Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times

Advertisements

NOTHING is going on in Illinois, not even Chicago as far as I'm concerned regarding film/tv work (as an actor). I just moved here this year, not for any acting reason, just to relocate overall. I came from the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Lots of things happening there as far as being an extra/background actor. To prove my point: Look at the Illinois Film Commisssion's website for casting calls (it's empty!), now look at the Maryland Film Commission (plenty!). I was in several films as an extra/background actor in a History Channel film (Countdown To Ground Zero), and the final season of HBO's "The Wire". I appeared in 1 local car dealership commercial, auditioned for America's Most Wanted, and other films, etc. I am disappointed in Illinois, even Chicago doesn't have anything going on. No wonder the city lost the Olympics, and Chicagoans appear happy about this. Looks like a bunch of self-defeatist, and Chicagoans probably know there's really nothing here so that's why they made a pass on the Olympics. Again, no offense to anyone. It's just a really big city that's all, with skycrapers, etc. so does every other city in the Midwest/and the South! Lame! I'm still doing research if anything comes up about Chicago's entertainment industry. And oh the last "major" film that the Illinois Film Commission commissioned was The Weatherman (2005), with Nicholas Cage. Sad...So how's the music scene in Chicago? I've been hearing it's mediocre, with mediocre musicians (not my words, someone else's!) No wonder Perry Farrell has been bringing his Lollapalooza in Chicago to make the city appear "alive" when it comes to music. I'm very lost as to why the city its size is lagging. I think it's the segregation thing. No one wants to work with one another. I think people in Chicago or planning on moving to Chicago are more concerned about "which neighborhoods they want to be in" etc. I think this is the main scene in Chicago, being in this or that neighborhood, talking about which pizza is great, when you know pizza making has NOTHING to do with the city, it's all about the oven, ingredients, how its made, and so on. Anyone can emulate a CHicago or NYC pizza anywhere in the world. Absolutely disappointing! What are your opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
NOTHING is going on in Illinois, not even Chicago as far as I'm concerned regarding film/tv work (as an actor). I just moved here this year, not for any acting reason, just to relocate overall. I came from the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Lots of things happening there as far as being an extra/background actor. To prove my point: Look at the Illinois Film Commisssion's website for casting calls (it's empty!), now look at the Maryland Film Commission (plenty!). I was in several films as an extra/background actor in a History Channel film (Countdown To Ground Zero), and the final season of HBO's "The Wire". I appeared in 1 local car dealership commercial, auditioned for America's Most Wanted, and other films, etc. I am disappointed in Illinois, even Chicago doesn't have anything going on. No wonder the city lost the Olympics, and Chicagoans appear happy about this. Looks like a bunch of self-defeatist, and Chicagoans probably know there's really nothing here so that's why they made a pass on the Olympics. Again, no offense to anyone. It's just a really big city that's all, with skycrapers, etc. so does every other city in the Midwest/and the South! Lame! I'm still doing research if anything comes up about Chicago's entertainment industry. And oh the last "major" film that the Illinois Film Commission commissioned was The Weatherman (2005), with Nicholas Cage. Sad...So how's the music scene in Chicago? I've been hearing it's mediocre, with mediocre musicians (not my words, someone else's!) No wonder Perry Farrell has been bringing his Lollapalooza in Chicago to make the city appear "alive" when it comes to music. I'm very lost as to why the city its size is lagging. I think it's the segregation thing. No one wants to work with one another. I think people in Chicago or planning on moving to Chicago are more concerned about "which neighborhoods they want to be in" etc. I think this is the main scene in Chicago, being in this or that neighborhood, talking about which pizza is great, when you know pizza making has NOTHING to do with the city, it's all about the oven, ingredients, how its made, and so on. Anyone can emulate a CHicago or NYC pizza anywhere in the world. Absolutely disappointing! What are your opinions on this?
Wow - someone call the wahhmbulance! wahhhhhh! wahhhhhh!

You might as well just go elsewhere dude, you're not going to find a ton of shoulders here to whine and sob on......

Regardless, didn't they film Batmat here in 2007/2008? Root of All Evil? Helix? Eagle Eye? Public Enemies last year? The Beast filmed here, They're also starting on filming another of the Meet The Parents sequal (Little Fockers), as well as multiple commercials for things like Honda, US Cellular, Miller Lite, Nike, Buick, Garmin GPS, Budweiser, Harris Bank, etc. within the past month.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-06-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
...Regardless, didn't they film...They're also starting on filming another of the Meet The Parents sequal (Little Fockers)...
Yep. They started shooting yesterday I believe.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-06-2009 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
...What are your opinions on this?
Smells like troll spirit.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
funny, I had a few classmates get roles as extras in Public Enemies when it was shooting here. don't equate bad luck w/ lack of opportunities. this isn't LA or NYC, but if you look (and nor even that hard as compared to, say, Boston or most of NE), you'll find something

Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
Oh well I guess I have not looked hard enough. It should have been a simple find, and from the IL film commission there are NONE, no casting calls.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Oh well I guess I have not looked hard enough. It should have been a simple find, and from the IL film commission there are NONE, no casting calls.
guess that means you should put in some leg work and look beyond a single website, eh?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I know nothing about the movers and shakers, but I found these links. It's a craps shoot, but, it might offer a clue. Half the fun of research is learning, and perhaps meeting someone new who shares your enthusiasm for your craft. .

1- Publicity Club of Chicago: Publicity Club of Chicago (http://www.publicity.org/index.htm - broken link)
2- Chicago Entertainment: Entertainment Corporate Marketing Solutions (CMS) (http://chicago.entertainment.com/cms/about_us.htm - broken link)
3- Washington Post list of Entertainment industry Company jobs in Chicago and nearby.
4- I don't know how fresh this is: Entertainment Industry Company jobs in Chicago, IL - washingtonpost.com
5- Old but may have value: Entertainment Industry Fridays @ Amira in NBC Tower - AdGabber
6- Bi-weekly Chicago Trade newspaper for theatre and film: About Performink, Chicago's Entertainment Industry News Source : PerformInk Online
7- Four city design firm (includes Chicago) aimed at entertainment industry. The website leaves much to be deisred: http://www.myspace.com/freshstylechicago
8- 929 Chicago film and actors meetup groups. You can also find Adult Entertainment meetup, too: http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords...tButton=Search

Last edited by linicx; 10-11-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,261 times
I need help!!! I recently just graduated cosmetology school and I have no idea where to start?! I don't want just a salon job I would love to get out there and assist in film or on set of anything. Any advice on how you all got started??? That would be amazing thanks so much

Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM

29 posts, read 49,615 times
I didn't feel like reading through the thread, but look at the city and state "film" websites. I can't remember the exact title, but for the state I think the name is like the Illinois Film Commision or something like that. They have job postings sometimes. Google it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago