Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,849,035 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why you seem to have a problem with whites socializing together. I am sure you can easily find 100% black or Mexican bars in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,561,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
lol, ****inh hipsters.

well the wicker park hipsters are more....diverse i think. well those who go to art showings. the bars....yeah i can see that.
I haven't seen a hipster in Wicker Park in years. It's Lincoln Park all over again and Logan is next. Skinny jeans and irony are just cultural norms for middle class white people.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

230 posts, read 384,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
on the bar scene. 20 or more of white guy 1 black guy no problem. 20 black guys and one archie bunker ??? lets put it this way if you are the only white there u had better be a cute blonde.
I was in a bar in South Shore in January - the only white guy - and it was just another evening for me at a bar. No one cared.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Dude, it was one bar. There's over 70,000 people living in Logan Square and I can guarantee you only a small percentage of them go to Weegee's.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,010,602 times
hipsters make me laugh.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 AM

7,107 posts, read 8,882,143 times
People watching makes me laugh. I love watching the scene in Boystown on Saturday night. It is so funny seeing them with their little attitudes try to figure out what to do with their evening.

Same can be said about Wrigleyville. The frat types are so funny trying to be hip. I would live to see how they dance. Lol!

Let me get back on topic. I've read articles about how segregated the club scene is in New York and LA. Is it that much worse in Chicago?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM

3,870 posts, read 6,776,587 times
"Diversity" is a term that gets loosely thrown around. People judge Lincoln Park as though its a bunch of single white frat guys. Really LP has plenty of families and other racial types represented. The reason people judge LP as such is because of the bar scene. Most bars are filled with the Single White frat guy types. Same can be said for your Logan Square experience.

The area is very diverse but the bar scene is not. Particularly the bar you went to. I used to live in Wicker Park and whenever I would go to the local bars it was filled with hipster/creative types. I have zero tattoos/piercings and I was certainly out of place when I walked in. I still rocked it though and had fun. I wish everyone would just stop labeling everything....

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Bars in Uptown aren't very diverse either, even though it's one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the U.S. Uptown is really just a bunch of isolated enclaves who don't talk to one another.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,105,312 times
Weegee's has actually become more welcoming over the years. When it started out, they'd laugh you out of the joint if you ordered the wrong drink. The whole point of the place is to be a snobby "mixology" joint, so it's not catering to a diverse clientele to begin with, which isn't to say that anyone wouldn't be welcome there. I don't go there or places like Scofflaw, Violet Hour etc. very often because I'm not a fancy cocktail kind of guy (and definitely not a hipster) but when I do feel like paying too much for drinks made by a guy with a steampunk mustache and a vest, I'll go and I won't feel out of place at all.
Next time you're in Logan, go a little east on Armitage and check out Marble. It's still hipster heavy, but definitely more diverse in terms of clientele IMO. It's my personal favorite (and conveniently located for me) It also has a great patio in the warmer months. Might be a better fit for you next time you're in my neck of the woods.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,010,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
People watching makes me laugh. I love watching the scene in Boystown on Saturday night. It is so funny seeing them with their little attitudes try to figure out what to do with their evening.

Same can be said about Wrigleyville. The frat types are so funny trying to be hip. I would live to see how they dance. Lol!

Let me get back on topic. I've read articles about how segregated the club scene is in New York and LA. Is it that much worse in Chicago?
is being a hipster still cool in hipster cicles? Is it a lifestyle or a fad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago