Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

An equally valid question: Did his Chicago ever exist? I think he's a poet more than a journalist and I take everything he's said with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Did his Chicago ever exist?
Yeah.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
An equally valid question: Did his Chicago ever exist? I think he's a poet more than a journalist and I take everything he's said with a grain of salt.
Yes, of course it did. Especially prevalent in the large cities of the Northeast and the Midwest, which once upon a time had large Catholic populations within their borders, largely in the years before WW2, but also existing well into the 1970s in some areas. Many of the succeeding generations left for the suburbs--this has been well-documented. No fairy tales here..

Old 09-04-2013, 04:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
[quote=williepotatoes;28639830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Yes the Bee was a real treasure. Full of cops and packed with locals of all shapes and sizes. The old girl gave you great home cooking and the kind of ambience that made the place feel like someones home, not a restaurant. She used to open on holidays because she wanted her regulars to always have a place to go and gather together on special days. She is still living in the burbs somewhere I believe.
It was a treasure in Wicker Park. What a disappointment that it's gone and to be replaced by this:
Wicker Park Lounge & Grill in Chicago, serving classic American cuisine : Blue Line Lounge and Grill

Nearby, I found this article the other day (link below). Obviously there is a market for these treats
but if anyone would venture out a little - there are some old world bakeries and delis which in my
opinion are no match for an $8.00 gelato sandwich. Lost are places like the Gladstone Bakery,
Meyer's German deli on Lincoln Ave, Maries Rip Tide Lounge, oh so many gems are gone.

Black Dog Gelato Quickly Sells Out of Gelato-Doughnut Sandwiches - Ukrainian Village - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Does Royko's Chicago exist? Yes and no, just little patches.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
An equally valid question: Did his Chicago ever exist?
Yes. It has simply become more elusive... he moved to Diversey & Racine in the late 80s as he was chasing it.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
It's the story of America in the 20th century.

You emigrate to America, from Poland, Italy, Germany, Ireland, Scandinavia or one of the many eastern European states ( Czech, Hungary, Lithuania, etc). You're looking for a community of like-minded people, you speak very little English, and you're also looking for work, without many skills. You're sent to the stockyards, or the steel mills, and you suffer through dangerous, backbreaking work, and you slowly learn to speak the English language, and to adapt to American society.

But this takes time. You might join a newly-organized union at work, for protection. You might accept a Christmas turkey, or an occasional loan from a ward leader, in exchange for a vote for the "preferred" candidate at election time. And you continue to keep your eyes open, to learn more and more...so the next generation can benefit from your struggles. " They will have it better than me..."

The Roaring 20s take a turn for the worse, and with the 30s come the Great Depression, and then the 40s, with WW2. The sons of the immigrants are drafted, fight, and return home to an America victorious in war, and in search of a better life. Having seen the country, and the world beyond their ethnic neighborhoods, they want something else. ( Royko was SLIGHTLY younger, but in the same general group) No longer content to settle for factory jobs, and a life confined to the old neighborhoods, they seek an education, and cheap housing loans, through the GI Bill, and eventually graduate from college, and move out to the newly-formed suburbs. They lose the attachment to the old neighborhoods, stop speaking the language, forget about observing the old customs. They become the parents of the baby boom generation..

And the old neighborhoods slowly, but surely, die off.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Fixed that for you. The first one was at the Chicago Stadium, until 1964.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I was very young in 1964.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It's the story of America in the 20th century.
And the old neighborhoods slowly, but surely, die off.
Chinatown?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
I sometimes wonder why European neighborhoods have basically disappeared (now they're often either awful areas or a mix of older ethnic, lower income, and hipster/middle income types) but not Chinatowns in the United States. Hell, there are 500,000 residents in Manhattan alone, and it's absorbing Little Italy!

There must be a steady influx of new Chinese immigrants every generation, whereas the great European migrations (in which they would presumably move to like neighborhoods) have ended. Different cultural standards? A lack of racial assimilation? Political blocs? I really don't know.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I sometimes wonder why European neighborhoods have basically disappeared (now they're often either awful areas or a mix of older ethnic, lower income, and hipster/middle income types) but not Chinatowns in the United States. Hell, there are 500,000 residents in Manhattan alone, and it's absorbing Little Italy!

There must be a steady influx of new Chinese immigrants every generation, whereas the great European migrations (in which they would presumably move to like neighborhoods) have ended. Different cultural standards? A lack of racial assimilation? Political blocs? I really don't know.
I do know that Chicago has Eastern European immigrants but those neighborhoods that EE lived in have
become too expensive, so they have to live further out. I give credit to the Chinese who somehow
have held on to their neighborhoods, and how - I would like to know too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago