Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,730,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
about the phrases "happens to be black" ..."
I'm right about this. I'm always right. Its like when I'm right I'm right, and when I'm wrong I could've been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong, you know? And, I'm sorry, because I could be wrong, right now. I could be wrong... right now. Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,458,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
And, by the way, it didn't help that this was the couples very first experience on the north side, after already hearing multiple rumors of how segregated and biased that part of town is.

Is this normal, for blacks on the north side?
1. I don't believe your story.

2. I suspect it's you who has a "racial" problem.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
1. I don't believe your story.

2. I suspect it's you who has a "racial" problem.

Uno. Ese es su problema

Dos. Me encanta los mexicanos

Nos vemos!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
True story: This past summer, two friends of mine, who happen to be black, walked into the Loyola University bookstore (Water Tower Campus: Baumhart Hall - 26 E. Pearson) in downtown Chicago. The guy, who was 44 years of age, was looking to purchase a Loyola t-shirt, while the woman, who was 40, was simply tagging along. After looking around briefly [approx. 2 minutes] the guy was ready to leave, so the two of them turned for the exit. Suddenly, in walks 3 uniformed officers (the first 2 were described as white males, and the last, a black male) with bullet proof vests. The first white officer looks at my male friend and says, "can we help you with something", to which my confused male friend replies, "I don't know... like, with what?" To this, the same officer replies, "I don't know... we're walking in and you're leaving, so what's up?" Now, both friends stand there, confused, not knowing if it's okay to leave, when the black cop finally chimes in, "just leave then... just go." Finally, as the two are allowed to exit [male friend chuckling, while shaking his head in disbelief] the woman says, "what's the problem? Is it because we're black?, to which none of the officers respond, as all 3 begin to question the 2 salesmen, who are behind the counter, waiting on 4-6 white customers.

Now, I don't know if this was, or could have led to, police harassment/brutality. But, what I do know is, it doesn't take 2 salesman, and three armed officers (with bullet proof vests) to help a couple of tourists, who are college graduates with no criminal backgrounds, simply looking to purchase a t-shirt. To me, that was ridiculous, and a waste of tax dollars.

And, by the way, it didn't help that this was the couples very first experience on the north side, after already hearing multiple rumors of how segregated and biased that part of town is.

Is this normal, for blacks on the north side?
You didn't like that I focused on that one little part of your post, huh? Well, I guess it's inaccurate to say I had NOTHING to say about anything else in your post. I always have SOMETHING to say.

First of all, the story is sounds like something that could potentionally happen anywhere with a substantional white population. It could even happen in Oak Park or Hyde Park. It's not that your story isn't worth telling but it begs the question of how COMON these things are.

Second of all, I didn't really understand your story and I had to read it twice.

Third of all, there's no outright racism. I'm not saying the cops weren't being racist but they weren't outright racist. It's all just suspcion and doesn't hold water (kinda like the cops in your story).

Fourth of all, your story is tame as hell. My white ass once was told that if I didn't leave a park in a predominately white neighorhood in 15 seconds, I'd be arrested. I was literally doing NOTHING except sitting there on a park bench with my bicycle pulled over smoking a cigarette. The officer was worried about why I close to relax in a public park when some elementry school event was going on nearby. I wasn't aware that Fireman's Park in Monee became private property when the schools are using the field. That's sarcasm. I was told I had to leave a PUBLIC place by an officer when I was literally doing NOTHING except minding own business and relaxing during one of my daily bike rides. He walked up to me and asked "what are you doing?" ummm.. What the hell does it look like I'm doing?

At least the people in your story weren't told they HAD to leave or be arrested.

I think it's safe to say that if I were black, I'd have pleanty of stories about the Monee police department and how racist they've been to me. But I'm not black and that's just how they act towards young males they deem suspicious, lol

Last edited by urza216; 01-15-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
My white ass once was told that if I didn't leave a park in a predominately white neighorhood in 15 seconds, I'd be arrested.
First of all, I see where you're going and I agree with you, wholeheartedly. White brothas get harassed, just like blacks, and that needs to be addressed. I get that, urza. But, tell me... at what point did you feel the harassment was due to the color of your skin? You see where I'm going? In there lies the problem. What happened to my friends wasn't racism, but may have been viewed as racial profiling. Unfortunately, most white brothas never get the chance to experience that. :rolls third eye:

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcruiseisyourmom View Post
Well, why were you hanging out there? Police are trained to look for certain things. Maybe you were just being unintentionally creepy. Also, maybe that cop would have been even worse if you weren't right.
You are right. But it's still illegal to arrest someone on no grounds other than being creepy.

I was sitting on a park bench smoking a cigarette. I had my bicycle pulled over next me. Clearly my cigarette-smoking self and been exercising and I was now relaxing, lol.

Firemans park is really the only good place in Monee TO relax if you have been riding your bicycle around town.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM

140 posts, read 181,377 times
Sorry that happen to you urza. It's nice how a white male can of even go to a park without being harassed, but yet the Jews and Muslim hate groups are out running rampant.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,876,766 times
Suit filed after police shoot and kill man | WGN-TV

Interesting article about racism in cpd. Kind of sad they threw around racial slurs. I know too many complain about the same issue.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,530,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
Sorry that happen to you urza. It's nice how a white male can of even go to a park without being harassed, but yet the Jews and Muslim hate groups are out running rampant.

You sound like a little girl. Do me a favor and take your act to the streets so someone can put you out of your misery.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM

263 posts, read 563,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Suit filed after police shoot and kill man | WGN-TV

Interesting article about racism in cpd. Kind of sad they threw around racial slurs. I know too many complain about the same issue.
Let's see what comes of it in court. "The lawsuit claims some officers repeatedly used the n-word when talking to Moore’s relatives at the scene."

Remember, anyone can sue for just about anything and claim just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago