Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 PM

304 posts, read 364,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
A part of me gets really irritated with those idiots, but a part of me is thankful for the role they play in keeping our COL relatively affordable.
I couldn't agree more 100%, I came here from NYC dude and you know what? I'm 27 and I'm not trying to "limit" what I'll achieve in my life, and yeah it hurts a young guys ego but looking back on it, I don't know how the f**k we ever justified affording it? Even the parts of NJ and Jersey City we lived in.

Tell those people to take a trip to the East Coast and visit the amount of slums there twice as dirty and congested that have Lincoln Park prices. I will say one thing though, the bad areas in Chicago are actually abandoned and semi-dangerous. There's something romantic about living in Brownsville, Brooklyn until you make it in Manhattan. Nobody comes here with that same mentality. The slums are left for dead here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:00 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
The slums are left for dead here.
Been saying this for years! How do you let such usable neighborhoods just go to hell and not care. Sometimes, I feel like Chicago has to much space to care about every area. We're talking good housing stock and parks galore!

Old 05-23-2015, 02:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shark View Post
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could give me some insight on what neighborhood I may have been in during the time of my experience. My mother and I had visited Chicago for a day trip (visiting friends in Gary and staying there), and found ourselves fairly lost in the South side at night trying to get back. It was about midnight, and we were driving through a seemingly rough area - run down, little activity with the exception of groups of guy randomly in the middle of the street and on street corners. I was about 10 years old at the time, and it made us both very uneasy; it was my first real run-in with a rough neighborhood in my life, and it has stuck with me since. But anyway, we were grabbing gas (very sketchy proposition at that time of day, I know) and this group of males stopped us in our car questioning us about why were in the area. After about 10 minutes, they let us go, leaving us pretty shaken up - it was not exactly a friendly encounter. I remember we were just east of I-94, between the highway and Michigan Avenue way down on the South side. Unfortunately those are the only specifics I can really remember, but I've wondered where we were ever since.
Hmm, probably Greater Grand Crossing? There is a gas station at Marquette and the Dan Ryan -- https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7728...hg!2e0!6m1!1e1 Look familiar? Greater Grand Crossing -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

Old 05-23-2015, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 13,553 times
chet everett,

Nope I don't think so, I remember where we were being a significantly more urban area, more city-esque if you will. I think we may have been either one block or two off of Michigan Avenue, but not any further from what I can remember. I think if you looked up to the west, I-94 was visible and overhead a bit it seemed (bridge possibly).

Old 05-23-2015, 04:28 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hmm, probably Greater Grand Crossing? There is a gas station at Marquette and the Dan Ryan -- https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7728...hg!2e0!6m1!1e1 Look familiar? Greater Grand Crossing -- Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com
if that guy was 10 years old, he could have been over by the projects ,, lots have changed. depends when he was 10 years old.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:35 PM

ChicagoMeO,

I'm 21 years old now, we had made the trip down in 2004 - I remember this because my mom had just gotten her new car (Pontiac Aztec, maybe we should've offered it to them afterall but hindsight is 20/20). Probably didn't help things though as far as sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm sure a lot could have changed as that's a long time ago.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:39 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shark View Post
Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could give me some insight on what neighborhood I may have been in during the time of my experience. My mother and I had visited Chicago for a day trip (visiting friends in Gary and staying there), and found ourselves fairly lost in the South side at night trying to get back. It was about midnight, and we were driving through a seemingly rough area - run down, little activity with the exception of groups of guy randomly in the middle of the street and on street corners. I was about 10 years old at the time, and it made us both very uneasy; it was my first real run-in with a rough neighborhood in my life, and it has stuck with me since. But anyway, we were grabbing gas (very sketchy proposition at that time of day, I know) and this group of males stopped us in our car questioning us about why were in the area. After about 10 minutes, they let us go, leaving us pretty shaken up - it was not exactly a friendly encounter. I remember we were just east of I-94, between the highway and Michigan Avenue way down on the South side. Unfortunately those are the only specifics I can really remember, but I've wondered where we were ever since.
Are you saying you were held against your will? Did you guys make a police report? Gary was pretty bad 10 years ago as well, but you felt safer there?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Lakeview
Don't be ridiculous.

The guy was obviously in River North.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Runuova,

We didn't file a police report, we were more worried about getting the hell out of dodge since we needed to get back to our friend's place, not to mention it was scary. But we actually were in a nice section of Gary and didn't feel unsafe, but the surrounding area wasn't a place you wanted to frequent at night

Old 05-23-2015, 09:43 PM

I found a map of neighborhoods and narrowed down the area it seems we were. It appears it was likely the east end of Englewood where it borders Washington Park, or the border of the Robert Taylor Homes and Bronzeville. From what I've read by others on this site and others, those all seem like very rough areas, especially Englewood of course. Although I don't know much about the past/present reputation of Bronzeville from 11 years ago to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago