Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,049,066 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is from Sydney and has lived here for 2.5 years. She loves it and doesn't want to go back.

If you can handle the winters here it could be a good move. If you have any specific Sydney vs Chicago questions I can probably answer them to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM

672 posts, read 750,967 times
Thanks guys-- this is really helpful stuff!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
As for smaller venues, the city is packed with smaller theaters and improv type stuff. I don't think it would be hard to get tix for those.
Encouraging

Quote:
There are water costs which are directly related to your water usage. There are general utilities. When you are looking for a house/condo you have to do an inspection which can run roughly from 300-800 depending upon the size and style of your house/condo. There is also an appraisal which can run anywhere from 400-600 (usually). In general, I think you are going to find things to be cheaper as it seems like the Australian Dollar is pretty strong and I've heard and read that Sydney is quite expensive.
Great -- seems some things are truly international, like property taxes!

Quote:
I have taught in the past and can tell you that no matter the district it always helpd to know someone. Since you don't, I would sub and get to know the different schools of the district and to get yourself known.
I had thought of this. It's a little like scoring teaching work in Sydney. The main impediment is the E3 visa conditions, which are pretty specific. If my wife can gets visa (likely) then it frees me up, but I like to plan for worst-case.

Quote:
And welcome to Illinois if you decide to follow through.
This is one of the things I loved about Chicago. Americans think they're rude... sheesh

Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Thanks guys-- this is really helpful stuff!
No problem. In the end it depends on what you want and everything. Keep in mind too that since you're a HS teacher, if the CPS hires you, you are required to actually live within the city.

NYC is a great city, don't get me wrong. Chicago though is like a smaller scale version of NYC, with some Boston, DC, Detroit, etc mixed in with it. Much cheaper and less stressful. You can easily live with less here. I have friends who make around $40,000/year and still live in Lakeview, one of the most desirable neighborhoods, right near tons of nightlife, entertainment, shops, and food. It's maybe 3 miles from the downtown areas like River North, Loop, etc. Quick ride on the train.

The funny thing about Chicago and housing is that in some of these neighborhoods, there's some really great, modern, extremely nice housing. Check this out. It's in Logan Square/Bucktown pretty close to the CBD and right near a major train (can also take you right to O'Hare Intl Airport):

1954 N Wilmot Ave # 1 Chicago IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #08171248 - Realtor.com®

Chicago is a great deal, but if you choose NYC, I wouldn't blame you either. Both are great, great cities. Come in a warmer month, especially summer here and you'll see what I meant in my previous (big) post.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Well my first thought. having just shoveled my driveway of a out of 5cm of snow that fell overnight and warming back up to room temp from an air temp of about -8c is -- YOU ARE NUTS -- go to beach!
Funny you should say that -- it's 88 degrees F outside with 70% humidity and I can't stand it. Sydney summers are *relentless*.

Quote:
If wife's income from veterinary surgery is six figures US that might allow you to have lifestyle a little less confined than in Sydney but our social programs are not exactly stellar and you will have to figure out the whom messy tax / immigration / work status thing ...
That's a good point. I've looked into the visa situation, and fortunately, it's a little easier for Aussies. Thanks, Free Trade Agreement!

Quote:
The various private schools would almost certainly be much easier route to pursue. If you also coach soccer or swimming of similar sport it is not unreasonable to expect about $40000 US/ yr. using wife make 3x that (which may or may not be possible for vetinary as I know it is very competitive field with many grads from all parts of country eager to enter small animal practices in region as Chicago pet owners are generally well off...) that is far above median household earnings...
Yeah, I'd be taking a large pay in America cut no matter which school I wind up in -- I was a head of department here, which in a private school is about $96K. Fortunately, my wife has six years of experience and a membership, so things mightn't be too bad.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Funny you should say that -- it's 88 degrees F outside with 70% humidity and I can't stand it. Sydney summers are *relentless*.
That's not something you'll never see in Chicago in the summers. Chicago is more humid than Sydney year round on average actually. Chicago is actually on average warmer than Sydney in the summer months. The only difference is you guys have it good year round. We have winters, spring, and fall.. If it was 60 degrees F here in the winter, I'd say most of us would be ecstatic.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default HA! The discrepencies are ENORMOUS!!!

Quote:
...Yeah, I'd be taking a large pay in America cut no matter which school I wind up in -- I was a head of department here, which in a private school is about $96K. Fortunately, my wife has six years of experience and a membership, so things mightn't be too bad.
In most private schools in the region the "distinction" of being a "Department Head" means MAYBE you have one less section of students. Of course that is almost certainly completely offset by being required to do all the handholding / phone answering / paperwork required to let the parent's know they are getting thier money's worth ...

Honestly even in thhe best paying suburban districts it is rare for Dept Head's to get more than a token monetary bonus ...

Of course as I alluded to the way that MOST society building things in the US are funded is all messed up, and while I know that plenty of Aussie's gripe about about how austere things may seem compared to NZ or Euro zone nations you really would have to look hard to find someplace worse for a teacher to move than Chicago...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM

My coworker's wife works for a very nice suburban HS as a teacher. Let's just say, I'm utterly shocked at how much the teachers in this district get paid. I should become a teacher..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM

211 posts, read 392,926 times
Default Chicago is a bad choice

Don't do it. This is a big country. Chicago is not a place you want live. I was born here. I KNOW !

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
If you live and work in the city, it is easy to not need a car.
A buddy of mine lives in Lakeview and teaches at Morgan Park HS. He needs a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago