Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Granite and stainless are overrated, IMO.
I find it humorous how many people care so much about their kitchen having the flavor-of-the-month (or decade) appliance color. I mean, if I needed a new countertop or fridge, and was shelling out the money anyway, I'd probably go ahead and get something in the latest style, but it's a funny thing to use as a major criterion in selecting a residence, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Here's an interesting quote I found in Time Out's "This Week in Chicago" column (where they feature their "person of the week"):

A lot of people think that Chicagoans are somewhat more laid-back than New York people. Well, I lived in New York and I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Everyone’s cold and angry. ---Stefan Batista

Full interview:

Stefan Batista, 24 - This week in Chicago - Time Out Chicago

I somewhat agree with his remark.
I would imagine that a guy who thinks it's a good idea to throw a snowball at a stranger encounters angry people everywhere he goes.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
Does rent control account for the rise in property taxes?
In New York, it can be anything such as work done to a building or apartment (kitchen renovations, putting in a new bathroom) that increases to the value to the natural increase in land value. I am not sure if rent control accounts for property taxes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I would imagine that a guy who thinks it's a good idea to throw a snowball at a stranger encounters angry people everywhere he goes.
+1

Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Quote:
Granite and stainless are overrated, IMO. I have neither, yet my kitchen is as nice and functional as it needs to be. That's mere fashion, not some fantastic new invention that makes life so much easier. It's such a minor issue. I'm sure most of those New Yorkers living in rent-controlled apartments would rather make do with used appliances and old laminate than pay sky-high rents.

(Not that I'm pro-rent control, understand. I'm not. I don't agree with too much tampering with free markets and property rights.)
I agree but who cares. That wasn't my point. Pick any so called "upgrade" you like for apartment renovations. I just found it interesting how the landlords are trying to drive people out by not repairing\renovating the rent controlled homes to the same standards as the non-rent controlled ones. Again, can't say I agree or disagree with it.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I agree but who cares. That wasn't my point. Pick any so called "upgrade" you like for apartment renovations. I just found it interesting how the landlords are trying to drive people out by not repairing\renovating the rent controlled homes to the same standards as the non-rent controlled ones. Again, can't say I agree or disagree with it.
My thought is: Why should the landlords spend a ton of money on totally unnecessary upgrades when, due to rent control, they can't get a decent return on their investment in such?

And why would not renovating the rent-controlled apartments to the same high standard as non-rent-controlled ones "drive people out"? As long as things are functional and still work. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
i have two questions - (since I watch Selling New York) -

1. Why do they purchase an "apartment" , in chicago, they call these "condos".. is that different or the same thing with just a different name?

2. In Manhattan, there were people purchasing an apartment and they had a monthly fee (I forget the name) but they had to pay a monthly cost because even though they purchased the apartment, the land was not purchased and now they have to pay what is akin to a rent. So on a $1,225 million dollar apartment (718 square feet), they also had a monthly payment of $3,000 TOO. In Chicago, some condo owners pay an HOA fee which maybe $100 - $400 even for expensive downtown condos, but that is for maintenance and upkeep.

Can you explain this to me? Thank you.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

1. Why do they purchase an "apartment" , in chicago, they call these "condos".. is that different or the same thing with just a different name?

2. In Manhattan, there were people purchasing an apartment and they had a monthly fee (I forget the name) but they had to pay a monthly cost because even though they purchased the apartment, the land was not purchased and now they have to pay what is akin to a rent. So on a $1,225 million dollar apartment (718 square feet), they also had a monthly payment of $3,000 TOO. In Chicago, some condo owners pay an HOA fee which maybe $100 - $400 even for expensive downtown condos, but that is for maintenance and upkeep.

For sale apartment unit = condo/coop unit

I would assume whatever monthly fee is being paid in NYC is a HOA fee like in Chicago.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:

1. In NYC people refer to their dwelling as an apartment regardless of own or rent.

2. Maintanance fees? Similar to HOA fees

Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:

2. It is a monthly maintenance fee. It is higher on co-ops especially if the building has a large mortgage that it has to pay off or it has a large staff that it has to pay. The maintenance can also include all utilities in some units. If the building needs to fix something (new roof or facade for example) the co-op board can add an assessment on top of the monthly maintenance to pay for the issue.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Just like here....someone making $40,000/year isn't going to be able to live in River North, Streeterville, or most of the Gold Coast (except a few buildings). Translate that to a much broader area. Of course people in NYC make all sorts of money. The difference is that they don't live in Manhattan or other desirable areas when they make under the average except in **** circumstances. Sad but true.

Chicago overall is a better deal. Don't get me wrong, NYC is an amazing city, but I feel like it's fairly romanticized in a number of ways. The reality of it is that if you want to live like certain people you've seen on TV shows or movies there, you have to pay up a little. There are definite ways of living that great life, but let's be honest, unless you're making over 6 figures or you're rich already, you probably won't be living a comfortable live in the East Village anytime soon.

My mom is originally from NYC and most of that side is too. My dad's side is from LA, but both of my grandparents and their families are from NYC (before that of course..Europe). My dad is first generation Non-Europe/NYC. I used to want to live badly there, but after coming down to earth and family members talking to me, I'm glad I didn't move there honestly..great for visits of course and family history ****.

Same here.

I will be leaving NY soon for the 312.

Chicago is by far the best city in the country.

Spent enough time in NYC. More than enough. So many people are caught up in the romanticized version of it. Its really mind-boggling what people will do just to live somewhere. They will honestly sacrifice a quality of life for living in a shoebox and getting ripped off to have 'the best.' It gets old real quick, trust me.

Frankly, I find anyone who calls it the greatest city on Earth who hasnt really left it or traveled around the world, to be incredibly naive. They think its all there is to see because of tv or movies.

Cant anyone decide for themselves anymore? Ive been to a lot of places. I used to think NYC was great, then I traveled more... and well...

Last edited by Heyooooo; 01-25-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago