Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 37,593 times

Advertisements

My son attends Robert Morris Univ on State St and the University Center is so expensive. It will be $14K next year. Fornelli is out of the question. Any ideas where he, and 3 buddies, can find cheaper housing within the transportation lines? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
What type of budget per person do you think?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Oh, I guess that would help! Maybe $500-700 a student?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumanyanimals View Post
Oh, I guess that would help! Maybe $500-700 a student?
What kind of things are they into? I think you could definitely do this, although the number of 4 bedroom housing stock is probably a lot less than 3 bedroom out there. At the upper end of that..$625-$700/month is where you'd want to look.

If they're more artistic type of people, then they might want to have a look in an area like Logan Square along the Blue Line or maybe Ukrainian Village:

in Logan Square - https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...64075&src=main

if they're "typical" college kids and into sports, drinking (not to say that Logan Square doesn't have a lot of drinking near it...), etc then they might want to look at an area like Lakeview or if they can't find that, then some of the areas right near there like North Center or Ravenswood. For example:

https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...86446&src=main

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Wow, thank you for the input! I need to start somewhere. Actually, they are 4 buddies who play on the football team and very studious (SERIOUSLY!). We would need 2 bedrooms, with 2 twins in each room, 1 bath. We HAVE to find a way to not spend $14K a year room/board at University Center! Thanks so much.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumanyanimals View Post
Wow, thank you for the input! I need to start somewhere. Actually, they are 4 buddies who play on the football team and very studious (SERIOUSLY!). We would need 2 bedrooms, with 2 twins in each room, 1 bath. We HAVE to find a way to not spend $14K a year room/board at University Center! Thanks so much.
Hah...no need to say "serious." I had friends on my uni's football team who were very studious.

Do you *have* to have 2 bedrooms or can you have more? What I showed you above has 4 bedrooms in your range. You can DEFINITELY go down to 3 bedrooms if you really want to and get even more bang for your buck. In fact, I have a friend in Lakeview who rents out a huge 3 bedroom place with 4 people total, but there were 2 living rooms, so they just converted the 2nd living room to a bedroom and everyone has their own bedroom...

if you go with a 3 bedroom, you could probably get stuff in the middle of your range (and possibly even lesser) but you'd really have to see about the dimensions of the bedrooms. Sometimes places don't exactly have the largest bedrooms.. There are also far more places with 3 bedrooms available than 4 bedrooms in the city I believe.

If they're fine with 2 bedrooms then that's even better if they're really into staying in a place like Near North Side in a high rise (well, for some places)...but the bedrooms will be small. Personally I'd look for 3 and 4 bedroom places, but that's just me. Can definitely get a place in areas like Lakeview, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, Ravenswood, North Center, and SOMETIMES Lincoln Park or Old Town. If they want somewhere quiet, but not far away from restaurants/bars then you should look in Ravenswood or North Center. The commute to RMU will be longer, but with the budget there are constraints.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,407 times
I might catch flak for this, but I'm going to suggest Hyde Park. The neighborhood is already filled with University of Chicago students, and this sort of living arrangement is very common. I think the South Side tends to have more apartments with 4+ bedrooms. I've actually heard of U of C students in 6-bedroom apartments in Hyde Park. In your price range, you can almost certainly afford for each student to have his own bedroom unless you're looking in an expensive area. Anyway, for Hyde Park, the transit to and from the Loop is very easy until about 12:30 am, and it's the definition of a quiet Chicago neighborhood. Bridgeport might also have what you're looking for. For the north side, I'd recommend Logan Square.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Hi, I will check this out. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
A place I used to live at is pretty nice in the West Loop. Presidential Towers. It has a Walmart built-in to it also which is open 24 hours for residents. That whole area is pretty nice, right next to Greektown. I know a good bunch of students stay there that go to UIC. I'm not sure on pricing though, but that's a place you can also look at.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I might catch flak for this, but I'm going to suggest Hyde Park. The neighborhood is already filled with University of Chicago students, and this sort of living arrangement is very common. I think the South Side tends to have more apartments with 4+ bedrooms. I've actually heard of U of C students in 6-bedroom apartments in Hyde Park. In your price range, you can almost certainly afford for each student to have his own bedroom unless you're looking in an expensive area. Anyway, for Hyde Park, the transit to and from the Loop is very easy until about 12:30 am, and it's the definition of a quiet Chicago neighborhood. Bridgeport might also have what you're looking for. For the north side, I'd recommend Logan Square.
Very true ..A lot of the six flats in Hyde Park were built in the early 20th century to accommodate middle class and affluent families .They are 'Railroad' layout 3 and 4 bedrooms..some even larger .. Typically , the original living room or dining room is used as a bedroom,and/ or there's a bedroom off the kitchen ( for the servant/cook) . They're vintage..kept up to a point that serves a 'captive' student population .. with some vestiges of bygone opulence ( or, the occasional discovery of a papered over black light poster ..) . There is competition for these apartments with the U of C student body , so now's the time to start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago