Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM

46 posts, read 72,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
There is xsport fitness right there at 8th and state. Pretty nice one.Basketball, gym, pool, ugly cheap people, free 2 hour parking.
cheap ugly people lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
2100 S. Michigan is in the South Loop and is fine. You don't need to "watch your back" there more than anywhere else in the city.

I'm less familiar with the other location.
The other location looks to be Prairie Shores, which is also fine, and is not a high crime apartment or neighborhood by any means.

To the OP, please don't come to Chicago and get caught up in the "South Side is bad, Black people are scary" BS. All the replies you have received so far are feeding directly into that. The location on Roosevelt is fine also, but don't pick it because you're afraid.

I have no idea which apartment is best - you'll have to look at them once you get here if possible.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I would also suggest that if work location is not just United Center but also Berto Center it may be impossible to "ditch the car". Heck even when the Bulls new practice facility is built / running I would think that the fluctuating hours that typically go along with professional sports organizations would make it impractical to rely solely on public transit. Of course the other thing is that even one were to find a nice apartment walkably close to United Center it may be sort of a rule that employees will have a car...

Transit works well enough for folks with "regular" work hours but a great many of even the staunchest advocates for increasing mass transit acknowledge that personal vehicles are an important of modern life.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The other location looks to be Prairie Shores, which is also fine, and is not a high crime apartment or neighborhood by any means.

To the OP, please don't come to Chicago and get caught up in the "South Side is bad, Black people are scary" BS. All the replies you have received so far are feeding directly into that. The location on Roosevelt is fine also, but don't pick it because you're afraid.

I have no idea which apartment is best - you'll have to look at them once you get here if possible.
Are you kidding me? HA. Not even close. Only one guy has responded that way. The only reason I said to not go there is because the guy sounds like he wants to be around stuff. The area both these are in are boring. I never once said either was dangerous or even close. You need to get it out of your head that everyone on here thinks South Side is bad.

Most people on here who said to even look elsewhere for whatever reason was because the location to UC could be better, and for a 25 year old male who likes to drink, it's not an *amazing* location.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I don't think S. Michigan Avenue just east of Prairie Avenue is any more dangerous than Roosevelt and Racine, in fact I would guess if anything it is markedly less so.

Last edited by jonnynonos; 01-09-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I lived in akron for 4 years cause of school and its a bad crime area.. a lot of black people prey on the white students. I made friends with a lot of black people because I played basketball and pretty much was one of the few white guys lol. I can tell who is sketchy and who isn't. I just know more crime is on south side as opposed to north from what I read online and hear in the news.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanw343 View Post
I lived in akron for 4 years cause of school and its a bad crime area.. a lot of black people prey on the white students. I made friends with a lot of black people because I played basketball and pretty much was one of the few white guys lol. I can tell who is sketchy and who isn't. I just know more crime is on south side as opposed to north from what I read online and hear in the news.
Race has no bearing on who's sketchy or not. There's sketchy people of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

Anyway, on average about the south side? Yes, in certain areas though. There are still areas on the north side which have crime such as certain areas of Uptown, Edgewater, or Rogers Park. Is it on the same level as the bad parts of some other parts? No. There are numerous areas of the south side that are very safe though.

Actually, the West Side has areas that are just as bad. Humboldt Park and Austin are pretty damn bad and two of the worst neighborhoods of the city.

Really though the real bad neighborhoods here are centered in a few areas. Around Austin/Humboldt Park/North Lawndale/part of Garfield Park is bad. Around Englewood/West Englewood/etc is bad. Around Roseland and South Shore is bad..

Mostly stay away from those types of areas and you're fine. of course anything can happen to you anywhere in this city..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 AM

29 posts, read 120,366 times
Honestly, both locations are safe.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Probably similar safety but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour View Post
Honestly, both locations are safe.
Prairie Shores is isolated and boring. South Loop is nothing like Lincoln Park / Lakeviee or even the hipster places like Wicker Park / Bucktown / Ukranian Village , in fact arguably even West Loop is more lively, but if the only places in your budget that will accept pets are toward the fringes then you have to evaluate what the trade offs are ...

Personally the lack of even casual spots for a weekend breakfast woul bug me at Pratie Shores OTOH it might have more "pet friendly" green space nearby.

SouthLoop is gonna be much more conducive to walking in the broade Loop /Grant Park/ museum campus, as well as having nicer mix of shopping / dining / nightspots...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Prairie Shores is isolated and boring. South Loop is nothing like Lincoln Park / Lakeviee or even the hipster places like Wicker Park / Bucktown / Ukranian Village , in fact arguably even West Loop is more lively, but if the only places in your budget that will accept pets are toward the fringes then you have to evaluate what the trade offs are ...

Personally the lack of even casual spots for a weekend breakfast woul bug me at Pratie Shores OTOH it might have more "pet friendly" green space nearby.

SouthLoop is gonna be much more conducive to walking in the broade Loop /Grant Park/ museum campus, as well as having nicer mix of shopping / dining / nightspots...
Wait now im confused... you said prairie shores is in a boring area... but then you said southloop is better......

is praire shores in the southloop..... thats what mapquest says at least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago