Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 9,854 times

Advertisements

I am considering renting an apartment near Western and Diversey in Logan Square. I need to take the highway to get to work and the location is very convenient. When I viewed the apartment this past weekend, I didn't get a feel of any threat for my safety, but figured I would come to this forum and see if I could get thoughts from others that have lived in this area.

I lived in some pretty rough parts of St. Louis which helped me develop some "street smarts," but can someone give my an idea of what, if any, issues I could anticipate living in this neighborhood? There appears to be a few nightlife options within walking distance of my place, but not too much (although there seems to be plenty of traffic which, in my experiences, is generally a good thing). As a 26 year old male, would I be safe walking by myself at night (with a dog, this is pretty much a guarantee)?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM

140 posts, read 183,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheChi View Post
I am considering renting an apartment near Western and Diversey in Logan Square. I need to take the highway to get to work and the location is very convenient. When I viewed the apartment this past weekend, I didn't get a feel of any threat for my safety, but figured I would come to this forum and see if I could get thoughts from others that have lived in this area.

I lived in some pretty rough parts of St. Louis which helped me develop some "street smarts," but can someone give my an idea of what, if any, issues I could anticipate living in this neighborhood? There appears to be a few nightlife options within walking distance of my place, but not too much (although there seems to be plenty of traffic which, in my experiences, is generally a good thing). As a 26 year old male, would I be safe walking by myself at night (with a dog, this is pretty much a guarantee)?

Any thoughts?
The area is ok. It's not bad but not the best either. Mostly white with minoirties who shouldn't be there; which determines how nice of an area it is.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,315,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
The area is ok. It's not bad but not the best either. Mostly white with minoirties who shouldn't be there; which determines how nice of an area it is.
Dude get lost.with minorities who shouldn't be there?

To answer the question the area is perfectly fine. But the area around diversey and western can get congested. If it were me I would move closer to Logan blvd and just west of the expressway.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Also OP what direction do you head on the expressway?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM

I will be heading west.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Avondale is a good area too attached to the expressway and cheaper. It's also very up and coming.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM

140 posts, read 183,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheChi View Post
I will be heading west.
Since you are heading west, I would encourage you to look at Jefferson Park. For the suburbs you have the choices of Harwood Height and Norridge. Both are very nice towns.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
What are you looking for in a neighborhood? While Jefferson Park, Harwood Heights, and Norridge are nice places, I would not recommend it to anybody in their 20s unless they either have a family or are looking for a more suburban environment.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What are you looking for in a neighborhood? While Jefferson Park, Harwood Heights, and Norridge are nice places, I would not recommend it to anybody in their 20s unless they either have a family or are looking for a more suburban environment.
Or suicidal. Haha Jk.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Nightlife is a plus (not necessarily within walking distance, but within a short bus trip). Proximity to downtown is also nice. I like the place I am considering and I am most concerned with being able to walk my dog at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago