Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM

46 posts, read 72,508 times

Advertisements

2851 S Martin Luther King Drive Chicago, IL 60616

or

2101 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60616

Those are two apartment complexes im looking at.

Im a 25 yr old white male. Potentially working for the Bulls at the United Center so Im doing my research before I accept any offers. I need a gym to workout (weights not cardio), like to go out at night to bars/clubs so that would be a plus also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Probably the Michigan Ave one, but not by a ton or anything. What are your priorities? What's your budget per month? And why these two places versus other areas?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM

These two because they accepted pets (I have a small bulldog hes 35 lbs)

and budget wise. The first six months on my job I would be under training pay not my real pay so I needed something 800 or cheaper

Location also.. I'd be working for the Bulls so these two were good location to the United Center.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM

281 posts, read 928,419 times
South Michigan is better. Neither is great. If you are going to live on the south side, watch your back.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanw343 View Post
These two because they accepted pets (I have a small bulldog hes 35 lbs)

and budget wise. The first six months on my job I would be under training pay not my real pay so I needed something 800 or cheaper

Location also.. I'd be working for the Bulls so these two were good location to the United Center.

Gotcha. So you were looking for a one bedroom. Will you have a car? It's an OK distance away from it, but I wouldn't call it amazingly good. If you will be driving, it won't be as big a deal. But remember that you don't necessarily need a car here if you don't want one.

I would also look at Pilsen area. You would probably find something in the area. Not sure about gyms and what not, but the area is certainly more interesting than the two places you noted above. Plus, it's near a train line. The two you mentioned are not really near the train. All of this will come in handy when you want to go out drinking. The 151 bus does come near the Michigan Ave place though too.

If you don't mind a roommate either, I'd look at Ukrainian Village area as well. You'd probably have better luck with your budget for that, but you never know.

P.S. Most buildings with the dog policies are OK as long as the dog is under 40 lbs.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
South Michigan is better. Neither is great. If you are going to live on the south side, watch your back.
Ah while parts of the south side can be bad thoose areas are not at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM

281 posts, read 928,419 times
I had a 80# rottweiler mix when I moved to Chicago, and I was able to find a decent place on the north side. South Michigan is gentrifying, so it is better than it was. I wouldn't live anywhere on King Drive. But then I'm 60. You'll probably be fine, but I'd look for something nicer when your income situation improves.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ah while parts of the south side can be bad thoose areas are not at all.
Yeah those areas are pretty much boring parts, but at least to the west of there is Chinatown which has good food.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM

One bedroom and yes I planned on bringing a car....

The one on south michigan I just went on apartmentratings.com and people complain about the ancient wiring and inability to get HDtv or high speed internet besides DSL.. soooo scratch that place lol

Also another side question... are there any indoor basketball places around? Would my best bet just to get a membership at one of the local college rec centers?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanw343 View Post
One bedroom and yes I planned on bringing a car....

The one on south michigan I just went on apartmentratings.com and people complain about the ancient wiring and inability to get HDtv or high speed internet besides DSL.. soooo scratch that place lol

Interesting about the car. Just realize that if you situate yourself in a good place, you'll probably find you won't be using your car. I don't know where you're coming from, but Chicago is a totally public transit oriented in a number of area. For example, the Loop has probably 300,000-400,000 people working in it everyday. Almost nobody actually drives to work there. People who drive to go drinking or out or whatever? Total minority. They all take public transit or cabs. Just a thought to consider, especially considering you seem to be on a budget.

Quote:
Also another side question... are there any indoor basketball places around? Would my best bet just to get a membership at one of the local college rec centers?
I don't know the rules of local college rec center memberships, you could check it out at UIC or something. As far as gyms go, of course. It's Chicago. If you do end up in the South Loop/Bronzeville area, then you could go to the XSPort at 818 S State, but I hear it's only okay. In the Gold Coast there's FFC which my friend plays at. If you want to go where Dwyane Wade (probably, since he lives across the river from it) and Michael Jordan go, then pay some $$ and go to the East Bank Club. Otherwise, Google it and keep an eye out for Park District courts. There might be some indoor ones. Tons of people play basketball here, remember.

There's also a bunch of basketball leagues and meetups. My friend is always in one and I used to be in one playing in Garfield Park (which is half ghetto, but the gym was alright).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago