U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,306,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude.1984 View Post
Years ago, I went to go pick up a "winter beater car" for friend in the Crestwood area

One time was enough for this northside guy lol

You were probably in Robbins, next door to Crestwood, which is run down and one of the poorest towns in the country. I've never felt unsafe driving through, though.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...!4d-87.7036602

Crestwood is fine, generally. Maybe there's an apartment complex there or something that isn't kept up.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...!4d-87.7525511
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 AM

5,319 posts, read 3,830,426 times
Neighborhoods like West Garfield Park and Englewood are a given. The suburbs closest to the city on the South Side are pretty terrible. They have all of the negatives of city living (parking issues, no yard, living right beside someone) and all of the negatives of living in the suburbs. Worst of all, the houses are older and not kept up very well and the strip centers look like they died a long time ago.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,292,905 times
Yep.. I used to take Cicero from South to North regularly in the 90s. Western too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Cicero and Huron back in the late 1990's.
Holy Mother of God.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:46 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,292,905 times
Oh Robbins.....seriously one of the worst places I have ever been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
You were probably in Robbins, next door to Crestwood, which is run down and one of the poorest towns in the country. I've never felt unsafe driving through, though.

Crestwood is fine, generally. Maybe there's an apartment complex there or something that isn't kept up.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:45 PM

94 posts, read 40,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post

Ya that's possible ??? This was back in 2009 and my memory is a little foggy, I do remember the area I was in was VERY VERY run down, HORRIFIC roads and lots of abandoned property. Reminds me of ghettos I saw in Dallas years ago lol

Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 PM

458 posts, read 274,117 times
Fuller Park is an absolute **** hole, but Wrigleyville is up there too - really hate those crowds.

I've never had bad experiences on the West Side - but I'm pretty much only there between 8am and 8pm, besides a few of the parks (Garfield and Columbus) where they are generally uninhabited.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,306,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude.1984 View Post
Ya that's possible ??? This was back in 2009 and my memory is a little foggy, I do remember the area I was in was VERY VERY run down, HORRIFIC roads and lots of abandoned property. Reminds me of ghettos I saw in Dallas years ago lol
Yeah that’s definitely not Crestwood.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:07 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,017,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Even if you go to the very worst neighbourhoods, the chances of anything happening are slim. There are hundreds of youtube videos of rich white kids going into ghettos to prank the locals in ghettos, going up to groups and taunting them, pretending to steal their phones, sometimes even slapping them, and the most that happens is they get beaten up.

You are at higher risk than neighbourhoods on the north side, but people have this idea that as soon as they enter a bad area they're going to get mugged/raped/murdered, based on zero real world experience, which is just not the case the vast majority of the time.
99% of Youtube prank videos are staged and are actors so I wouldn't suggest you try this in real life.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:18 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,017,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Must we engage in cyber-slumming? If you have not spent time in the area you really don't know how bad it is or not.

Why not ask what is the worst area you have lived in in Chicago? That at least would provide some first-hand, empirical descriptions of the locales.
Yeah it's always funny to me when these threads come up, in the Chicago Suburbs thread every few months someone will post something to the effect of hey let's all talk about what a $hithole Robbins or Harvey is, really no purpose behind the thread except to trash a particular area we already know has issues.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,543,788 times
Summer of 1968, corner of Van Buren and Crawford. I worked as a helper on a Tribune delivery truck, helping a driver who came from Taylor St. with the unlikely name of Jimmy Walsh. While stopped at the corner we were attacked by a bunch of gousters, they came at us at both doors, which were wide open of course. I got a black eye but we fought them off long enough for traffic on Crawford to clear for us to beat feet. I got one guy real good though, labeled him in the face with an iron bar.

Ahh, to be young again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago