Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 AM

344 posts, read 837,760 times

Advertisements

ok
in short
i am from philly
am temporarily in Indianapolis for a year now...thats a long story
i plan on moving to chicago
i need a real city...am done with the east coast for multiple reasons, and the west coast has no heart

this indiana crap with everyone submitting to jesus and forfeiting their sense of self/autonomy...giving up sense of responsibility/ drive in life etc etc
tell me God doesnt enter Chicago??? Philly and other real cities have churches, but thats WAYYYYY different from this *******
everyone here is on this rurally/isolation fed God obsession ...blind lil followers, whereas if you dont go to church, then YOU MUST be out of your mind??? lolololol this state is as backwards as it gets!!! this place needs to sink like atlantis or quickly find a larger russian comet

when i move to there....this doesnt exist there, right????
i realize it will still be the midwest, so i have to ask
please explain how this all works, or better yet, how it DOESNT work in Chicago
thank you

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-16-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,384,196 times
LOL. Your post is a bit odd to say the least. But I'll attempt to answer nonetheless. In terms of religion, Chicago is definitely much more like the liberal East Coast cities than the South, and I'm sure is generally more liberal about religion compared to Indianapolis. I never thought that Indianapolis would be super conservative or anything, but I'm sure it's fairly conservative. After all, Indiana has generally been a Red State. Chicago is one of the Bluest spots in all of America and it's a democratic stronghold and the largest majority of religious folks will be more of your old school Catholics (Polish, Irish, Mexican, Italian, etc.) than anything else. These types of people are not the bible belt folks you'd encounter down south and in the more rural parts of Indiana. I'm surprised about the degree in which you found Indianapolis to be excessively in your face about religion since I thought it was another typical Midwest city.

Also worth mentioning is that the younger yuppie transplants in Chicago from the surrounding Midwest states tend not to be super religious. They're generally more into boosting their careers & mingling with Chad & Trixie at the bar on the weekend than going to church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
ok
in short
i am from philly
i need a real city...am done with the east coast for multiple reasons, and the west coast has no heart

this indiana crap with everyone submitting to jesus and forfeiting their sense of self/autonomy...giving up sense of responsibility/ drive in life etc etc
tell me God doesnt enter Chicago??? Philly and other real cities have churches, but thats WAYYYYY different from this ********
everyone here is on this rurally/isolation fed God obsession ...blind lil followers, whereas if you dont go to church, then YOU MUST be out of your mind??? lolololol this state is as backwards as it gets!!! this place needs to sink like atlantis or quickly find a larger russian comet

thank you

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-16-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 04:45 AM

344 posts, read 837,760 times
whew
well this is a relief to hear
thanks so much
its even common here that people dim the lights and do entire office prayer in major corporations!!!! like wtf
its extremely offensive and unconstitutional at best
but yes, in casual crossings, if people find out you arent into church and god, they are not trying to **** with you....you could be offering bars of gold, still wont **** with you
and yes, the way i expressed how it is here is how i would have in person...i wanted to be thorough, even if risking being taken seriously

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-16-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM

264 posts, read 279,052 times
I would say you will be just fine in Chicago. There are people that go to church, but nobody pushes religion on you. If they did it would be rare and inappropriate.

On a separate note, have you thought about therapy at all?

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,646,647 times
Well lots of us here went to Catholic schools but the main result was proper use of punctuation and capitalization of words rather than religious zeal.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM

827 posts, read 1,086,219 times
Quote:
ok
in short
i am from philly

tell me God doesnt enter Chicago??? Philly and other real cities have churches, but thats WAYYYYY different from this ********

thank you

Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-16-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
The OP would do well to think about what is "unconstitutional". Fact is there are many companies in all kinds of places that have expectations of their employees to share a common faith. The degree to which firms wish to do business with others and / or public bodies is largely the only limit on how ferverent such expectations are fulfilled. The US Constitution is designed to limit the powers of the government...

There is not shortage of organized religions in Chicago and if the OP is looking for someplace that has a total absence of publicly visible religious faithful they really need to rethink coming here -- this past Wednesday many workplaces had signficant numbers of employees with visible signs of the start of Lent.

I further would disagree that there is any signficant "blue state" mindest to be found here in terms of anything other than the "handout depedent voters" that do reliably vote for the bums that make promises regarding generous benefits without regard for the impossibility of delivering... Pretty much all lawsuits against public signs of religious holidays have been filed by a single creepy man whose bitterness overwhelms any legitmate concerns of liberty / expression...

Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,553,974 times
You won't have a problem in Chicago. Very easy to avoid overly religious people here.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM

683 posts, read 4,606,432 times
Quote:
whew
well this is a relief to hear
thanks so much
its even common here that people dim the lights and do entire office prayer in major corporations!!!! like wtf
its extremely offensive and unconstitutional at best
but yes, in casual crossings, if people find out you arent into church and god, they are not trying to **** with you....you could be offering bars of gold, still wont **** with you
and yes, the way i expressed how it is here is how i would have in person...i wanted to be thorough, even if risking being taken seriously
You definitely did risk being taken seriously. I says starting to wonder if I was reading lyrics to a rap song...

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-16-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times
Chicago is definately protected from God. Just look at all the murders and corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago