Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM

359 posts, read 545,899 times

Advertisements

Interestingly enough, A LOT of people think that city-data is a front for realtors. Go to the UrbanDictionary website, there is a hilarious entry there about CD. I wont post the link, because the Mods probably wont be happy about it. But look it up, I literally belly-laughed when I read it.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,994,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoblues View Post
OK so I'm a troll? No troll would let this conversation go but that's what I'm going to do as it's getting boring. Like I wrote: If you're from either coast, if you like the in your face humanity of the east coast or the laid back unpretentious west coast you will probably not like it very much here. I don't really mind the fact the headhunter that I worked with and the RE agent he hooked me up with were full of **** but here's the thing, I expected that.

I stayed here for a week to scout the town out before I moved here and not one person, not one frigging person I met or spoke with had one bad thing to say about Chicago. Still true to this day. It must be great if EVERYONE is head over heels in love with the place, right? Yes, I am in Advertising, I understand this sort of self hypnosis, I steer clear of people who exhibit it generally but I missed the boat this time.

Before I moved to NYC I asked a lot of people both in and around the city what they thought and more than 1/2 warned me off or at least gave me their honest opinion. Same goes for Seattle. Most of what I was told face to face turned out to be true but it didn't matter because those places actually have a reason to exist instead of just a dwindling population and a hilarious self esteem issue. Mega troll posters: Please, stay here in Chicago, this is where you belong. Everyone else watch out, you've been warned.
I wouldn't call you a troll, I would say it sounds like you moved to a city that wasn't right for you and that happens. Also I have never thought of Chicago to be a big advertising city, but I don't know much about the advertising industry and where it is and isn't big.

Obviously there is 11 pages that disagrees with you, which is to be expected, you are posting about how much you hated your time in Chicago on a Chicago forum.

I hope you find a city that is a better fit for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 PM

778 posts, read 992,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I was in NYC recently, and Midtown certainly was NOT dead lol. The area I was in was teeming with people & very crowded. Downtown (ie. Wall Street area) on the other hand is dead at night.

Once again, im not being literal.

If you actually know what Midtown is like when its busy, then youd know Midtown when its dead.

Just to remind you what Midtown actually is.

For busy Midtown standards, yes, after 11-4am, Midtown AS A WHOLE isnt bustling whatsoever.

Its not a nightlife area either. Mostly people that work late, people traveling to/from hotels/late flights in, garbage men, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoblues View Post
OK so I'm a troll? No troll would let this conversation go but that's what I'm going to do as it's getting boring. Like I wrote: If you're from either coast, if you like the in your face humanity of the east coast or the laid back unpretentious west coast you will probably not like it very much here. I don't really mind the fact the headhunter that I worked with and the RE agent he hooked me up with were full of **** but here's the thing, I expected that.

I stayed here for a week to scout the town out before I moved here and not one person, not one frigging person I met or spoke with had one bad thing to say about Chicago. Still true to this day. It must be great if EVERYONE is head over heels in love with the place, right? Yes, I am in Advertising, I understand this sort of self hypnosis, I steer clear of people who exhibit it generally but I missed the boat this time.

Before I moved to NYC I asked a lot of people both in and around the city what they thought and more than 1/2 warned me off or at least gave me their honest opinion. Same goes for Seattle. Most of what I was told face to face turned out to be true but it didn't matter because those places actually have a reason to exist instead of just a dwindling population and a hilarious self esteem issue. Mega troll posters: Please, stay here in Chicago, this is where you belong. Everyone else watch out, you've been warned.

Its not just Chicagoans, but its other people that rave about it, and for good reason.

If I found a world class city that offers everything NYC does (the city that sets the standard in this country), for an incredibly affordable price? You bet your ****ing ass im gonna rave about it.

They have every right to boast about their city. They know where it stands.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM

You dont rave about a deal or discount you got shopping? Thats essentially what Chicago is as a city. Best bang for the buck, no question.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 34,994,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
You dont rave about a deal or discount you got shopping? Thats essentially what Chicago is as a city. Best bang for the buck, no question.
Actually that is a good way to look at it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,384,752 times
I see the point you're trying to make. However, I think Times Square always seems to have some sort of activity (even if it's mostly tourists), and I guess your definition of Midtown barely includes the northern part of Chelsea. If we were to factor in Chelsea & the Meatpacking District, then we'd be throwing in two pretty active nightlife areas into the Midtown definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Once again, im not being literal.

If you actually know what Midtown is like when its busy, then youd know Midtown when its dead.

Just to remind you what Midtown actually is.

For busy Midtown standards, yes, after 11-4am, Midtown AS A WHOLE isnt bustling whatsoever.

Its not a nightlife area either. Mostly people that work late, people traveling to/from hotels/late flights in, garbage men, etc.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,491,880 times
The one thing from the OP that I can agree about is the nightlife and the night traffic. It isn't what I thought it would be, but at the same time, I agree with the person that said the nightlife is kinda spread out. I've just never seen a ton of people out at night on the streets in one area. Nothing wrong with that (and I'm sure most cities outside of NYC, LV, and New Orleans are like this).

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM

422 posts, read 807,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
This isn't true. The Census showed a 10% population loss.
False, it was a 6.9% loss and that is very easy to look up, and that is not about me saying it is good or being defensive, just stating a fact. Also don't try the "well 6.9% is close to 10%" BS because that is taking rounding way too far, 7% is fine but if rounding up to 10% is acceptable then why isn't rounding down to 5% the same? In fact 5 is closer to 7 than 10. I am wiling to bet the pessimists would be chomping at the bit to correct me if I said 5%.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,559,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I disagree with three main points. I don't think the drivers are that bad, and I don't think rents are too high. And the food is usually pretty good.

But I very generally agree with the theme that Chicago is kind of an insular type of place, where, in the good parts, most folks are from the Midwest, went to some frat-friendly public university, and moved to Lincoln Park or wherever after graduation and talk about sports and beer, mostly.

And the bad areas are really, really bad. It's tough to find an area that isn't crappy or frat-infested, and if you want a cosmopolitan, worldly feel, you're probably in the wrong city.

Now, granted, it seems that most people like the "Big 10, Sigma Nu, let's talk Bears" type of vibe, so it's fine for them. But if you have other interests, might as well move to the East or West coast. Move to Brooklyn or San Francisco, and you'll find a different vibe. Not necessarily better, but different.

It would be really easy to get this impression if you spent all your time in the ctrl-v neighborhoods mentioned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago