Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times

Advertisements

Worst area that I have been to is the West Side. Lots of murders over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM

45 posts, read 76,566 times
Back in the day (80s) I was visiting some friends at the University of Chicago when I decided to take a stroll . . . southbound . . . first I crossed the Midway. No problem. Then I crossed 61st into Woodlawn and immediately, the locals had a very serious problem with my appearance. Stones flew in my direction, and I headed back north across the invisible line that then separated Hyde Park from Woodlawn. I wonder how much things have changed there since then.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,123,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenJoe View Post
Back in the day (80s) I was visiting some friends at the University of Chicago when I decided to take a stroll . . . southbound . . . first I crossed the Midway. No problem. Then I crossed 61st into Woodlawn and immediately, the locals had a very serious problem with my appearance. Stones flew in my direction, and I headed back north across the invisible line that then separated Hyde Park from Woodlawn. I wonder how much things have changed there since then.
Back in the seventies I walked all over south of 61st street. Then, in the last five years, I rode my bike allover the area south of the university. I got the same reception.

In 1977, while waiting for the bus at 55th and California, a group of youths in a car addressed me outside of my name, insulting me thoroughly. I've been to Winnetka, where Laurie Dann ran amok and to Kenilworth, where Chuck Percy's daughter was killed in her bed.

Sometimes the worst place a person can go is within the confines of his or her own mind.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM

113 posts, read 144,264 times
Moo & Oink in 3 or 4 locations. They love white people.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 PM

410 posts, read 488,369 times
Heading west on Roosevelt away from UIC Medical District. That was straight out of select camera shots you'd find in documentaries about ghettos and cities.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Must we engage in cyber-slumming? If you have not spent time in the area you really don't know how bad it is or not.

Why not ask what is the worst area you have lived in in Chicago? That at least would provide some first-hand, empirical descriptions of the locales.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Must we engage in cyber-slumming? If you have not spent time in the area you really don't know how bad it is or not.

Why not ask what is the worst area you have lived in in Chicago? That at least would provide some first-hand, empirical descriptions of the locales.
Wow, you haven't been chased out of an area yet? I walked across the city of Houston with just one guy coming up asking if I wanted to buy weed. I couldn't walk 100 yards in Chicago without shouts of white boy and threats of aggression. I rented a place in Blue Island - all the lights of the surrounding houses were blacked out and they were shouting around to each others houses about me. I had a .357 magnum next to me and slept with it for a month. Kiss my -ss. Is that better?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 PM

867 posts, read 1,364,333 times
I once worked as an usher for the Shubert theater and was placed at the front door as a ticket taker. It became a game between my fellow coworkers as to which wealthy white folks would avoid trying to touch our hands to give us their tickets. The disgust on their faces when I would grab their hand as I passed the ticket back was priceless.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 PM

I worked at a grocery store and the black women always gave me a hard time and made me double bag their groceries. I used to hate it.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagohunter View Post
Wow, you haven't been chased out of an area yet?
Actually, yes. Three different cities, in fact.

So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagohunter View Post
I worked at a grocery store and the black women always gave me a hard time and made me double bag their groceries. I used to hate it.
I remember going to the UofC library and the black ID checkers would give me the hardest way to go. As a black man, I kinda resented this.

So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago