Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKennedy View Post
Why aren't Madrid or Tokyo being discussed? From what I'm reading in other sources, it sounds like they too have a better bid put together and show more promise than Rio.
In Tokyo there is significant political opposition to hosting the games, as well as opposition among residents. There is even the possibility of them dropping out of the running after their next elections, depending on which party wins.

Madrid and Prague don't have much of a chance since 2012 is in Europe (London). The IOC doesn't like to go with the same continent twice in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Also, Tokyo has already hosted in 1964. Which is not to say they couldnt get it again, but its pretty unlikely.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Default Olympics-Spire link?????

I'll warn you this may well be an incredibly stupid question. It's hard to really ask a question when you really don't have a basis for possible answers, and I'll have to plead guilty.

After that disclaimer, I'll throw it out:

Is there any possible connection between Chicago getting the 2016 Olympics and restarting Chicago Spire?

I'm not sure why I think there might be and there probably is not, but I get some thoughts running through me...

• does the Olympics generate enough construction and other economic activity over a relatively long 7 year periodin Chicago's core to warrant such a building?

• Chicago's international profile and footprint is large. Would getting the Olympic bid spike that already high profile and appeal to those in the international community that were a target for Chgo Spire units in the first place?

My sense is "no"....an Olympic bid will not jump start Chicago Spire, but I don't know. Ideas?

To mods: I set this up as a separate thread since it really isn't an Olympic or Spire issue alone, but how the two are related. It didn't seem appropriate to me as part of an existing thread.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM

73 posts, read 333,281 times
If we get the olympics, construction will start back up right away. The majority of the people that already bought into the Spire are international buyers. A lot of condo projects will get the green light again. Existing condo prices will most likely stabalize almost instantly as well. I want the Olympics in Chicago for a number of reasons, the biggest being the boost it will bring to the economy. Secondly, if we get the olympics I believe our skyline will get an impressive upgrade by the time 2016 rolls around. F*** New York and the "Freedom Towers".

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
[quote=edsg25;9633450]
• Chicago's international profile and footprint is large. Would getting the Olympic bid spike that already high profile and appeal to those in the international community that were a target for Chgo Spire units in the first place?

quote]

Can't wait until some people get ahold of this quote. (BTW: I do not disagree with the sentiment).

Per the original question, I think there is a good chance the Olympics will rejuvenate the Spire. I would guess that's what O'Reilly is likely banking on. He has already sunk an exorbitant amount of money into construction and marketing, so I'm sure he's hoping the Olympics will influence buyers. Obviously, improvement in the credit market/economy will also have a dramatic impact.

As the previous poster mentioned, this building is (along with Chicago) being marketed to overseas prospects-- a very segmented group with the means to afford the space as a second home/tourist getaway/trophy property. The Olympics would help the buying decisions for the latter two.

FWIW, the AFL/CIO apparently just placed it's investment strength behind the M. Reese land renovation related to the Olympics. While one would hope they would have ante'd up for the Spire, oddly, their leverage with the Olympics could ultimately benefit the Spire.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
may i asssume that even martians landing in chicago and making the windy city the headquarters for their earthwide empire wouldn't be even to get waterview going again?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'll warn you this may well be an incredibly stupid question. It's hard to really ask a question when you really don't have a basis for possible answers, and I'll have to plead guilty.

After that disclaimer, I'll throw it out:

Is there any possible connection between Chicago getting the 2016 Olympics and restarting Chicago Spire?

I'm not sure why I think there might be and there probably is not, but I get some thoughts running through me...

• does the Olympics generate enough construction and other economic activity over a relatively long 7 year periodin Chicago's core to warrant such a building?

My sense is "no"....an Olympic bid will not jump start Chicago Spire, but I don't know. Ideas?

To mods: I set this up as a separate thread since it really isn't an Olympic or Spire issue alone, but how the two are related. It didn't seem appropriate to me as part of an existing thread.
Don't you think that Spire is kind of stupid looking? My guess is that, if it gets finished at all, they will lop about 1000 feet off the thing- just like they did with Trump Tower. I would not live in that thing. Not because it is tall but because, as soon as it is topped off the Arabs are going to think about ways to knock it down.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
as soon as it is topped off the Arabs are going to think about ways to knock it down.
... The Sears Tower and that Toronto CN Needle have been standing, unfettered since 2001. And please don't even mention the toasted Miami brothas that tried to fool the FBI into funding their plot to blow up the Sears Tower. Those guys should be crowned kings of half-cocked fantasyville.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
... The Sears Tower and that Toronto CN Needle have been standing, unfettered since 2001. And please don't even mention the toasted Miami brothas that tried to fool the FBI into funding their plot to blow up the Sears Tower. Those guys should be crowned kings of half-cocked fantasyville.
Yes but every one the cops catch, there are probably 100 others thinking about it that the cops have not caught. And Toronto is in Canada and the Arabs don't hate them as much.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
"The Arabs"?

Pardon me, but it's already evident that you sort of have no idea what you're talking about.

No matter. Let's stay on topic, eh?

The Olympics may be enough to restart the Spire, as they would be a promise of future growth. However, the state of the world economy over the 7 years between now and then is still up in the air, so I don't think anyone's particularly bullish about a massive structure like the Spire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago