Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 AM

344 posts, read 841,466 times

Advertisements

some local labels that at least exclusively make electronic dance music?
local djs and producers that play at clubs?
and most importantly, CLUBS, at least 1 or 2, that have a drum n bass night AND their sound setup is optimal for it?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,129 times
Smart Bar has drum and bass nights from time to time...although dubstep has eaten away at some of those nights. It's really your only club option with the rest being underground. For the most part, it's a pretty dead scene.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I didn't realize that genre was still around... Thought it was more of a 90s thing.

serepent, ever hear of Wax Trax?

Wax Trax! Chicago | Official Home Of Chicago's Wax Trax! Records

Also, look back at the history of House music... Came from Detroit and Chicago.

I realize that neither of these references is very current, but Chicago has a long proud history in electronic music. It usually comes from the underground, however, and not any mainstream club scene in River North.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM

359 posts, read 549,050 times
I once read somewhere that clubs were reluctant to have DnB nights; apparantly it didnt really draw large enough crowds, or if it did, they were usually all-male, which in the club business never lasts long (after all, most guys dont want to go to a club that has nothing but other males there...sausage fest).

Although it is a really high energy type of music, its not really a type of music that one can dance to. Personnally I like DnB (especially artists like LTJ Bukem), but it was always something I would put on in the background while studying or working around the house, but could never really "dance" to it.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I once read somewhere that clubs were reluctant to have DnB nights; apparantly it didnt really draw large enough crowds, or if it did, they were usually all-male, which in the club business never lasts long (after all, most guys dont want to go to a club that has nothing but other males there...sausage fest).

Although it is a really high energy type of music, its not really a type of music that one can dance to. Personnally I like DnB (especially artists like LTJ Bukem), but it was always something I would put on in the background while studying or working around the house, but could never really "dance" to it.
LTJ Bukem swings through Smart Bar once a year or so.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM

359 posts, read 549,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
LTJ Bukem swings through Smart Bar once a year or so.
You are right - he does. I will have to keep an eye out for him next time he comes thru.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,164,295 times
Chicago is the house music capitol of the world. Forget about d'n'b, become a true house-head, you'll be happier for it.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM

There aren't that many places to listen to house music in Chicago either and again Smart Bar is the best option.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
There aren't that many places to listen to house music in Chicago either and again Smart Bar is the best option.
Not true, Output on Grand Ave and Grandbar on Western are booking some of chicago's best house dj's regularly, and there's south side joints I'm less familiar with that are all house, it's out there if you're looking for it.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM

I've said this many times, but to repeat, for anyone looking or d'n'b, or house, or whatever electronic dance scene, go to Gramaphone records on Clark (near Diversey) and pick up the flyers. There's hundreds of events being advertised there, it's where all the dj's shop, it's one of the best shops in the world for dance 12"s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago