Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

He talked a lot about the Billy Goat Tavern being in the shadow of Wrigley Field when he was kid. He talked about the authors like Saul Bellow, he met there. One of the authors, was from Oak Park. They were older than Royko, and well known in their time. He was a journalist and master story teller who wove facts with fiction and made us believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
No, I don't think that Billy Goat location was even open while Royko was alive.

Royko wrote from the oldest existing location, under Michigan Ave near the Tribune Building, which is also the location poked fun at by SNL skits. That location had a lot of newspapermen at the time because of the proximity of both the Tribune and the Sun-Times headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
No, you're flat out wrong. The BIlly Goat was by the Wrigley BUILDING and the Trib, NOT Wrigley Field.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
No, you're flat out wrong. The BIlly Goat was by the Wrigley BUILDING and the Trib, NOT Wrigley Field.
Yes, I visited the Billy Goat once years ago....really nothing special.

I also think that Royko took some cues from Studs Terkel, as well...

Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Some newspaper people still hang out at the Goat but it's kind of just theater.

You are more likely to meet vegan yoga teaching reporters now than drunk chain smokers.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Of course she's wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
What the heck would a Hyde Parker like Saul Bellow being doing at the Goat?

Next thing you know she'll be telling us Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright used to toss back Zombies at Hala Kahiki.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Royko himself ended up in very posh Winnetka on the North Shore with a young second family.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Ask the Mexicans, Arabs and Poles, they're the ones "off the boat" and with the current ethnic neighborhoods. Not many post here though.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Royko always wanted to be Nelson Algren, but he was smart enough to know that he would die broke and hungry going that route. Instead he became a daily muckraker who literally explained Chicago to people from a barstool. He was very good at it until he went to the Trib in the 80's where he really lost his mojo. From then on his writings got progressively less humorous and much more snarly and bitter.

His kind will never be seen again, the world has changed too much. Supposedly, the last thing he told his son before he fell ill was "never, never turn into a Sox fan".

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
He also had more than a little ethnic humor, which wouldn't play as well today, although his last columns weren't all that long ago...

In his biography, the author seemd to emphasize the stress that writing a daily column had on him, even though he had a full-time assistant helping him do the legwork....a pretty good introduction into old-time journalism, at least post-1957, or so...

Royko's exposes on the Chicago under Daley I were pretty fascinating, though..

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ask the Mexicans, Arabs and Poles, they're the ones "off the boat" and with the current ethnic neighborhoods. Not many post here though.
Yep, this is the real answer. Those old ethnic enclaves are dead and gone. Mostly replaced by new ethnics who happen to not be white, so of course theyre not considered cool.

As for who posts on this board, I wonder how many posters are actually from Chicago - I mean born and raised. In all my years working in various Chicago high tech companies, I can count the number of White people actually from Chicago on one hand. They were always from down state, small town Iowa, or the suburbs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago