Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM

410 posts, read 634,053 times

Advertisements

I travel via Amtrak quite often, and I would only recommend rail if you're traveling between major cities with public transit (Bos-Wash corridor, Chicago, San Francisco etc) Do not try to take the train to rural locations though. The train will be significantly older than the models used in more heavily used lines, and the seats will probably be wooden.

I think there is something like interrailing, I haven't looked into it but this looks promising: Amtrak - Reservations - Multi Ride - Find Ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Rail in America sucks. Nobody uses it, it only lives due to massive Federal subsidies. It is not as bad as Greyhound but it is trying hard! Fly or drive. You will find the experience much more rewarding!
It's not true that "nobody" uses it. Try to get a reservation on a summer Amtrak train out west. The subsidy amount is down to about 20% of operating costs. But yes, the service is poor. Often one train or less per day to most destinations. And they often get sidetracked for freight trains or suffer mechanical breakdowns, so forget about on time performance.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Back in college I did take a train from Milwaukee to Seattle (the Empire Builder which starts in Chicago). Mainly because one of my friends wanted to do something "cool" for Spring Break and apparently taking a train is cool. Or at least it felt "European" and therefore exotic to him. Since I was used to the train systems in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, I was very underwhelmed. The train was very slow and eventually more than 2 hrs late. Many cities were reached late at night which is very inconvenient for the average traveler.
It was an experience though, I'll give you that. But flying out to Seattle would've cost almost the same. If we'd booked a bed in a sleeper coach it would've been much more expensive than a flight. So, better fly to the places that you're interested in. Depending on where that is you may be able to use the train or busses for smaller distances (such New York - Boston). You can also get around California pretty easily by train or bus.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:14 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I don't think the trains here are quite as bad as people are characterizing them, though the information is by and large correct.

You can't buy a comprehensive pass or anything, but if you buy your ticket early you can get it for very cheap; far cheaper than the cost of driving.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 AM

240 posts, read 464,846 times
Gatsby, I know this all has to be very disappointing to you. Still, is your friend from here and does he/she own a car? Then you can have a perfectly good time traveling the country and seeing what it has to offer. I think everyone on here can agree you would have fun doing that and just be seriously upset with your Amtrak experience. Let us know what you end up doing, but don't let us deter you from seeing the rest of the country, cuz you definitely still can!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:26 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It's not true that "nobody" uses it. Try to get a reservation on a summer Amtrak train out west. The subsidy amount is down to about 20% of operating costs. But yes, the service is poor. Often one train or less per day to most destinations. And they often get sidetracked for freight trains or suffer mechanical breakdowns, so forget about on time performance.
Yeah. Just how a foreign visitor wants to spend vacation. Sidetracked or broke down in the middle of Minnesota!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Warning: I'm a railfan. Take Amtrak's "Empire Builder" from Chicago to Portland, about a two day trip. You can then ride south to the Bay Area if you like or the EB offers a Seattle option. Terrific scenery, you go right through Glacier National Park. Go for it!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't think Europeans have any idea of the immensity of the United States. Most of Europe can do train travel partly because the cities are close together.

You seriously cannot see the U.S. by train even if we had a high speed rail network because the distances are prohibitive. New York City to Chicago is 711 miles. London to Paris is 211 miles. Paris to Rome is 687 miles. Paris to Geneva is 334 miles.

If you wanted to go coast to coast here, you are talking about New York to LA which is 2800 miles.

Now if you are staying in NYC and want to visit places nearby - Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, then train is doable. But even on the west coast, LA to San Franciso to Portland or Seattle is pretty difficult.
Actually Europe is bigger than the US:

Europe: Area: 3,930,000 sq mi[n]

Population: 739,165,030[n]

US: Area: 3,794,101 sq mi

Population: 315,464,000[5]

Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Actually Europe is bigger than the US:

Europe: Area: 3,930,000 sq mi[n]

Population: 739,165,030[n]

US: Area: 3,794,101 sq mi

Population: 315,464,000[5]
However, it is a different shape and thus the distances from point to point are less.

Travel Distances in Europe | USA Today

Quote:
Traveling from country to country in Europe is much less time-consuming than you may think. Excellent train systems and surprisingly short distances make traveling between destinations an enjoyable part of the European tour experience. Traveling to and from popular cities usually takes less than a day. Knowing the distances and time needed for travel will help you plan an exciting and efficient tour of Europe.
Lots more on the website about distances and time.

Quote:
Brussels to Amsterdam

Traveling to Amsterdam from Brussels is a journey of 130 miles through the Dutch countryside. A Eurorail train ride takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes. You can try some delicious Belgium chocolates and visit the famous Red Light District of Amsterdam all in one day.

Amsterdam to Berlin

Amsterdam is 408 miles from Berlin. This train ride is 6 hours, and will take you through much of the German countryside. It often includes a 25-minute train transfer in northern Germany. You will arrive in the stunning and modern Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

Berlin to Prague

Prague is famous for its delicious beer and exciting nightlife. Berlin is 220 miles from Prague and takes about 5 hours to get to by train. The Czech Republic is part of the European Union but does not use the euro currency, so you will need to exchange money for the Czech koruna.

Prague to Vienna

Prague is 194 miles from the Austrian city of Vienna. A train ride will take about 4 hours and 30 minutes. The trip takes you through beautiful rolling hills dotted with castles. Vienna is a city filled with history and culture, and the impressive architecture will greet you right as you step off the train.
A guide to train travel in the USA | Coast to coast by Amtrak from $218

Quote:
The 3,000 mile coast-to-coast train ride takes 3 nights, if you do it without stopovers.

There's a choice of 4 or 5 different routes, each with their own character, the recommended routes are explained below. By all means stop off on the way, but remember that a separate ticket/reservation is needed for each leg.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
..Not just a question of different shapes .. How much of the Europe area includes European Russia ( to the Urals) ? . Remove that, as travel in that country has a very different character than in the countries to the west , and factor in population density, and you have Western Europe being much more like the Northeast corridor of the US .
The European visitors I know have always remarked on the distances once they arrive in the midwest .and the heat and humidity in the Summer compared to home . And lately , how favorable the prices and shopping are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago