Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 AM

140 posts, read 181,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPage Co View Post
Affirmative action plays a role.
If we had sensible immigration laws, and common sense separation, there would be less contact and far less conflict. Especially at the college level. We would have standard diplomatic and cultural ties, not impossible integration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
As someone who is a grad student in the social sciences and knows a lot about programs in the social sciences and the humanities in the Chicago area, I can tell you that DePaul is a fine school with a lot of great programs. It has a huge undergrad base, and I imagine that its undergrad admissions standards are less strict than U of C (my school) or Northwestern, but DePaul, big-picture wise, is a prestigious name. They're well-worth investigating if you're hoping to study in Chicago (along with plenty of other schools in Chicago), whatever you're hoping to study.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,031,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Instead of questioning admission standards, you should be investigating the reputation of those who graduate. Even if they let everyone into the program, if everyone who actually finishes the program is well-respected, knows their stuff and considered their time there worthwhile, then that would be far more important than competitive entrance. Unless you're someone who mistakes prestige for education.
That's why I asked the question in this forum. I have not lived in Chicago very long, so I am not familiar with the reputation.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,031,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Masters might not require a GRE score, but I bet they still might "encourage" it and it might have to do with the second article you pasted. Although it's not ACT or SAT, it's possible for certain degree programs they extended it to some other smaller-scale tests. PhD program still absolutely requires it.

You are the original poster of this. Instead of attack a degree program, why not do more research? Things are not always what they seem and require more research.
Because, I really don't care that much. I wanted to hear opinions of people more familiar with the school and reputation.

I simply noticed an abundance of commercials, googled the school, and looked at the admission requirements. I have never seen admission requirements that low for a computer science program, especially when no prior knowledge is required. Thus, made me go hmmmmmmmmm.

So maybe DePaul's plan is to accept most everyone, get the tuition money until those who can't hack it either fail or quit.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
I see / hear lots of different advertisements for lots of different products / services. In general advertising is designed to "build interest" and "contrast the competition". The competition for education is currently much out of whack becuase of the widespread lack of sanity when it comes to "student loans" that keep things spinning...

The fact is one can "earn" a master's degree from a "for profit" type school that is utterly worthless or one can earn one from a respected program that, depending on one's career goals, is easily worth the time & money.

Admissions standards tht may be published are often far different than the reality of how classes are constructed. UofC has a Masters degree for computer science with published admissions standards that are very similar to those of DePaul but since it is "cadre" type program where each class is expected to work together the kind of students that are accepted tend to be bright people with often no / minimal background in CS but career goals that are achievable with a "terminal" masters degree and the interviews tend to get groups focused. In similar way DePaul's published standards are definately not the only criteria and the quality of grads from DePaul can be seen by the dominance they have in many of the region's respected firms...

Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM

3,872 posts, read 6,776,587 times
I have been pre-approved into DePaul's graduate program by only showing my transcript that proved I had above a 2.5gpa in undergrad. I can attest that the OP is 100% correct in saying that all you need is a 2.5 or higher, at least for the College of Digital Media.

However, Depaul is expensive and it would cost me around $40K (possibly more) to get my graduate degree. So the cost alone probably weeds out anyone who isn't truly interested.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
^ Yes, but as a graduate program at a respected university (as DePaul is), you will still run into courses designed to weed out. I would be willing to bet this is the case and makes up for them not asking you about your GRE or anything.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Because, I really don't care that much. I wanted to hear opinions of people more familiar with the school and reputation.
Since you seem unwilling to accept their opinions, what's the point?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM

3,872 posts, read 6,776,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Yes, but as a graduate program at a respected university (as DePaul is), you will still run into courses designed to weed out. I would be willing to bet this is the case and makes up for them not asking you about your GRE or anything.
I am sure that is true as well. I didn't mean to imply that the program wasn't good or hard. I was just saying that there are really no pre-reqs. I am thinking of starting in March so I am definitely confident that its a wonderful degree to have.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I am sure that is true as well. I didn't mean to imply that the program wasn't good or hard. I was just saying that there are really no pre-reqs. I am thinking of starting in March so I am definitely confident that its a wonderful degree to have.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Just for the OP...these things work on weed out too even into MS. If it was a smaller, newer, lesser known college, i bet you wouldn't find the weed out as much if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago