I can say I know quite a few communication graduates from Northwestern, that have gone onto very successful careers.

Chicago has good public transportation, so does NYC. Chicago is going through a budget crisis with it's CTA right now.

IF you chose to live off campus in Chicago, there is plenty of off campus housing. Whatever University you chose, should be able to give you advice on housing, or put you in touch with students who are looking for roommates.

In general, I can't say you'll find "cheap" housing, as I don't know your expectations. But, in general, Chicago is cheaper than NYC.

As for culture, Chicago is as diverse as NYC, but smaller, cleaner, less expensive. All ethnic backgrounds are represented in Chicago. I guess that's assumed in NYC.

So, either way, I'm sure you will find an area and culture that suits your needs. I find that people from other parts of the world, are suprised that Chicago is as big, and diverse as NYC.

Good luck with your education! I'm sure that either city will fit your personal style, and the education you are seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago