Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 26,801 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move to Chicago for over 2 years now. I'm moving from Denver and have finally secured a place to live. It was a little more challenging than expected because everyone wanted to set up something sooner than March 1st which was surprising to me. I'm doing the roommate thing for now.

Anyway, the reason for my post....I'll be living in Rogers Park between Howard and Touhy and since I'm a female I'm wondering if the area is safe. I know the place I'm renting seems very secure (gated courtyard, buzzer to get in the building) I thought Rogers Park was a pretty safe choice after everything I've read on here, but when I was there last week the cab driver told me Howard was an "iffy" area so then I started to wonder. I'll be using public transportation mostly and I see there is a stop at Howard I'll probably end up using quite a bit.

Also, moving without my car and don't have a job yet. Figured it would be easier to find a job once I was actually living there. I'm starting to notice a lot of job ads are stating that owning a car is required. Can someone explain this to me and let me know if this is an actual requirement for some jobs? Part of my appeal to living in Chicago is that I won't have to own a car. I know a lot of people there don't, so what gives?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,184,707 times
This kind of depends on where exactly in Rogers Park the place is. Could you give us an address or nearby intersection? There are definitely some parts of that neighborhood that are dicey, and others are fine.

As for the car, I'm guessing that most positions that would require a car are regional sales gigs and the like. The only reason you'd need a car for a job is if you have to go visit clients. Otherwise, as long as you can get to work on time, your employer won't care if you have a car or not.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 26,801 times
N Hoyne Ave between Fargo and Jarvis

Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,149,520 times
I now of many many many jobs that do absolutely require applicants to have a car for transportation -- often this is an indication that there is no "fixed work site". When you sell most things that are used by other businesses or part of retail distribution chain it is genereally understood that you must visit this businesses / stores / bars / resturants in a car and be able to use a GPS device to efficiently plan your day. Similarly if provide a service to business or private citizens you must also be able to go to them. The aging population means everything from health care to financial service and food is becoming more and more oriented toward "home service".

In general the ability to drive form Rogers Park to areas on the north side of the city and surrounding suburbs will make you more employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: