Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo Returns View Post
I have nothing to add here. I should know. I live here.
You have nothing to add yet you resurrect a long dead post to add that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Riiiico Suaaave.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,815,698 times
Chicago: "Be Nice Or We'll Off Ya!"

Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 AM

30 posts, read 66,594 times
I would never place Chicago in the top meanest cities. Even on a bad day. I think Chicago is a friendly city! NYC is much more mean. I like "mean" cities though so I must mention I don't even look at it as insulting. I used to live in Chicago, great city.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM

306 posts, read 472,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionaddict View Post
I would never place Chicago in the top meanest cities. Even on a bad day. I think Chicago is a friendly city! NYC is much more mean. I like "mean" cities though so I must mention I don't even look at it as insulting. I used to live in Chicago, great city.
Chicago is a pretty nice city actually. Upfront and blunt is better than passive aggressive anyways.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM

527 posts, read 1,239,275 times
Default ...

... Moscow is the most expensive city in the world. If you bump my real estate to those levels I am on board... Completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Chicago is a tough nut to figure out....indeed, the best way to describe it is 'What you see is what you get"....social airs or southern manners and mores matter not there. On the bright side, there is no social mask, facile and ultimately fake, as well. If a Chicagoan smiles, he genuinely likes you, if he scowls or gives a blank stare, perhaps he/she just hasn't decided to get to know you yet. I find it very similar to Moscow, and for some of the same reasons. Both cities have brutal winter weather, and a slavic base. Both tilt towards the workers, Moscow so much so that it was the world hotbed of workers rights in the communist era. Both also have a very political job core. I had a Chicago city job in the 80's, and the Daley machines ran things same as the Soviet Politburo(not a mistake that the original old man Daley looked more like a Soviet Premier than a US politician). Chicago also was always a very hard city. Try working 6-7 days a week at the stockyards, steel mills, and such, and try to figure out how you could be ANYTHING but hard..........along with the traditional rough neighborhoods, high crime black and hispanic wards, and general corruption, it is no wonder you find Chicago a angry, hostile city. Put it this way, Chicagoans really do have plenty to appear angry and hostile about, but deep inside are as good as anyone anywhere else......its just a collective and protective survival mechanism engendered by a city with such a harsh past and rough present.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh yeah, i forgot, "God Bless Mayor Daley(the old man, the original "Maredaleey" AKA "Da mare")

BTW, I was watching the St.Patrick's day parade one year, seeing the hundreds of union workers floats, proudly bearing the local number and name(Teamster's 12th, Electricians local #1002), and realizing it was no more different than the Soviet
parading the workers down red square in the May day parade, along with the military. In many ways, Daley indeed looked
and acted like a Soviet Premier, and prob had as much actual power as some with his power to annoint pols up to the White
House(Kennedy). So, Chicago was essentially run like Moscow from '55- '75, in the guise of the Honorable Mayor
Richard J. Daley) Something to think about, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago