Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
2. And more broadly, a lack of empathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
It's a weird kind of narcissism.
I'll give people the benefit of the doubt, and attribute it to cluelessness/spaciness. Some people are just not used to the urban pace of things or having people all around them. The public realm in most parts of the United States is so degraded or non-existent, that many people don't even know how to behave in public any more. They live a life in a single-family house with no sidewalks, and only leave their house by car to go to work in an office park or shop in a single-story big box free-for-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'll give people the benefit of the doubt, and attribute it to cluelessness/spaciness. Some people are just not used to the urban pace of things or having people all around them. The public realm in most parts of the United States is so degraded or non-existent, that many people don't even know how to behave in public any more. They live a life in a single-family house with no sidewalks, and only leave their house by car to go to work in an office park or shop in a single-story big box free-for-all.
I think it's increasingly that people are zoned out due to headphones, cellphones, bluetooth and the like. Technology is the imbecile's enabler.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think it's increasingly that people are zoned out due to headphones, cellphones, bluetooth and the like. Technology is the imbecile's enabler.
For sure, you definitely see this out and about just about everywhere these days. But the escalator-top dawdlers always seem to be in awe of the merchandise before them, or trying to figure out which way to go, like the poster who first brought this up said.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
how about the people that cant wait for others to exit the elevator or el and they start entering. I know oftentimes each person is entering/exiting on the right, but still sometimes there are too many people that need to exit the el or elevator and they just cant go single file.

the other thing that bugs me (because im sorta crabby is when there are several people exiting an elevator, and one is a female. I know it is men being gracious to women, however, if the woman is behind all the men, the first man closest to the exit wont get off till the female gets off, however, she cant get off because all the men are blocking her. In some cases, practicality should outweigh the men being gracious to the woman in such a situation.

or, sometimes in the elevator, the cleaning lady with the HUGE CART will get on, and then I am in the back of the elevator. my floor comes and I have to get off. But her huge cart is in my way.. This cleaning lady stands to the side and waves me to go ahead. But her #$!#$#! cart is in my way and I'd have to trip over it or skin my leg to get by her $#$#@!! cart.

there i said i was crabby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago