U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 8,712 times

Advertisements

Hi - My wife and I are visiting your town in September and would like to spend a day at Arlington Races on a Saturday. I was hoping you locals could provide me with some advice on getting to Arlington Park via public transport from the downtown area. I know there is a train from OTC to the track on the North West / Union Pacific line which takes 50 mins. What I'm hoping for is some feedback on whether that's the best way to get there or is a bus a better alternative. Is the area around the OTC safe -especially late Saturday afternoon / evening . I guess we would get a cab to and from it to downtown ( haven't booked accomodation yet but am looking to the north end of downtown ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM

968 posts, read 2,490,043 times
The area around Ogilvie is perfectly safe ..if the weather's nice, and you're staying downtown , you can walk there with no worries .. North end of downtown probably means Michigan Avenue north of the river , or River North ,,either way , not a bad stroll . always plenty of cabs when you return as well .

Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM

955 posts, read 1,697,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1961 View Post
Hi - My wife and I are visiting your town in September and would like to spend a day at Arlington Races on a Saturday. I was hoping you locals could provide me with some advice on getting to Arlington Park via public transport from the downtown area. I know there is a train from OTC to the track on the North West / Union Pacific line which takes 50 mins. What I'm hoping for is some feedback on whether that's the best way to get there or is a bus a better alternative. Is the area around the OTC safe -especially late Saturday afternoon / evening . I guess we would get a cab to and from it to downtown ( haven't booked accomodation yet but am looking to the north end of downtown ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
That train is the best way to the track from downtown and the OTC is safe. Arlington is a beautiful track and a good place to spend a lazy afternoon.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,855,900 times
Definately MUCH nicer to take Metra than try to cob together some buses or pay big bucks for a cab ride - train station is RIGHT ON the grounds of Arlington Park. Weekend service has no express train but the ride is a very pleasant 50 minutes and train depart hourly. Air conditioned comfort and a lavatory in every car (the handicapped accessible cars have the largest facilities...) Union Pacific / Northwest (UP-NW) Schedule

Last official day of racing is scheduled to be Sept 14 -- Arlington Park 2013 Stakes Schedule

It is one of the prettiest race courses around and the staff is quite good adept at helping out-of-towners feel at ease, they get a fair amount of Asian tourists as well as many locals / regulars.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,712 times
Thank you all for the information - it's much appreciated. We're counting the days till we get there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>