Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You need to learn about context....
I have no problem with a black neighbor who goes to work everyday, keeps a clean yard, is a good neighbor and has 8 kids.

I do have a problem with a black neighbor (or white, or brown, or purple) who doesn't work, who doesn't value education, who has 8 kids with no father around, who's yard is filled with clutter, who's kids are not well mannered, etc, etc. You get my picture. And if you say you wouldn't mind having this neighbor, then I'd probably say you're being a liar.

As 123 has said, we don't care the color of the skin, we care about that person. Life isn't a beer commercial where you have a black, white, hispanic and asian guys all yucking it up at a bar.
Couldn't agree more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Blacks are a target for violence? People get shot everywhere regardless of their skin color......

Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
So basically what half of you are saying is if I was born in Englewood,Cabrini Greens, or Roseland I am destined to be on welfare with 10 kids?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Why do non-blacks seem to consider themselves experts on the black experience?
I don't. However, as far as this forum is concerned, I DO consider myself an expert on predominately black south suburbs. I hope you weren't talking about me.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah I'm sure that comment on simple minded people wasn't directed towards me.

You know what? After reading some more of your posts I firmly beleive that you are a member of that group. My apologies.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You know what? After reading some more of your posts I firmly beleive that you are a member of that group. My apologies.
Hey, I admire your honesty! Better to be upfront!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Exacly! The problem is that many white assume ALL blacks are low-class and from the ghetto. When you are black and display any level of intelligence or they learn you have a decent job or are educated they are shocked. Some get downright angry when you don't fit the stereotypes. I think that stems from some white who believe they should be privileged and have access to education and opportunity. White superioty has been build on the notion that only whites should be the educated, wealthy haves and blacks should be the poor, uneducated have nots there to serve them. So when they meet blacks on equal footing, it shatters their notion of superiority.

If one more white person calls me "articulate"...I swear to Santa! LOL!
I just scratch my head wondering who these white people are, and in what bubble they live in. I went to UIUC over 20 years ago and there were plenty of black kids there, including my freshman roommate from the South Side.

I wonder how much of it is people with an inferiority complex. I've read in more than a few places this is why so many poor Southern whites supported slavery (relatively speaking, few white people actually owned slaves, a few very wealthy white people owned the vast majority, using the plantation model), that it made them feel better than somebody. Pathetic.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Man, this thread blew up quickly.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
So basically what half of you are saying is if I was born in Englewood,Cabrini Greens, or Roseland I am destined to be on welfare with 10 kids?
Who is saying that?

There's no question growing up in an area like one of these means you are more likely to get shot for no reason whatsoever than if you grow up in Forest Glen or the Gold Coast.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I just scratch my head wondering who these white people are, and in what bubble they live in. I went to UIUC over 20 years ago and there were plenty of black kids there, including my freshman roommate from the South Side.

I wonder how much of it is people with an inferiority complex. I've read in more than a few places this is why so many poor Southern whites supported slavery (relatively speaking, few white people actually owned slaves, a few very wealthy white people owned the vast majority, using the plantation model), that it made them feel better than somebody. Pathetic.
And the rich likes it like that.

I used to know a white guy who dropped out of high school and sold weed out of his girlfriend's mom's house in Steger where he lived. He complained about black people committing crime in the neighborhood.

Last edited by urza216; 03-25-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago